The online racing simulator
For the first time I noticed sputtering sound (engine damage) on the XRR yesterday driving around AS National.

I usually drive all car with throttle cut on upshift off as it is faster. But for the first time I had to turn it on in order to save the engine on the XRR. I could have lifted while shifting but it tired my right knees a lot.

On all the other car.. flat shifting does almost no noticable damage.

Concerning the red line. I think they should lower the red line / revlimiter to a more reasonable level as it is WAY to high on almost all car now. The engine run out of steam way before the redline as stated before.

PS: for the guys saying there is no fuel cut on modern car. Your avatar is a mustang five-oh, and the limiter IS fuel-cut on that car.. I used to own one for over 5 years and knew a lot about them.

Bye.

CoReMiataMath
Quote from Math302ho :PS: for the guys saying there is no fuel cut on modern car. Your avatar is a mustang five-oh, and the limiter IS fuel-cut on that car.. I used to own one for over 5 years and knew a lot about them.

Yup. But since those cars haven't been made in over 15 years, I wouldn't really call them "modern". Just fun.
Quote from Math302ho :On all the other car.. flat shifting does almost no noticable damage.

On FXR, flatshifting does damage the engine!
Quote from Renku :On FXR, flatshifting does damage the engine!

LX4+LX6 too
#30 - axus
I flatshift in all cars... which car does flatshifting cause engine damage in? If you flatshift and hit rev limiter, surely it wouldn't cause damage because the rev limiter is bellow the point of engine damage (not just normal wear and tear - proper damage leading to misfires).

As for the comment about BMW M engines, the only not-so-strong engine made by BMW M in recent years is the E46 M3 engine and there is a factory fix to strenghten the engine IIRC, that won't cost you money. I have seen the E36 M3 M50 (3.0l which already has 287bhp stock) engine boosting 2 bar+ reliably - if that is a weak engine then I don't know what is a strong one. If you don't believe me, here is a link. Then new M5/M6 engine has been tested at 10000rpm but its redline is at 8500rpm. The old M5 engine was indestructible.
The point is that usually grocery getter engines (BMW M engines are hopped up grocery getters, not race hardware) are designed to live for a very long time despite a good bit of abuse and what not. Thus the ability to carefully add a couple bar of boost and have them live for a good while.

The E46 M3 motor was an example of the engineers getting it just a bit wrong. It took them quite a long time to figure out what was going on, which actually involved more than one part and more than one oversight. In the meantime, people were putting holes in blocks with a few thousand miles on them. Similar oversights in a Chevy Ecotech driven by grandmothers might have only shown up after the warranty period expired.

As noted before, sometimes banging against the rev-limiter will cause engine damage unrelated to the stresses of the engine speed. For instance, fuel-cut limiters causing detonation, or spark-cut/retard limiters allowing fuel to cook the exhaust valves. Running any motor against the limiter at WOT is a risky proposition, sometimes its a downright dangerous thing to do.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG