The online racing simulator
How to know if you have a blue flag
How do you know if the person you're attempting to pass has a blue flag? I don't see any marker that would tell you. Any help would be appreciated.
#2 - amp88
Look at the race order list on the right of the screen. If you're ahead of the person you're trying to pass in the list on the right then they'll be getting a blue flag.
Quote from BlackSheep720 :How do you know if the person you're attempting to pass has a blue flag? I don't see any marker that would tell you. Any help would be appreciated.

Use the map. Yellow triangles are cars ahead, orange are cars behind.

If you're racing someone for position, they will never get a blue flag even if you're faster. They will be yellow on your map until you pass them. They are entitled to drive defensively (e.g. a single movement to prevent you passing) but not rule-breakingly aggressively (e.g. weaving, ramming, pushing others off the circuit).

f you come up behind a slower car which has been lapped, it'll be orange. He will see a blue flag when you get near (more or less, it isn't always at the right distance) and he will have to move out of the way as soon as reasonably possible.
If the guy in front shows up as orange on the mini-map he's behind and thus blue-flagged.
What if you don't use the minimap?

DK
#6 - ajp71
I would really like an alternative display of this info because I refuse to drive with a map in my way.
Back in the day (pre-S2 I think), you'd see a message saying "blue flag has been sent to the car in front" or something like that. Something which doesn't involve the mini-map or racelist would be very helpful.
This is pretty cool in GTR2, with little people out there waving their flags. Except that they are close to impossible to spot, but hey..
How about a blue flag next to the driver's name (shown if you have "names over cars" on). Or brake lights that are blue when they're off?
Well, for those the Blue Flag is in effect, a Blue Flag message appears.
The one that is a lap ahead of the slower racer gets one and the one that's a lap behind and has to let the other racer pass gets one.

You're allowed to pass everyone safely. If you're faster you won't get a blue flag, if you're slower, you can't pass anyway.
Quote from hagenisse :This is pretty cool in GTR2, with little people out there waving their flags. Except that they are close to impossible to spot, but hey..

Something to be included in LFS in the future I am sure. I do think they are hard to spot also, I was thinking of maybe you could use the same method Grand Prix Legends uses to show you the pit board. You have a flag on the side of the screen large enough to be seen but also small enough so it doesnt distract you. Then as you go past a marshal it would disappear and you would see him waving it so even the driver following the car to be lapped would see it waved... or something like that.

I am sure Scawen will come up with some clever way though.

It the mean time it is an issue in LFS for those that dont use the map.

mad
Well, flags doesn't have to be real scale. I mean, if we have a problem of visibility, we can make the falgs bigger or brighter. A bright yellow or bright blue thing would be easily spotted.
Quote from Hankstar :Back in the day (pre-S2 I think), you'd see a message saying "blue flag has been sent to the car in front" or something like that. Something which doesn't involve the mini-map or racelist would be very helpful.

That must have been some kind of mod.
Wasn't that the pitting mod - made everyone have to stop in the pitlane between cones to count as a stop, but it also did blue flags?
What about optional having the car in fron't name (if you have names over cars) flashing blue if they are being shown the blue flag (possibly black if they have a penalty and yellow if they are in a yellow flag zone)?
Quote from MyBoss :That must have been some kind of mod.

Nope, I clearly remember seeing the message "blue flag sent to car in front" in this game quite a while ago and I'm guessing it was during S1, maybe even the demo. I don't use mods btw.
Quote from Hankstar :Nope, I clearly remember seeing the message "blue flag sent to car in front" in this game quite a while ago and I'm guessing it was during S1, maybe even the demo. I don't use mods btw.

It sounds like the app is serverside, Hank.
Strange, I can't remember that.

Even stranger because the Blue Flag system were new in S2. Sure you remember right?

Quote from tristancliffe :Wasn't that the pitting mod - made everyone have to stop in the pitlane between cones to count as a stop, but it also did blue flags?

Maybe, but I think in that case the blue flag tingie was a separate server mod. Because I can't remember ever reading something like that. But then, my memory is shorter then my d*ck. lol
Becky's "LFS Companion" can tell you if the person ahead is a lapped car or if you're racing against them for a place.
Erm... who races with names over cars? Don't remember seeing boards above cars IRL A small blue flag in the bottom right/left is all we need IMHO.
Quote from duke_toaster :It sounds like the app is serverside, Hank.

Crap, now I'm doubting myself! It can't have been any other game - this and GPL are the only sims I've given any serious time to in the past 5 years. In GPL you don't get messages, you (only you, not the driver behind) just see a marshal wave a flag at you. You're right, it could very well have been a server app. Dangit! Now I need a dev to set me straight.
Quote from tristancliffe :Wasn't that the pitting mod - made everyone have to stop in the pitlane between cones to count as a stop, but it also did blue flags?

There is your answer.

I can also remember that and Im very sure you are talking about this.

IIRC, it didnt do "real" blue flags, though. I think you only got a blue flag when you left the pits and another car was approaching on the s/f straight.
Quote from K.David :Erm... who races with names over cars?

Well, I like to know who I'm racing near. I can't go by skins because I'm on dialup, so most of them are white. So, it's me who races with names over the cars, hehehe.
Quote from K.David :Erm... who races with names over cars?

I'd contend that the smart driver does, without the obvious implication that you're stupid for not doing so.

I use names over cars so I know who is around me. Especially if you race on a server regularly you get to know the other regulars and their driving styles, and thus can be more confident about their habits. I know with some guys I can make a move down their inside and they'll see me and race me clean and hard, so I don't have to worry. I know others tend to be more erratic and so I need to pass them with more room to spare.
I never use names above cars because I don't really care who I race as long as they are fair
On public servers I guess they're useful if nothing else just to see who tossed you in the sand but it's been like 6 months since I've been public racing so I can only say that in league racing it's just distracting.
But if we are to have an indicator for blue flags shown I'd like to see it without the need to set names above cars.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG