The online racing simulator
Onboard videos
(127 posts, started )
#26 - Vain
The first video was definitely not staged. But indeed, during the first three laps both Hyperactive and me tried to be careful, we were driving a 15 minutes race after all and you don't want to spoil that with an overambitious move in lap 1 .
The second video's quality is, as said, caused by google. Does anyone have some good pointers for the input-quality for upload to video.google.com? The recompression at google is a real problem.
And about the driving in the second video: Those three drivers were fighting for entry into heat 3A. The last of the three would go to heat 3B. From heat 3B the best achievable grid position for the feature race is 13th (the first 12 are finishing positions of heat 3A). And there were merely 10 minutes to juggle it out before the heat ends, so there was quite some pressure there.
Glad you liked it. I'll keep uploading such videos from the heats, depending on wether I see good action somewhere.

Vain
Quote from Tweaker :Cool 1st vid, but the racing/passing looks staged

Well, it is quite hard to block another car when the differences are so big, LX6 versus FZ50. LX6 has no chance of even trying to block on straights, like trying to block a Ferrari F50 in mini And in corners the FZ50 is hopeless compared to the über agile LX6. And basically you are just shifting from 5th to 6th when you already need to put brakes on in the FZ50

Was good racing, was fun
#28 - Vain
Here is yet another onboard video, this time I'm driving a simple autocross layout (thread here).
I uploaded the video to google as a 640x480 video at a bitrate about 2400, and still the quality loss was rather high. I don't know wether I can get above that quality at all.

Vain
Does google videos have recommended video sizes & codec for uploading? E.g. youtube has 320x240 recommendation for best quality. Usually best to resize & render it yourself before uploading.
#30 - Vain
The 'resize and render myself to google's target resolution'-approach was what I did when I uploaded the STCC #7 Heat 2A video. And it looks crap.
The 'upload in recommended resolution'-approach was what I did this time. And it looks crap.

Vain
Flat shifting kills my ears
:P

You're right. I'll try to find a more realism-oriented driver for the next one
#36 - Vain
Nice video. Thanks for posting. :go:

Vain
Great video, thanks for using throtlle cut
yw. i always drive with throttlecut i wonder how much slower it makes me.
half sec per lap i think, depends how long lap is... i'll do one little test and let you know later
I agree. Very nice audio/visual journeyof motorsport goodness.
I think it would have been further enhanced by some occasional external shots.
Like Climb Dance:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ib3Q0C07dVo

I always like knowing what's happening outside the car too.
i would have, if i had a smidgen video editing skills.
#43 - Vain
Quote from farcar :I agree. Very nice audio/visual journeyof motorsport goodness.
I think it would have been further enhanced by some occasional external shots.
Like Climb Dance:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ib3Q0C07dVo

I always like knowing what's happening outside the car too.

And I for one hate those external shots that completely brake the onboard-video. i.e. I'm very unhappy with my video in the first post in this thread because I had to switch to an external camera at one point. Totally disrupts the experience.
...Everyone to his taste I guess.

Vain
Wow I really enjoyed that good editing

Was that really LFS sound? Sounded awesome.
yeah that was pretty good only big problem i noticed was the jerky cam at around the 1:30 mark. could you throw something together for me of my hotlap? spr is on lfsworld.
Quote from ebola :Wow I really enjoyed that good editing

Was that really LFS sound? Sounded awesome.

Just a load of digital distortion on the original
Quote from Gabkicks :yeah that was pretty good only big problem i noticed was the jerky cam at around the 1:30 mark.

I have a 50 fps version which I'll upload later on.

Quote from Gabkicks :could you throw something together for me of my hotlap? spr is on lfsworld.

Sure, I'll give it a whirl.
I also was thinking of doing one for the F08/SO combo (which I totally suck at driving). Do you have a good spr for that?

On the sound thing, yep it's distortion.
How did you achieve that distorted sound? With shift+A editor or is the sound volume just too high in the video? Anyways that gives really nice realistical feeling to for a onboard vid but I guess that would give headache while playing hours with that kind of sound.

If the sound engine wouldn't start to produce "clipping" it would be very much possible to achieve that kind of sound ingame too...
I know the question wasn't for me, but anywayz - I get such distorted sound by simply recording the video with fraps. The raw video already has that sound :/ Sometimes i'd like to have "clear" sounds, but it seems that my PC just can't record it like that ( i have a SB Live! 1.4 btw :P )

Onboard videos
(127 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG