The online racing simulator
Onboard videos
(127 posts, started )
#1 - Vain
Onboard videos
Hi.

I have a nice folder on my PC with all kinds of videos. Those about LFS are always artistic clips with music, those from real racing are always plain onboard-goodness. I often wondered why that is so.
So one day I went and fraps'd a replay from my LFS-folder with onboard-cams and cut it together for viewing pleasure in virtualdub. Here is the result. A 5 lap race between Hyperactive and me at Aston Historic (practice for round 1 of the LFS LeMans league).
Nothing fancy, just plain onboard shots from two cameras - I switched between them so you get to see the best angle. But the timeline is correct and no split second is lost. I only once used a trackside-camera because in one situation neither of the two onboard-cams captured the action well. If you watch it, count the laps - the fights get better the closer the finish line comes.

Please consider that I don't want to show off with this video (I was actually rather slow...). I want to inspire people (like you!) to do the same so I get to see your onboard-shots. It was really simple to do this and basically everyone can do it.

Vain
Great stuff vain! fast or not, nice clean driving!!! looks like it was fun
Bah! Another pwnage video of me...

And if I had not gone wide in the last corner...

(great job with the vid )
#4 - Vain
Basically you did win. The WR for the FZ5 is a second quicker than the WR for the LX6, and I finished by no means 5 seconds earlier than you did. We'll see on saturday.
I did the video in one afternoon. It did take me a bit time to get the compression sorted out, but apart from that it was very simple. I'll try to make the one or the other additional onboard-video from other replays I have flying around to encourage more people to do similar things.

Vain
Maybe one way to make the cars sound better (more realistic sounding) is to use CSR? I mean, for racing I prefer LFS' own sounds but for good vids I'd prefer CSR. Decent transmission whines, brake squeels etc.

Oh damn! It's the next saturday
#6 - JJ72
nice video! hyperactive keeps getting the last chicane wrong tho.
#7 - ebola
Is it just me or is the link no longer working?
Link works good.

I really liked the vid. A pure racing video with no need for music or uberschmick camerawork. Just let the cars and their noise provide the entertainment. If only the driver steering input looked smoother on mprs.

I think that sensible trackside camera angles would integrate well too.

EDIT-How many frames does it cost you in Fraps to record sound as well?
#9 - Tomi
Quote from Vain :

Please consider that I don't want to show off with this video (I was actually rather slow...). I want to inspire people (like you!) to do the same so I get to see your onboard-shots. It was really simple to do this and basically everyone can do it.

Vain

Great vid Vain.

Actually, I did some onboard videos of some my best slalom (autocross) runs. I did them to advertise our slalom championship.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=ffsca+slalom

I have higher quality versions of them if anyone is interested.
#10 - Vain
1. The video was captured in realtime with fraps at constant 25 fps. So no fps loss at all. I don't know how many fps my pc would've generated if I hadn't put in the fps-restrictor. I capture in half-screen mode at 640x480 with full AA/AF. That makes the end result 320x240, which is the resolution youtube and google-video resize it to anyway.
(It's a E6300, 7900GS, 1GB DDR2 RAM and two harddiscs. LFS and virtualdub on one, fraps on the other.)
It's just a quick job. The video is supposed to need few production time but show much racing. I think it does that well.
2. @Tomi: I watched a few of those. Looked like it was some nice fun . But if you use trackside-cameras, try choosing them so that the viewer gets an overview over the layout. Or use a plain onboard-cam, perfect overview, minimum effort. Though I personally dislike in-eye views.
3. Yesterday I fraps'd another replay. This is #83 Harjula aka frokki opening a nice can of classic FXO-whoop-ass on the rest of the field in round 3 of the STCC. The shown laps are 3 to 12, where he makes it from basically the end of the field to 6th (finished 5th). On request I can capture the rest of it. The STCC broadcast showed only the very last seconds of the later fight. (The STCC might be the only series complaining about too much action on the track .)

Vain
Quote from Vain :3. Yesterday I fraps'd another replay.

Thanks for the credit, Vain!
Though I only had patience to watch the first two minutes. Would have been better if you had shown only your defending on the last laps - 12 minutes of video-game (sry scavier, just wanna sound more dramatic) onboard video is too much for anybody..
#12 - Vain
Well, you're talking to a man who watches onboard-videos of cars doing one or more laps on the Nordschleife daily. I don't have any onboard-videos that are shorter than 10 minutes.
I'll record the last few laps later.

Vain
#13 - Vain
There we go, the sequel to the onboard video above. Here are laps 17 to 20.

Vain
Still impresses me, The Obstacle :headbang:
I love to record some good races in realistic manner, like behind the drivers shoulder(my favorite) or on the wheel, on the bumper.. etc.. like you see in the real videos.
Here's one good battle i had in South City long rev with XFR..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3gxUJAmrEM (onboard with me)
I made a quick onboard video ,too. I also used the raw file to do some codec comparison, so I encoded one using the x264 codec and the other using the XviD codec. I didn't manage to get the XviD version uploaded till now but i hope i'll be able to upload it today Until then, here is the x264 version -> http://xps2100.extra.hu/x264%202pass.avi
The video is 1:45 long and 20 MB big (608*260 @ 25 FPS) the footage is from a BLGP/XFR race which took place just a few days ago (Thanks for the guys seen in the video! )
Thx 4 watching ! =]
ps.: what do you think about the sound ?
I kinda liked it. Although in-car cameras point forward all the time. Would have been a good piece if it had had more cars and been at least twice as long. Liked the sounds (CSR?) but maybe a bit too aggressive for that car

Good one, I'd like to see more
All the videos I have made are using AVISynth, Vdub, and fraps. I capture at NTSC (720x480@29.97FPS), and encode using mpeg4. Mpeg4 is my favorite codec, although divx pro is better, Mpeg4 is free!

Anyway, I made an on-board video too! It is 1/8th speed, BF1@600kph (although it might have been somewhere in the range of 400-500kph because of wheelspin).

http://4wheelerhummers.googlepages.com/600kph_L.zip

Vain, if my post takes your thread too off-topic, PM me and I will remove my contraversial video immediately.
Here's a quick onboard video (with a few external shots) of me trying to survive the first couple of laps online.

Two things:
-The framerate chugs a bit on the externals.
- Excuse the message chatter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4XwquQXaWs
@Hyperactive
Thank you for the comment ! I made it up really quick as I just wanted to see how the codec works/looks but i will certainly do a longer one with more action and some different cameras
And the sound ... are you prepared ? ... IT IS LFS ITSELF ! :O I'm using DaveWS's sound pack, and it really rocks - Thank YOU DaveWS ! - . In the video it sound a little more aggressive, but it's not so aggressive in the game. Fraps records the sound from LFS very strangely :S
Thanks for watching!
@wheel4hummer
o_O O_O O_o <-i can't explain myself better
@farcar
Nice action-full video ! You can turn off the chatting in replay's by editing the cfg.txt file in your LFS directory . "MPR Message Block 0" <- set 0 to 1 =]
#21 - Vain
Here's another onboard video.
That's Heat 2A of STCC#7.
Drivers are:
Silva (white helmet, grey/white car)
Horvath (yellow/grey helmet, yellow/black car, appears a bit later)
Me (Black/red/white helmet, yellow/black car)

Google pretty much destroyed the quality. I'll have to try around with the next videos to find something google accepts without completely shredding it.

Vain
rwd's on bumpy and narrow track
good fight!
Cool 1st vid, but the racing/passing looks staged

It is too bad that nearby sound really cuts out a lot when side-by-side... something fishy in LFS.
that's the good part about the "not so pro" level of the stcc drivers field, lots of line missing which results in much overtaking. cool vid (except quality).
If you're replying to me, I meant the video in the first post But ok, I guess it applies to the STCC video heheh.

Onboard videos
(127 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG