The online racing simulator
texture on the bottom of the car
i think this has been mentioned before, but i do it again just in case...

"texture on the bottom of the car"

anything would be better then that plain gray thing we have at the moment... really anything. even if there is one texture for all the cars...
thats what i said like... 3 years ago... still nothing

it absolutely ruins LFS that when you see cars tipped over or just... however you somehow see the bottom there is just nothing there.. its a very cheap look
#3 - wark
Heh... -1 unless there's some 3D business done there. Not usually something you notice enough to matter. I think a texture over the flat would make it look somehow cheaper.
3d would be fine, but atleast.. anything
of course it wouldn't be shiny like it is either, then it would look dumb with a texture, but if it weren't shiny and had a texture it would look.. okay
why would it need 3d work there? i don't see use in that. you can have good results with a good texture which is not a problem at all.

but now it is just plain dark gray. thats just not right... imo
It's not that important.. but the Sauber has one.
I have to agree. Like XCNuse said, I'd be worried that if the texture wasn't high enough quality it would look cheap, but I do think they need something.

Admittedly you're not supposed to see the undersides, but that doesn't mean you don't
Texture on the bottom of the car
i think it kinda looks stupid on the bottom of ur car. itd be cool if in the next patch u might wanna put a texture on it.. it would add some realism
Under Carriage image would make it Tons better, just a plain texture will be awesome, no 3D Detail required.
Quote from XCNuse :thats what i said like... 3 years ago... still nothing

it absolutely ruins LFS that when you see cars tipped over or just... however you somehow see the bottom there is just nothing there.. its a very cheap look

Quote from wark :Heh... -1 unless there's some 3D business done there. Not usually something you notice enough to matter. I think a texture over the flat would make it look somehow cheaper.

XCNuse has been on about this for a long time, I do remember too For a good reason of course. A texture wouldn't be so hard to do, I don't understand why there isn't a texture below still. Some of the simplest things to add still lack presence in LFS . There are times I have some screenshots that look so bland because of the 'black hole' under-carriage underneath, it loses the realism. Not to mention, LFS still needs visible suspension arms. I don't see how that would be a hard thing to do either, since the general arms on the formula cars would do just fine for now on the road cars and such, and would add to the look and realism of the cars rather than just floating wheels.
#13 - wark
Call me crazy, but I still think no differential, drive train, suspension components, &c. would be somehow preferable to a picture of them pasted onto a mirror-smooth surface. It tells me that it's a work-in-progress; that the developers are waiting till they can do it right to do it at all. Otherwise it just looks like a shoddy finished product. I'm the type of guy who lives in an unfurnished home till he can afford exactly what he wants, as opposed to using temporary furniture. I suppose you would say I don't like substitutes.

Anyway, parts of the differential, axles and rear suspension of a lot of cars can be visible from behind (without flipping the car over) and a texture wouldn't help in this regard.
Agreed, actually modelling everything is certainly the superior solution.
Quote from wark :Anyway, parts of the differential, axles and rear suspension of a lot of cars can be visible from behind (without flipping the car over) and a texture wouldn't help in this regard.

For the axles and arms, I'm not referring to a texture... but instead 3D shapes. Formula cars already have simple ones, why cant the road cars?
Quote from Tweaker :For the axles and arms, I'm not referring to a texture... but instead 3D shapes. Formula cars already have simple ones, why cant the road cars?

Well, there is an old LFS legend about custom interiors for the GTRs...

No moaning intended, but please, is there anyone there that has not thought "¿How does it take to model a car interior?" I don't have any modelling experience, so maybe it takes this long and it's just my ignorance talking
I've never actually noticed the fact that LFS cars have an untextured bottom. Preferable anyday to the overly shiny pixelated crap you see on bad rF mods, I agree with Wark here.
Quote from Eldanor :Well, there is an old LFS legend about custom interiors for the GTRs...

No moaning intended, but please, is there anyone there that has not thought "¿How does it take to model a car interior?" I don't have any modelling experience, so maybe it takes this long and it's just my ignorance talking

Drawing the suspension arms wouldn't take long at all. They are generated, and just simple bars with no texture or anything. Having the suspension arms visible is the least of my worries... but I am pretty positive that it is quick to make... I don't see why not.
and once we get wheels and tires that come off after excessive damage maybe we could have suspensions like in GPL, just a single poly that is always facing the viewpoint, and stretches up and down with a texture
that would be nice
#20 - wark
Quote from Tweaker :For the axles and arms, I'm not referring to a texture... but instead 3D shapes. Formula cars already have simple ones, why cant the road cars?

Yeah, of course. LXs have 'em too, on the front ends. But so far just wishbones. It would be cool to see mac struts & alia.
hmm
yea i have seen no textures. Maybe someday Devs will realize ppl actually pays attention to every detail of the car. I do .

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG