The online racing simulator
saying sorry... but pulling away anyway!?
hi all

i've been playing lfs pretty much all weekend and IMO it's by far the best racing sim ever (it's the game geoff crammonds F1 should have been if he had todays' technology!).

something is getting my goat though - kn$bends who use other people's back end to get them through the corner... spinning some poor dude out (usually me at the moment)... then saying 'sorry' while pulling away into the distance?!

in rc racing if you tag someone and spin them round, the universally recognised thing to do is apologise and LET THE PERSON YOU TAGGED RE-TAKE THE POSITION!

am i wrong?
No.

But this is teh internets where people act like dummies sometimes.

Far majority of LFS licensed users are good people. Just like Gandalf.
#3 - CSU1
You will never resolve this asking other people what they think is right/wrong.
Youl'll learn that there's ****s and then there's polite people, it's just the way it is, all you can do is thank God you're not one of them.
After a while you'll start to find out which servers always have good, clean racers on, and which aren't so good. Don't worry, it's not all like you've experienced so far!
Depends on the situation. If I did spin someone around and we are both trying to get back on the track at the same time I will let him. But I'm not waiting around for him to regain control.

Especially if there are other cars approaching from behind. The vultures think they can accelerate to 500 km/h in 0,2 seconds, and still make a 90 degree turn passing thru a 20 cm opening!

What if I wait and he decides he has so much damage he doesn't want to continue. And what if he is a slow racer and I let him pass just to overtake him again?
#6 - col
Quote from kurent :Depends on the situation. If I did spin someone around and we are both trying to get back on the track at the same time I will let him. But I'm not waiting around for him to regain control.

you should still wait... unless
Quote :
Especially if there are other cars approaching from behind.

This is the time when I've learned not to wait... if you are in traffic and you slow after tagging the guy in front, you are liable to cause a pile-up. In a league event you should wait until its safe to slow down, then let your victim past.
Quote :
What if I wait and he decides he has so much damage he doesn't want to continue. And what if he is a slow racer and I let him pass just to overtake him again?

I guess thats what they call 'tough shit'
Just let him go, then re pass him.
Quote from kurent :Depends on the situation. If I did spin someone around and we are both trying to get back on the track at the same time I will let him. But I'm not waiting around for him to regain control.

You should, if you spun him! :slap:

Quote from kurent :And what if he is a slow racer
and I let him pass just to overtake him again?

Being fast doesn't mean you can be an ****. Racing is a non-contact sport. You can't kick anybodys leg in foootball if he doesn't play as well as you do...:arge:
#8 - ZORER
The real life traffic has much more idiots and "m..... f......" in it. I hate driving in real life. And worse, i'm living in an over crowded city.More traffic a.. h.... Those people are idiots and as. h..... they make driving dangerous and too risky.

I'm a having a bit of red mist because of an incident just happened 10 mins ago.illepall
If I genuinely feel it was my fault, then yes I will wait for the other person. If I think it was just a racing incident I'll carry on, and discuss it after the race. I don't tend to use sorry binds whilst racing, unless it's a really big cock up.
No love for Gandalf.
No not wrong.

Clean first.. there is nothing worse than gaining a position at the expense of a bad move on another driver, what makes racing online good for me is seeing a drivers you Know and respect on your tail and KNOW your going to get a fair race, and that happens a lot therein lies the pleasure of LFS for me.

We all make mistakes I know I do ,but when the flag drops my main concern is avoiding taking other drivers out in the first few turns. now that is probably not a good mindset for winning races, but I cant drive any other way.
Quote from frokki :

Being fast doesn't mean you can be an ****. Racing is a non-contact sport. You can't kick anybodys leg in foootball if he doesn't play as well as you do...:arge:

Had one of those on tonight and the same bloke last night. He took me out on the same corner, same situation two nights running. The first night I was mad but restricted myself to mumbling in my beard. The second night....Banned! The stupid thing is, he was very fast and could have taken me after the S's (WE1) It's the pig ignorance that gets up my nose.
Best thing to do is not have contact, if I feel it was my fault and completely avoidable I will normally drive on and then slow down where it is safe to do so to let the other guy past again. Although following a couple of rather embarrassing cockups where I have run into the same guy again after letting him by I have stopped do this for people where I've taken them out in the first place because they just don't know the track/are braking ridiculously early, I think in this case a lot of people would prefer not to have the pointless pressure and risk of being repassed again.
#14 - CSU1
The Plates!
I mean did you get his plate lol?
Quote from ajp71 :.... I have stopped doing this for people where I've taken them out in the first place because they just don't know the track/are braking ridiculously early, I think in this case a lot of people would prefer not to have the pointless pressure and risk of being repassed again.

This seems to be going away from righteous indignation about being hit in the ass and over to justifying hitting someone in the ass! As an experienced driver, which you obviously are, the onus is on you, with the greater skill, to avoid hitting anyone whether he's a n00b or simply a slower man.
Don't take this personally ajp71. This goes for us all. At the end of the day, if you hit someone in the rear, it's your fault!
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
I really hate taking people out of races. I'll usually pull over, or if I'm really mortified I'll spectate. The LFS equivalent of the ground opening up and swallowing you.

Shocking feeling Isn't it, makes me feel like a green felt frog every time
Quote from spankmeyer :No.

But this is teh internets where people act like dummies sometimes.

Far majority of LFS licensed users are good people. Just like Gandalf.

rofl, bearded people usually are good,
unless they are bikies!

on a more serious note

i witnessed the good sportsmanship of this racing game a couple of weeks ago, i was having a huge race with at least 10 people, 70% were xrr and fzr, but me and two other racers wanted to race in mrts. so we had done about 3 laps of really close racing, when i made a small mistake and clipped the dirt, while i was slowly makig my way back onto the track, i noticed an mrt about 200m down the road, and a message saying hurry up!
the dude had actually waited for me to return to the track before racing!!

i was soo impressed by this

mind you its the only time i've seen it happen

the racers username slips my mind, but it might have started with a c.

you wont see this kind of sportsmanship in any other racing game
Quote from Matt_Driver :rofl, bearded people usually are good,
unless they are bikies!

on a more serious note

i witnessed the good sportsmanship of this racing game a couple of weeks ago, i was having a huge race with at least 10 people, 70% were xrr and fzr, but me and two other racers wanted to race in mrts. so we had done about 3 laps of really close racing, when i made a small mistake and clipped the dirt, while i was slowly makig my way back onto the track, i noticed an mrt about 200m down the road, and a message saying hurry up!
the dude had actually waited for me to return to the track before racing!!

i was soo impressed by this

mind you its the only time i've seen it happen

the racers username slips my mind, but it might have started with a c.

you wont see this kind of sportsmanship in any other racing game

It's possible he actually wanted to race someone, seeing that the MRT can't really come close to the XRR or FZR
Ah, the dying art of waiting for an opponent! Well done, whoever that was :up:
You more commonly see this on GP Legends servers (however I think this is partly due to the fact that most GPL servers are sparsely populated unless an organised event is on. It's always better to slow down and wait so you can race someone - especially since they may well be the only other racer online ).
Why are you all getting all worked up about public races anyways? They usually last 5-10 laps, which is not really racing, tbh, so just race the next race and forget about it. Will do wonders to your blood pressure.
Quote from Hoellsen :Why are you all getting all worked up about public races anyways? They usually last 5-10 laps, which is not really racing, tbh, so just race the next race and forget about it. Will do wonders to your blood pressure.

What!?

Not everybody wants to/can drive 24 hour races ! illepall
Hoellsen does have a point, most races on public servers can't be called races. I don't mean it has to be 3 hours or more but something like over 20 minutes can be called a sprint race in my opinnion. Incidents happen, I myself try to let the other guy pass me if Im sure it was my error, doesn't happen that often as I'm rarely that crap, but everyone has a bad day every now and then.
#23 - Davo
Saying sorry and letting the other driver by is the first step to becoming a better online racer. After dropping positions a few times you quickly learn to brake earlier and anticipate people's moves.
#24 - axus
Quote from tristancliffe :If I genuinely feel it was my fault, then yes I will wait for the other person. If I think it was just a racing incident I'll carry on, and discuss it after the race. I don't tend to use sorry binds whilst racing, unless it's a really big cock up.

I do the same pretty much.
Quote from Blackout :Hoellsen does have a point, most races on public servers can't be called races. I don't mean it has to be 3 hours or more but something like over 20 minutes can be called a sprint race in my opinnion.

no he doesn't, anything that involves a winner can be called a race.
most of the time you get better racing in 5 laps than you do in a 40minute race.
anyway lets stay on topic, i usually wait for someone unless i think it's a racing accident. then i'll just continue. i only say sorry if i mean it, i hate when people spam "I'm Sorry, my bad!" etc etc... for every little tap!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG