The online racing simulator
Modernise the look of cars
(66 posts, started )
#1 - mr_x
Here's my 'big' idea. I know these cars aren't real ones (apart from 3), but the cars in LFS right now look dull and old, very boxy too. If you look at them now and compare them to real cars you'd go back to 1990's model cars to find any real similarities, it's 2007 now, most cars these days look modern, more curves on them, much better looking! The year is 2007, I want to think I'm in 2007 when racing.

I'm not asking for new cars, I'm just asking to modernise the look of existing cars, give them a 199x-2007 upgrade.

I think it's only these cars that need doing aswell, single seaters.. well, I know nothing about anyway, but they still look the same as they did 10 years ago :P
UF1(R)
XFG(R)
XRG(T/R)
RB4
FXO(R)
Sorry, but thats a very bad idea. Thats like asking Ford to change the looks on the old Mustang because its old.

I guess we will get "new", new cars in S3.

And they are supposed to look like that annyway.
#3 - joen
I believe the UF1 will be updated in the future, although that one especially is based on an old car so it should keep the same shape overall. It just could use some refinement in terms of the modelling.
I think the FXO(R) looks quite modern actually. Don't really think it needs change.
I agree slightly on the XFG and XRG, although I love how the XFR looks, and these are also based on older cars. So I don't really think they need change.
#4 - Davo
I think the cars look just right. These aren't all cars from 2007 and they shouldn't look that way. The FZ5 is the sexiest car and looks modern to me. New cars that we get will also look more modern, or perhaps we get an old school muscle car

For me the looks of modern isn't important. It's the shape and style of the car and they look like a typical car you would see on the road, very familiar but in fact there's nothing really like it.
The look of the hatches cannot change. They look like Pre 1993 hatches, from the time hatches were fast and exciting. ANY modern hatch in this game, would be out of place and look dumb.
#6 - herki
If Eric dares to "modernise" the good ol' cars, I'll come to him and "modernise" him. In my opinion today's cars get worse and worse looking, especially with all these safety measures they need to have. I like the shapes of old cars like the Audi quattro sport back then, nice and boxy.

so minus a bazillion from me
Agreed. I'm currently saving for a Dialynx SWB Audi Quattro sport conversion for 2008
Basically a 2007 XR GT Turbo would look totally different than the 1990 XR GT Turbo. Only modernising I can think of is to add more details to the cars, not to change their look*

Maybe we get the 2007 LX8

*which is not important atm imho
#9 - ajp71
Really bad idea as already posted the current crop of hatches/small sports coupes are far too big and heavy and would be dull to drive in LFS. I say keep the as they are and make the UF1 look older/like a Mini, it's just the headlights that look silly IMO, I think the devs could get away with proper headlights for it seeing as ISI is getting away with releasing unlicensed full tracks just by changing their names

Maybe in S3 we could see some current road cars but they're pretty low on my list as well.
-1, then that will no more be that car, it would be new car. We will have new cars in S3
Almost all modern road cars (i.e. shopping mobiles) are fugly, even BMWs don't have that aggresive stance anyway. Modern styling is very boring. Nice and aerodynamic and thus fuel efficient, but boring. Every time I see a silver Merc I fall asleep on the spot.

90s cars at least gave you something to look at. Don't weigh as much either, far more useful for racing.
The XFG, XRT, etc. are not meant to be modern, like everyone else is saying. Also, alot of people race 1990's hatches and coupes because they are usually DIRT CHEAP.
...and others get their Enzo's on track

Instead of changing cuurent cars, it could be better to add nowadays competitors with ABS etc. and disable that electronic stuff in ours XFG's and XRT's
...if there was ABS in lfs first...
#14 - mr_x
Oh well, looks like that idea didn't go down too well, and that I'm the only one who seems to like modern day styling. Although I agree with Bob, mercs are boring.
RB4 will be changed, Scawen or Eric said it.
Quote from mr_x :Oh well, looks like that idea didn't go down too well, and that I'm the only one who seems to like modern day styling. Although I agree with Bob, mercs are boring.

Best thing would have been suggesting to fit A/C, Airbags, powersteering, ABS, ESP, electrical seats and even doors to the LX's. Now that would make them fun
Just out of curiosity, mr_x, have you driven an old and a new car car to compare? I have much more fun driving an old imperfect car than a new, boring car ... which is just a box on wheels with no character at all
#17 - mr_x
Quote from herki :Just out of curiosity, mr_x, have you driven an old and a new car car to compare? I have much more fun driving an old imperfect car than a new, boring car ... which is just a box on wheels with no character at all

I drive a 2005 Toyota Yaris, which is fun to drive in a straight line, it just bodyrolls like crazy on corners. But watching things like Top Gear they say the newer cars are becoming more fun to drive again, the new Golf GTI, Ford Focus etc.

I know LFS cars aren't as big as those, anyway, I've just had a thought, they aren't real cars, so why can't they look more modern but drive like they do now? I can't really see much wrong with that

EDIT: they don't have to be the same size as modern cars... keep them the sizes they are now, but give them a face lift... never know, might change your mind about newer cars looking crap
#18 - JTbo
I'm completely against any modern looking cars, they look like they would be designed by designers of Tupperware, well there is very few exceptions to rule. No matter if it is a game or real life, this is my opinion in both

Boxy shapes are besty shapes

I would like to see some older cars, though
Keep the LFS cars as they are. Development should not be delayed due for car models.
I think that the cars in LFS should visually stay quite the same as they were when they were released. And this shows in the car classes too, cars with similar prodction years are in same classes; the TBOs for example have a theme of early nineties/late eighties while the LRF is more of a early 2000s. Only the GTR class is bit of off ball in this, the XRR and FXR looking ten years older than the FZR (which really shows in speed too ). I have no idea how the devs have thought the car classes to be but imho the cars are quite well presented with different styles of different eras. Maybe the cars could get moving suspension arms with more details, better looking wheels and other small touches but it is quite low priority atm. Interiors need to be updated and they probably get updated this year plus some skinning updated to some S1 cars

Modern cars are so ...blank. Boring. Mindless. I'd like to see some GTL cars in LFS Cobras, corvettes etc.
#21 - JTbo
Quote from Hyperactive :Modern cars are so ...blank. Boring. Mindless. I'd like to see some GTL cars in LFS Cobras, corvettes etc.

Yes, tastless, odorless, unisex things without any character.

HSV Gto is nice though, just bit dull looking and interior is too steril, but it is one of the last real cars that can also do corners. New Corvette misses something, it is too steril, even sound is missing all agression C3 was nice, too bad it won't do corners without serious work.

Oh yes, anything FWD is also creation of evil, they do exists only because cost efficency, sure some do like from them, but I am not one of them

However I'm afraid that I'm starting to be in minority with my preference of cars, I start to feel old again
Quote from herki :If Eric dares to "modernise" the good ol' cars, I'll come to him and "modernise" him. In my opinion today's cars get worse and worse looking, especially with all these safety measures they need to have. I like the shapes of old cars like the Audi quattro sport back then, nice and boxy.

so minus a bazillion from me

Yup, I'm with herki's opinion here. Modern cars all look the same. One manufacture comes out with something, and all the others follow along and copy it. They all look like bubbles to me. I don't want to race around in a bubble. None of today's cars have any charactor. Just boring boring bubbles. Not only that, but if you modernize the cars appearance, would the mechanicals also become modernized? So, we would have traction control, stability control, antilock braking, semi-automatic transmissions, and everything else in modern cars that take all the driving out of driving a car?
#23 - Vain
There are good looking modern cars.
But most look horrible.

There are cars like the Mercedes A class I basically hate. But why not take a look at the Audi A3 (quattro, anyone?) or BMW E87? I also kind of like the Seat Leon, and I wouldn't mind a Ford Focus WRC either. With a bit of creativity you could turn the Smart Roadster Coupe into a nice 4WD turbocharged fun-vehicle.

There are nice modern cars. But you have to think a while.

Vain
Quote :Yup, I'm with herki's opinion here. Modern cars all look the same. One manufacture comes out with something, and all the others follow along and copy it. They all look like bubbles to me. I don't want to race around in a bubble. None of today's cars have any charactor. Just boring boring bubbles.

Agreed. Compared to cars pre-2002, modern family/small cars are big, boring and no fun.

Examples:

Fiesta Mk5 pre 03- light, sporty, fun.
Fiesta Mk6 03 onwards- ugly, slow, large

106, Clio Mk1, Saxo- light, nippy, fun
107/1007/206, Clio Mk2/3- ugly, slow, large

Wake me up when new cars sub-£20,000 or without a GTI/ST badge get fun again.
I also do not want to see the car models changed. I wouldn't mind seeing them detailed a bit more, but I wouldn't like the overall shape and look to be changed. If the devs are going to spend time working on car models they should add a mid-engine supercar, a V8 sedan, an off-road truck, drag car, or any one of a hundred other cars that we'd all like to see.

(66 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG