The online racing simulator
PS2 controllers
(15 posts, started )
PS2 controllers
i am thinking about buying a PS2 controller converter so i can play LFS with a PS2 controller or steering wheel

BUT will it work?

S D
yeah, have used PS2 pad before, but dead zones can be a major problem!
Quote from Stage D :i am thinking about buying a PS2 controller converter so i can play LFS with a PS2 controller or steering wheel

BUT will it work?

S D

IMO you would be better off buying a corded XBOX 360 controller that will just work with your PC.
£20~ish and it has 6 analogue axes.

I got one as a stop gap for a G25 since my DFP broke and have it setup so that I have steering on the leftstick, look headin & pitch on the right stick, accelerator on the right trigger and brake on the left trigger.

This allows me to balance the car better than I could with just the sticks.

The only downside is that the sticks are not linear so it takes a bit of practice to drive the more tetchy cars.
I've used both.

Dead zones and sensitivity make for extremely hard driving. Use the mouse or get a wheel is my advice.
Quote from prodeg :Dead zones and sensitivity make for extremely hard driving. Use the mouse or get a wheel is my advice.

XBCD drivers solve deadzone issues with the XBOX360 pad.
#6 - CSU1
Quote from Stage D :i am thinking about buying a PS2 controller converter so i can play LFS with a PS2 controller or steering wheel

BUT will it work?

S D

Hi, there really is no point spending more cash on a genuine PS2 controller and converter when GAME sell a usb ready PS2 replica for around £10, imo the xbox controller is hard to find a 'comfortable' feel/button config, mainley the gear changing button config.

Here is a guide to help with button config and axis assignment on a PS2-type controller.
Can anyone tell me if its possible to splice the PS2 wires and hook them together with a USB cord?
I've used my PS2 DS2 from the get go, I'm not the fastest racer or best drifter but I can at least keep up. I only use one stick though and that's for steering, I use a similar(sp) button config to GT4's. I had a PB of 1'34.33 with an AS2 set on BL1 with the XFG when I was playing the Demo before patch V came out.
Thanks man..but is there a simpler version? Or can someone that uses one tell me?
Quote from scoobyrbac :Can anyone tell me if its possible to splice the PS2 wires and hook them together with a USB cord?

Yes it is, and it's in a book called Gaming Hacks.

But it requires some diodes, spare wire, a multimeter and various other things that isn't included in my posession or for that matter non-existant knowledge of electronics. It's braindead easy for Xbox controllers if you have the right kit though from what I hear.

Probably quicker and easier to get to a shop and buy a PS2 style pad for PC. If you don't have space for a wheel or can't plug it in without having a massive desk re-arrange which you can't be arsed to do (me), PS2 style pads are what I reccomend. Try layouts in GT4 or similar, and my advice - ALWAYS use the same style layout. It gets confusing if you have multiple.setups and you adjust your rev limiter (or worse - go in to neutral or reverse) when you want to change gear. Wipeout fusion has mentally trained me in to using R1 for boost/fire/whatever is that game/sim's gimmick (like emotions in TIR) or clutch (for clutchdump starts if you want to do them, but they won't work with the LFS starting lights).

I use (PS2 button names)

Right analog stick down (and left trigger, not an axis in itself)- throttle
Right analog stick up (and right trigger, not an axis in itself) - brake
Pad up - horn.
Pad left/right/down - look left/right/backwards
R1 - Clutch (sometime clutchkicks are useful in BL Rallycross)
L1 - Handbrake
Select - limiter.

All the controls you need basically, bind reset and view to buttons near the bottom of the keyboard, I use X for reset.
#13 - CSU1
[quote=duke_toaster;312514]

Right analog stick down (and left trigger, not an axis in itself)- throttle
Right analog stick up (and right trigger, not an axis in itself) - brake
Pad up - horn.
Pad left/right/down - look left/right/backwards
R1 - Clutch (sometime clutchkicks are useful in BL Rallycross)
L1 - Handbrake
Select - limiter.

[quote]

Strange, you push up to brake and pull back to go...illepall bah everyone to his own I suppose
Quote from CSU1 :
Strange, you push up to brake and pull back to go...illepall bah everyone to his own I suppose

I do - like some people for FPS have the up/down axis inverted. I have throttle and brake inverted because it's easier to control the stick pulling down than pushing up I find and it feels more natural to me.
Have a look here :

http://www.rockfire.com.tw/

I'm a fan of UltraracerPC joysticks and I use often an UltraracerPC with an USB-Nest (RM-203) converter, perfect, 100% OK !!!
I bought also in Ebay a Sony Ultraracer with a PSX/USB Bridge (PX-205), working perfectly also, but I dont like it so much, because I'm left handed and I find buttons not so confortable . I have not spent many time with it, but I can tell you that it works also 100% !!!

Attached images
Sony.jpg
converter.jpg
UltraracerPC.jpg
Nest.jpg

PS2 controllers
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG