The online racing simulator
Change gear on grid
(61 posts, started )
#1 - amp88
Change gear on grid
A particularly simple suggestion. I'd like to be able to change gears on the grid before the race start. Additionally, starting in neutral and having to engage your gear before the race start would be good, but then we might end up with an epidemic of people sitting revving on the grid wondering why they're not moving. Gearchanging on the grid might be scheduled for when the start system is improved (i.e. ability to jump the start, which has already been suggested), but I can't see it taking a huge amount of time to implement.
I like it, +1
Quote from amp88 :A particularly simple suggestion. I'd like to be able to change gears on the grid before the race start.

why though? your always gonna have to start in 1st gear anyway

This is becouse of jump start. We always have perfect start and whit this it could be posible to have jump start, so for starting you'd need some skills
#5 - ajp71
Quote from nikimere :why though? your always gonna have to start in 1st gear anyway

Usually that is the case but a lot of H gate racing cars IRL are geared non-sequentially, so the first slot may not be the best starting gear. That'd be pretty unusual but 4th being between 2nd/3rd on a 4 speed 'box is commonly used.
Quote from nikimere :why though? your always gonna have to start in 1st gear anyway

Some people will want to start the powerful cars in 2nd or 3rd to reduce wheelspin from the lights. Therefore this should only be implemented when stalling is implemented - I doubt the BF1 will make a competative start in 2nd or 3rd with a REALLY sharp clutch and low engine inertia.

So until we have full control of the car before the green light I don't think we need to be able to change gear. Once we have full control we'll obviously be able to do what we like, so no suggestion is necessary really.
Maybe we need formation lap?
Quote from ajp71 :Usually that is the case but a lot of H gate racing cars IRL are geared non-sequentially, so the first slot may not be the best starting gear. That'd be pretty unusual but 4th being between 2nd/3rd on a 4 speed 'box is commonly used.

Ok i think i know what you mean? some race cars have 1st where 2nd would normally be then 2nd is where 3rd is 3rd where 4th is... etc.. is that what you mean? If not could you give me an example cuz i'm lost
Surely this could be setup in the controller settings?

Quote from tristancliffe :Some people will want to start the powerful cars in 2nd or 3rd to reduce wheelspin from the lights. Therefore this should only be implemented when stalling is implemented - I doubt the BF1 will make a competative start in 2nd or 3rd with a REALLY sharp clutch and low engine inertia.

So until we have full control of the car before the green light I don't think we need to be able to change gear. Once we have full control we'll obviously be able to do what we like, so no suggestion is necessary really.

it is ALWAYS faster in every form of motorsport (that i have ever been in contact with) to start in 1st gear...
Quote from nikimere :it is ALWAYS faster in every form of motorsport (that i have ever been in contact with) to start in 1st gear...

Agreed, but in LFS it can be quicker (or at least easier) to start the BF1 in 2nd at the moment (I think - I know the FO8 used to be short-shifted to 2nd or 3rd for oval getaways to reduce the cars tendency to spin). When LFS gets it's next physics/start procedure tweak hopefully it'll be 1st gear or nothing for starts.
#10 - dev
IRL you can start once the light turns green in the 5/6/7 gear if you wanted, therefore it should be possible ingame also
Quote from tristancliffe :Agreed, but in LFS it can be quicker (or at least easier) to start the BF1 in 2nd at the moment (I think - I know the FO8 used to be short-shifted to 2nd or 3rd for oval getaways to reduce the cars tendency to spin). When LFS gets it's next physics/start procedure tweak hopefully it'll be 1st gear or nothing for starts.

well lets fix LFS rather than add in things to get around problems.
Quote from dev :IRL you can start once the light turns green in the 5/6/7 gear if you wanted, therefore it should be possible ingame also

There's no point. You can get out of your car and run onto the track and be squashed like a bug in real life if you wanted, doesn't mean they should add it to LFS.
Obvious side-effect of the false start system. Standing on the grid, one foot on the clutch, another on the accelerator, waiting the lights to go green. If someone wants to start in 2nd or 3rd, why not allow it? It is just like it is in real life. People with broken transmissions or odd driving habits can start with 5th or 6th gears, others use the 1st

Just something that is pretty obvious when false starts are implemented

EDIT: and the gear should be in neutral before the starts.... obviously
I remember reading an issue of Performance Car back in 1994 or 1995 where the author (Peter Dron IIRC) was guesting in a TVR Tuscan race and was told by one of the front-running racers to start in 2nd rather than 1st as it was quicker. I wouldn't be surprised if there were other examples where 2nd gear is quicker (or at least easier) to start in than 1st. Regardless of what the optimal gear to start in is, I don't see a valid reason to be forced to start in 1st. Don't ask yourself why you would want to be allowed to change gears on the grid, ask why we're forced into not changing.
Downhill?
Quote from Hyperactive :Downhill?

If you're asking whether or not the TVR Tuscan start was on a downhill the answer is no - it was at Silverstone.
+1 this is a new step for simulations... like rfactor!
Of course it should be possible to change the Gear on the Grid. Should be out of question that a LFS car should be able to do that. Maybe it will come with the false start Updates.
Quote from Ventu :+1 this is a new step for simulations... like rfactor!

not to state the obvious... well thats exactly what im doing because i wanna make sure you can taste your boot in your mouth...

If rFactor has done it, how is it a new step?
once we have a proper start system that is fully manual then you should be able to select any gear you want. but not the way the system is now.
Quote from nikimere :once we have a proper start system that is fully manual then you should be able to select any gear you want. but not the way the system is now.

For what reason(s)? I don't see any logical reason not to allow gearchanges on the grid.
But will LFS go the whole hog, if you can jump start, does that mean you have to apply the handbrake to stop yourself rolling while revving on the clutch/in neutral?
Quote from amp88 :For what reason(s)? I don't see any logical reason not to allow gearchanges on the grid.

for the simple reason that its probably easier to leave gear changed activated while your on the grid than to write code to disable them.
wouldn't bother me if they weren't used because the fact of the matter is you should ALWAYS start in 1st in a race car off the line. Even if its down hill and the wind is behind you.
Quote from KeiichiRX7 :not to state the obvious... well thats exactly what im doing because i wanna make sure you can taste your boot in your mouth...

If rFactor has done it, how is it a new step?

i don't speak well english... i would say that can change gear on grid is way to put lfs over rfactor in simulations... sorry for my bad english, try to understand
illepall
Quote from Ventu : i would say that can change gear on grid is way to put lfs over rfactor in simulations...

so by letting some n00b start the race in 5th gear off the line you think LFS would then be better than rFactor?
LFS already is WAY better than rFactor
Quote from nikimere :for the simple reason that its probably easier to leave gear changed activated while your on the grid than to write code to disable them.
wouldn't bother me if they weren't used because the fact of the matter is you should ALWAYS start in 1st in a race car off the line. Even if its down hill and the wind is behind you.

Come on

When you really think about it, the realistic way of implementing stalling engines and false starts is to put the players into the start grids* with their gears in neutral. The player then needs to disengage the clutch and put the 1st gear in. Those who don't have clutch pedals would use clutch help and clutch button. And when the green light comes, you engage the clutch and try to burn as much rubber as you can before the tires grip again. After that it is just the usual flailing around/T1 assbraking stuff

*with the server option to drive the car from pits into the grid slot and warmup lap

Change gear on grid
(61 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG