The online racing simulator
Getting the track code from a RAF file
Does anyone know a good way to reliably extract the track code from a RAF file?

As far as I can see, the RAF format only contains a human-readable track name and config name, sometimes shortened to fit in the allotted space (e.g. "Westhill" and "Internation_REV").

For the program I want to write I need to convert that into a track code ("WE1R"), so I can read the appropriate PTH file. It's possible with a lookup table, of course, but that is ugly and fragile. Anyone know a better way?
OK, I've just changed it so that the four spare bytes at offset 24 now contain "WE1R" (an ascii string with no NULL terminator). I hope to release that version on Friday or Saturday in the test patch forum.
Even more test patches
SWEET !! Bring 'em on

Can I assume the test patch Scawen mentioned is the multiplayer non-compatible one?
Quote from geezer45 :SWEET !! Bring 'em on

Can I assume the test patch Scawen mentioned is the multiplayer non-compatible one?

A Test Patch is ALWAYS compatible. The incompatible version is developed and spread to the betatesters for extensive testing, we will only get it when its done. (These are assumptions, Scawen may of course say something different :>)
Quote from Scawen :OK, I've just changed it so that the four spare bytes at offset 24 now contain "WE1R" (an ascii string with no NULL terminator).

Would it be possible to do the same in the mpr files Scawen? Or even the LFSW code (eg. 001) would be very handy!
OK, I've added the short track name to SPR and MPR formats as well as RAF.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG