The online racing simulator
need help...ashamed...drift
(15 posts, started )
I have been playing LFS for a long long time...way too many hours, up until now with my logitech momo force...totally mastered and got down all cars, on every track grip driving...

and here comes the dark side, recently, I have been bored with time attack and the whole grip racing thing, I want to see what everyone is so crazy about and drifting and this game...I have practiced a little back in the day with my momo and got decent at it...however, I recently got the G25 900 degree wheel...and it doesn't spin back as fast as in real life, so I find it hard to drift...

I've tried suggestions by others such as setting the degrees in LFS to 360 and 540 degree, while it is easier to drift, I still am making the same mistakes over and over...I tend to run out of track during the drift and I am not going any faster than all those tons of vids I see so it's not like I am just going way too fast and slide off the road...I have tried all techniques...scandanavian flick/faint, braking, throttle over, etc....how do the best on here do it? from looking at the vids it's a flick/faint technique to induce the drift...

0 damper effect, 0 spring effect, centering spring--on but set to 0%, 720 degree when grip driving in LFS and 900 in windows, 100 force when grip in LFS, 100 in windows (35 while drift in lfs and 100 in windows)...I also have all the suggested drift setups for LFS on here...just can't seem to get it 2gether even with a lot of practice...

it just seems really against my nature, everything in drifting is a taboo in grip driving and I have been for long practicing perfect driving technique that I find drifting so unnatural...

and I'm not one to not know what is going on with the car/tail...I have always been extremely sensitive to that...to much so in this case since I feel a desire to get the tail back in when it comes out even though I am intending on drifting...
You've only just started! Don't even worry about being good at it yet! Nobody was good at drifting right off the bat.

Practice the techniques you know until you get comfortable.

A tip: Go on a hotlap with your car (for speed) on a track before drifting. It helps a lot in terms of your line through the turns.

Another thing to do is to try watching Drift Bible with Keiichi Tsuchiya for tips- You can probably find the whole thing on Google Video.

But the best way that I think you could improve is to go to a drifting server in LFS and ask someone to watch you and see what you're doing right and what you're doing wrong.

Good luck.
Quote from luftrofl :You've only just started! Don't even worry about being good at it yet! Nobody was good at drifting right off the bat.

Practice the techniques you know until you get comfortable.

A tip: Go on a hotlap with your car (for speed) on a track before drifting. It helps a lot in terms of your line through the turns.

Another thing to do is to try watching Drift Bible with Keiichi Tsuchiya for tips- You can probably find the whole thing on Google Video.

But the best way that I think you could improve is to go to a drifting server in LFS and ask someone to watch you and see what you're doing right and what you're doing wrong.

Good luck.

the link is the drift bible
the g25 should spin fast enough almost on its own. it's alot faster than the DFP.
There's nothing wrong with drifting. It's a skill in its own right.

BUT

It's not racing... that's all. I don't think there can ever be a winner at it. Just whoever is more accurate, or whoever(s) can do the best display. It's a show form.

Although LFS is a 'racing' sim, it does that fine a job of creating it's own car world, it allows you to be creative and do whatever you like. Which is great.

As for drifting, I really don't get these drift setups. I keep a RWD car in opposite lock through a corner in 'Race S' without problem. You just need to go faster
thanks for all the support and tips guys...the LFS community truly is the most helpful!

I've seen the drift bible in the past many times...and have been using those techniques...I just have a tendency to try and correct the back end when it gets out--just the way I am wired I guess...doing the opposite of everything I know and have learned is difficult...I will keep practicing...

what settings do you find best for a 900 degree wheel such as the G25...?

many guys tell me to turn the FF down, but then I find the wheel doesn't want to spin back on it's own and the feel is down as well...
U can drfit in stock...

Wel i have settings and stock.

yes i took me 3 days to master drifting and i loved drfiting b4 i started lfs and lfs is great o challange your skills online i hope to you you get better

id be a pro but m mouse is acting up.

Oh and allways sue these...

View: Use the view of seeing the drivers hads and the steering wheel.

Shifting: Manual

Wheel turning lock: Up to you i dont know

Beguiner?: Try borrow a setting maybe

Steering: Use the mosue to steer
lol. master sure
Quote from dizzlez :yes i took me 3 days to master drifting

Pick your words more carefully
Quote from Jertje :Pick your words more carefully

Yes...

well my keybored is being very dodgey with me today the keys are being anoying so im gona buy a new keybored this has been happening to me alot.

and i need a new mouse for sure.
Quote from LFSn00b :And you are english???

I can write even better english than you.

Yes!

But im 13 and type to fast and tend to spazz up a bit. lol

so dont take the micky please.

oh snd by the way your xfire profile sais u play LFS but on xfire it dosnt come up i have played LFS how come thats just not fair.

Oh maybe becuase you have different version xfire? i dunno.
thanks for the setup ethan520...that did the trick...it was like magic! night and day...I was drifting with full 720 degree setting after using that setup...and now stock setup as well...the other drift setups I downloaded are not so good...I guess that was part of the problem, but I am a somewhat decent drifter now...lol I always use faint/flick technique for the most part, sometimes brake tap or even clutch kick...
Quote from EeekiE :As for drifting, I really don't get these drift setups. I keep a RWD car in opposite lock through a corner in 'Race S' without problem. You just need to go faster

sure, every drifter can do that, the thing is the setup is needed for your own comfort, so that the car behaves just like you want it to. In other words - If you put on Jordan's basketball sneakers - you won't become a better basketball player, it's all in the skill, but those sneakers make Jordan feel more comfortable during the game.

(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG