The online racing simulator
engine stalls
(18 posts, started )
engine stalls
Ive read the sticky above but ive not seen this particular request. If its there than i wish to +1 it.

How about having the option to stall the engine if the clutch is not pressed when in low rpm. My first reaction when breaking hard or spining out is to hit both the break and the clutch in order not to stall, usless now since the engine does not die anyways. Its done in Rfactor so i guess it could be done here also. LFS is much better anyways

Apart from this i am totally satisfied with the new patches, they have addressed all my other little pet peeves. Keep up the good work Devs.
I have a slight feeling that engine stalling won't be implemented until Scawen introduces other engine-affecting features too, like ruining your motor completely in a crash or over-revving it.
#3 - ajp71
To my knowledge LFSs clutch modeling is very basic, it doesn't even simulate clutch slip let alone wear yet so I think having proper control over the clutch pedal will come at a later date.
been suggested "search pl0x"
Wouldn't this end up being an advantage to anyone who doesn't have a clutch?
Quote from smashpiranha :Wouldn't this end up being an advantage to anyone who doesn't have a clutch?

not really an advantage at all. you just dont have to depress the clutch when you crash/stop....
I just hope that Scawen is prepared to go for the hard way. If you spin in the BF1 (for example) and the engine goes off. Well, tough luck. No starter = spectate.

It is quite brutal effect in the end when you have been driving years without having to take care of the engine. Suddenly you need to watch for overrevving and engine temps. It is just quite a big difference compared to the current situation when there is basically no way of damaging the engine if you trying to drive as fast as possible. As fast as possible is flatshifting, overrevving... The same thing with aerodynamic damage (wings falling off etc..). People who are used to have small nudges during the races in FOX (for example) will have hard time understanding that the wings are very fragile on those cars. I like very much the idea of undertray damage what ajp suggested in one other thread; cutting corners would damage the understrays. Even though it is the nature of tracks to cut so deeply it is still a unrealistic when you compare similar corners from real life.

What I'm trying to say is that engine stalling itself includes a lot more features and dimensions than just accidentally stalling the engine. I really hope that we won't see any arcade options, like "auto-clutch on spin". And the current driving aids are inspected and reviewed on the basis of speed gain and easiness of driving. Using auto-clutch does not only make you faster, it makes it easier. Same thing if the throttle cut on upshift is left untouched. With engine damage implemented that option can severely aid your driving because you can't overrev the engine on upshift.

I really hope that these driving aids come with proper time penalty, to reward people to use H-pattern shifters and clutch pedals or pay a price for not using them. This has, of course, quite close relatioship with the engines and drivetrains and transmission in individual cars in LFS, which needs to be different. Does the FZ50 have paddles or H-pattern shifter? The GTRs? The LXs?
Quote from Hyperactive :H-pattern shifter

You cannot force people to use an h-shifer though. I would stop playing LFS if I had to buy an expensive shifter just to play.
Quote from wheel4hummer :You cannot force people to use an h-shifer though. I would stop playing LFS if I had to buy an expensive shifter just to play.

It is not about forcing. It is about not penalizing them who want to use harder controls
Hyperactive:

I've lately been thinking exactly the same regarding.. well, everything: shifter, clutch and about corner cutting too (undertray).

I purchased Act Labs RS Shifter, but stopped using it 2 months ago because sequential is faster (a shame, I really liked driving with it).

I'm not about to say that sequential should be slower as default, because that would be unrealistic - instead I suggest each car has it's own prefered gearbox, and this alone should be the fastest one - for that particular car.

Forinstance - FXO with sequential = slower gear changes than using shifter. Or the reverse: FOX with sequential changes faster than shifter.

Still, nothing is forced upon people, but what you chose isn't necesarely best for that car.

IMO thats the only way to do it.

Exactly same goes for the clutch.

I'm not talking about huge time penaties here - that would be annoying, pointless and leave less drivers to run at a competitive pace - but the ones with the proper setup, some (serious) practice or even skills, should show the true difference.

A proper damage system would be really great addition to LFS - I'm hoping this will be the next big thing being worked on.

I've participated in some leagues - currently in MoE which is the most thrilling and demanding (IMO) of them all, and I've gone from overheating tires within 10 laps - premature punctures to full stints without too much to worry about.

It would be more difficult to race with a complete damage system, but on the other hand also more thrilling and rewarding when done right - also - you might do moves that causes minor damage that basically doesn't affect the car, but repeating this over and over again should be penalized with such system.

Some tracks/combos just seem so unrealistic the way they are driven with the cutting. It actually took quiet some time for me to understand this - and had to re-program my brain not to think too realistically :P
Quote from r4ptor :...

Exactly .

Basically it is supporting the option that is closest to the real thing. If one does not use this method he need to use some driving aids to drive the car. And using driving aids should always be slower. The only reason why driving aids exist is to help people to learn to drive the car, not to drive it faster

Of course one should not mix systems like racing traction control to TCS used in civil cars, or racing ABS to civil ABS. Or in-game driving helps like "stability control" to ESP. Civil xxx is an aid to work as a safety net but a racing xxx is only to make you faster, not necessarily easier. Stability control is a game feature made to make the driving easier, while ESP is a real life safety gadget to help the ultra skilled masta driftor boiz to cope with the 90 brake horse po - wer - s in their ultra-hi downforce streching machines.
you are right...im driving on logitech g25,and clutch is tooooo much agresive,you cant start moving your car steady,(like real car in low rpm).you need to start in high rpm like some beginner in car.anyway clutch need to be fixed,to be able drive (start car like the real car).its not yust the starting the car,good clutch is very importent for racing and controling the car...every good driver whill know what im talking about.(sry on my bad enaglish;((.
regard.
Shoock123
I think that there should be a delay for sequencial shifting on all h-gate cars though.
+1 for all that Couldnt have said it better:

Quote from Hyperactive :I just hope that Scawen is prepared to go for the hard way. If you spin in the BF1 (for example) and the engine goes off. Well, tough luck. No starter = spectate.

It is quite brutal effect in the end when you have been driving years without having to take care of the engine. Suddenly you need to watch for overrevving and engine temps. It is just quite a big difference compared to the current situation when there is basically no way of damaging the engine if you trying to drive as fast as possible. As fast as possible is flatshifting, overrevving... The same thing with aerodynamic damage (wings falling off etc..). People who are used to have small nudges during the races in FOX (for example) will have hard time understanding that the wings are very fragile on those cars. I like very much the idea of undertray damage what ajp suggested in one other thread; cutting corners would damage the understrays. Even though it is the nature of tracks to cut so deeply it is still a unrealistic when you compare similar corners from real life.

What I'm trying to say is that engine stalling itself includes a lot more features and dimensions than just accidentally stalling the engine. I really hope that we won't see any arcade options, like "auto-clutch on spin". And the current driving aids are inspected and reviewed on the basis of speed gain and easiness of driving. Using auto-clutch does not only make you faster, it makes it easier. Same thing if the throttle cut on upshift is left untouched. With engine damage implemented that option can severely aid your driving because you can't overrev the engine on upshift.

I really hope that these driving aids come with proper time penalty, to reward people to use H-pattern shifters and clutch pedals or pay a price for not using them. This has, of course, quite close relatioship with the engines and drivetrains and transmission in individual cars in LFS, which needs to be different. Does the FZ50 have paddles or H-pattern shifter? The GTRs? The LXs?

Quote from r4ptor :Hyperactive:

I've lately been thinking exactly the same regarding.. well, everything: shifter, clutch and about corner cutting too (undertray).

I purchased Act Labs RS Shifter, but stopped using it 2 months ago because sequential is faster (a shame, I really liked driving with it).

I'm not about to say that sequential should be slower as default, because that would be unrealistic - instead I suggest each car has it's own prefered gearbox, and this alone should be the fastest one - for that particular car.

Forinstance - FXO with sequential = slower gear changes than using shifter. Or the reverse: FOX with sequential changes faster than shifter.

Still, nothing is forced upon people, but what you chose isn't necesarely best for that car.

IMO thats the only way to do it.

Exactly same goes for the clutch.

I'm not talking about huge time penaties here - that would be annoying, pointless and leave less drivers to run at a competitive pace - but the ones with the proper setup, some (serious) practice or even skills, should show the true difference.

A proper damage system would be really great addition to LFS - I'm hoping this will be the next big thing being worked on.

I've participated in some leagues - currently in MoE which is the most thrilling and demanding (IMO) of them all, and I've gone from overheating tires within 10 laps - premature punctures to full stints without too much to worry about.

It would be more difficult to race with a complete damage system, but on the other hand also more thrilling and rewarding when done right - also - you might do moves that causes minor damage that basically doesn't affect the car, but repeating this over and over again should be penalized with such system.

Some tracks/combos just seem so unrealistic the way they are driven with the cutting. It actually took quiet some time for me to understand this - and had to re-program my brain not to think too realistically :P

NASCAR Racing 2003 by Papyrus does handle this 'issue' by letting the Automatic Gear change be a little bit slower than the normal Gear change. Same should go in LFS if you take a car using a Automatic Clutch Pedal - it should work a little slower than normal Pedal Clutching, same for F1 Paddle Shifting in H-Gate Shifting type cars.
The engine revving seems very weird. If you turn the engine off it takes an age to stop spinning, suggesting a heavy flywheel. Yet, if you try and pull off, even in the road cars, at 2000rpm with manual clutch it will bog right down, or you'll have to ride the clutch for about 10 minutes to get it moving; which suggests no flywheel at all.
Quote from EeekiE :The engine revving seems very weird. If you turn the engine off it takes an age to stop spinning, suggesting a heavy flywheel. Yet, if you try and pull off, even in the road cars, at 2000rpm with manual clutch it will bog right down, or you'll have to ride the clutch for about 10 minutes to get it moving; which suggests no flywheel at all.

Well turning off the ignition does not turn off the car completely.
Yes, it turns off the ignition. I'm talking about with clutch dipped or in neutral. Even going from idle to dead takes an amount of time that suggests a big flywheel.

engine stalls
(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG