Outgauge to laptop
(12 posts, started )
Outgauge to laptop
Hello everyone. Before i ask my question i would just like to mention that,

A: Yes i have used the "search function"

B: Yes i have used the "Google button"

C: Yes i have found reference material to my question

D: But no, i have not realy understood above mentioned "C:" material illepall

I know that you can send car info, ie F-9 and F-12 info to a second screen using outgauge. I have read but not understood Scawens OutGauge - now available in T6 post.

Basicaly i would like to know if a comon mortal like myself could set something like this up, or is this reserved only for programing Gods?.

I would appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction in order to learn how to make this possible.

Thank you in advance for any answers or help i may receive.
Quote from Elderado :Basicaly i would like to know if a comon mortal like myself could set something like this up, or is this reserved only for programing Gods?.

It highly depends on the amount of experience you have.

Basically all you need to do is setup LFS' cfg file to send Outgauge data to a specific IP address. As long as your game-playing-PC can see/find a route to your laptop's IP address, you're on a good start.

All that you'd then need to do is setup a program that listens on the laptop's non-local IP address (i.e. not 127.0.0.1) and displays the data that LFS transmits.

Outgauge packets come as UDP packets, in a "traditional" structure - which is a way to compact lots of data into the same memory space. Its usually easier to get a struct out of a socket stream using C or something, but its also fairly simple to use VB, or any of the .NET languages. Even PHP.

There is/was an app that you might be looking for in the unofficial addons secton that does kind of what you want. All you'd need to do is setup LFS to transmit to the laptop, instead of localhost (127.0.0.1).

Hope that helps
Quote from Elderado :I know that you can send car info, ie F-9 and F-12 info to a second screen using outgauge.

Not entirely true - you can send to any network-enabled device data that contains things you would have on the dashboard or onboard display of a racecar. Nothing as detailed as the F9 to F12 overlays.

Quote :Basicaly i would like to know if a comon mortal like myself could set something like this up, or is this reserved only for programing Gods?.

I would appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction in order to learn how to make this possible.

You don't have to be a programming god. But it will be more of "running before walking" if you have never programmed before. One "easy" way to get into it is using a premade library like sdether's excellent all-in-one library for .NET - currently that framework is one of the easiest and most documented ones online to get into.

EDIT:
If this is your first go at something like this then don't mind all the jargon the_angry_angel just tossed at you - he's just trying to scare you off while looking knowledgeable to the boys :P (we'll have to give him a blanket party for that) - take it one step at a time.
Quote from xaotik :If this is your first go at something like this then don't mind all the jargon the_angry_angel just tossed at you - he's just trying to scare you off while looking knowledgeable to the boys :P (we'll have to give him a blanket party for that) - take it one step at a time.

Meh I was trying to make it sound simple, but with enough info to provide a reasonable starting block...
Thanks for the reply angel, i was with you right until this point;

Quote from the_angry_angel :
All that you'd then need to do is setup a program that listens on the laptop's non-local IP address (i.e. not 127.0.0.1) and displays the data that LFS transmits.

Outgauge packets come as UDP packets, in a "traditional" structure - which is a way to compact lots of data into the same memory space. Its usually easier to get a struct out of a socket stream using C or something, but its also fairly simple to use VB, or any of the .NET languages. Even PHP.

There is/was an app that you might be looking for in the unofficial addons secton that does kind of what you want. All you'd need to do is setup LFS to transmit to the laptop, instead of localhost (127.0.0.1).

Hope that helps

I found that program here in the addon section that sorta did what i wanted but it ran on the bottom of my screen and LFS was in windowed mode above it. As well it did not work completly (may have been the updated patchs fault)

My laptop is already in network with my main pc so thats no problem. I think i could make an overlay in paintshop, all i realy want is to display fuel info as well as tire wear. My main problem is creating a program to start the whole thing. I will head over to premade library like sdether's excellent all-in-one library for .NET and see if i can make heads or tails out of that.

Thanks again and more news to follow as events warrant.
Quote from Elderado :all i realy want is to display fuel info as well as tire wear

Sadly, tyre wear is not transmitted through outgauge.
You can get the full list of info sent through it in the thread Scawen had started (the t6 one I think) and very likely in the docs folder of your LFS installation.

Quote from the_angry_angel :Meh I was trying to make it sound simple, but with enough info to provide a reasonable starting block...

Yeah, I know - just kidding you.
I had a hunch Elderado would likely not fully understand that stuff to start with and by the time he can (which shouldn't take long) he would of already had figured out that part
-
(Elderado) DELETED by Elderado : double post
Quote from xaotik : One "easy" way to get into it is using a premade library like sdether's excellent all-in-one library for .NET - currently that framework is one of the easiest and most documented ones online to get into.

Cant seem to find this, any link?

Thanks
Sure, here you go and for a development environment either Visual Studio Express or SharpDevelop - the last been less bloated and opensource. You'll need to manually download the .NET SDK if you choose to use SharpDevelop.

There are quickstart tutorials in the SDK to get you started with the basics - and the web is full of more advanced stuff.
Thanks for the links xaotik. I can now officially say that i am overwhelmed by the task ahead of me. I think i shall wait till after the holidays to tackle this project.

On another note, not sure if this should be aimed towards the devs or even in another formum but here goes.

Since LFS already has the option of running in windowed mode, how hard would it be to have the option of having other windows open when you press other buttons (like F12 lets say)? Same principle as FS2004. We could than slide them to another monitor. Some thing like this?

Thanks again for the help.
try coding something then?

Outgauge to laptop
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG