The online racing simulator
For everyone the same Setup !
(69 posts, started )
#1 - Sash
Hi,
first i have to say sorry for my bad english.

There must be an (optional) option for some race events that every Player on a server have the same setup and can not change to another one. So only the drivers skill is the main criteria and NOT a better setup.

Greetings Sash.
+1 I'd also like to see this implemented, considering people have wanted to attempt single setup races before. But the main issue is that people have drastically different driving styles. I've had situations where a teammate's set may be able to get them close to my times, but when I try it out I can't get it within a second of their time and vice versa for them, so you may not really be testing out a driver's skill.
#3 - Renku
I don't want it!
#4 - ORION
Problem is, that racer A likes set X most, and racer B likes set Y most, thus it will never be fair, because both racers' times will vary a lot, depending on which set will be used...
You could setup a league though, where everyone must send his setup. Dunno if its possible to control this using some of the interfaces supported by LFS (in/outsim/-gauge, etc)

Too many different driving styles
#6 - bbman
Quote from Sash :Hi,
first i have to say sorry for my bad english.

There must be an (optional) option for some race events that every Player on a server have the same setup and can not change to another one. So only the drivers skill is the main criteria and NOT a better setup.

Greetings Sash.

So you think that I should use your - most certainly - understeery setup, whereas I like a lively rear, only because you said so? Sorry mate, that's not gonna happen...
#7 - Sash
I only see this as an OPTIONAL option and not as an standard.

So the race organisator can decide if he want this option or not. If you don`t like it you don`t must take part on this race or maybe this league.

Just an idea...
+99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 for forced setups!!!!!

IROC in the USA uses forced setups - the advantage of this is that it takes out all crap like who can make the best setups and leaves it to just who is the fastest guy on the track- and that works. A1GP doesn't used forced setups but it deffo should - it would make it it a lower cost formula.

Formula Renault only uses 3 types of gear ratios - maybe have an option to make it a choice of up to 3 setups or something.

E : As an OPTION.
#9 - Gunn
I'd never use the option or join a server that had it, but I don't care if it is there. Forced sets won't suit every controller, it's as simple as that.
Quote from duke_toaster :..the advantage of this is that it takes out all crap like who can make the best setups and leaves it to just who is the fastest guy on the track- and that works.

No, it just leaves the fastest guy with the current setup. It's a disadvantage for those who have a different kind of driving style.

-(n+1)
-1 again.

the tastes are so different...
there are sets some people feel really familiar with, but others can´t handle it.

i think we should be happy that we can set up our cars the way we want them to behave. (well, theoretically )
Strange how all the faster guys are against that option stating good arguments, while the supporters (which seem the slower guys) can't bring one good reason except it might be used in a league (nobody would join anyway because of obvious reasons)...
Quote from bbman :while the supporters (which seem the slower guys) can't bring one good reason except it might be used in a league (nobody would join anyway because of obvious reasons)...

Yes, I drive like a drunk granny, but it would definately be an OPTION for leagues that WANT IT. Forced setups take out whoever has the best setupmaker out of the equation, and make racing closer. IROC. Nuff said.
The host should be able to choose whether they want this option implimented on their server or not... That's my opinion
Quote from spsamsp :The host should be able to choose whether they want this option implimented on their server or not... That's my opinion

Of course.
#16 - Sash
Quote from bbman :Strange how all the faster guys are against that option stating good arguments, while the supporters (which seem the slower guys) can't bring one good reason except it might be used in a league (nobody would join anyway because of obvious reasons)...

But you are against it and slow ...

When me and my friends drive with the same setup, we have the best races. But of course, everybody should race the way he likes.

@bbman
We speak the same language, so maybe i can give you more reasons in a private message if you like.
Most everyone drives with the Inferno sets anyway, and then they tweak it to their liking and for their controller.

I, for example, prefer very little steering lock (12 degrees on the FO8). This is because my wheel is utter garbage (Force RS) and extremely notchy, so I have to reduce the sensitivity as much as I can.
#18 - Sash
Quote from Forbin :Most everyone drives with the Inferno sets anyway, and then they tweak it to their liking and for their controller.

I, for example, prefer very little steering lock (12 degrees on the FO8). This is because my wheel is utter garbage (Force RS) and extremely notchy, so I have to reduce the sensitivity as much as I can.

Good Point ! So maybe some tweaks are allowed or the Server Admins decide which things you can change and which not.
Certain things, steering lock and brake force for example, are very controller dependant, so the option to adjust those should never be removed whatever else is added (imo).

BUT...I like the idea of fixed setup racing. Wouldn't it be fun to race the road-cars with road-car setups for a change? Screw laptimes It would (almost) be like having a whole extra garage of cars to use. If I can't adjust my driving to fit the car as quickly/well as you can, then you're better in that car than I am, simple as that.
No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

No.

Instead a lot of setup options should be removed from road cars.
+infinity

yea i would love this ive had servers where i tell people to use the setups i send em, but they dont.

again great idae
Quote from sinbad :Certain things, steering lock and brake force for example, are very controller dependant, so the option to adjust those should never be removed whatever else is added (imo).

I can't use exactly the same settings for my MS FF Wheel and my DFP or vice versa. So I totally agree.

About the whole fixed setup idea:
Why not can be fun.

Only problem I see is that then more people don't practise car/tracks in front of league races because they already have then a setup.
(btw I always hate it seeing people start somewhere in a league race and don't have a set or know how much fuel the car needs etc. but that's a totally diff. problem)
Harmless suggestion but pointless in my opinion. I used to think like this, forcing people to use the same setup would be a better judge of a driver's ability. Even though I still find it difficult to make decent setups from scratch I totally disagree with that now.

I used to ask for setups from fast drivers and struggle to do decent times with them, scratching my head thinking what am I doing wrong. Then I realise their style is totally different to mine, theres no point using their setup. I can never drive like they do, it's not my style.

I don't see forced setup servers/leagues being popular among anything but absolute beginners to LFS. As others have said, forcing a setup will not level the field, because some might like the setup and some might not. That doesn't mean those that don't like the setup are bad drivers.
Quote from franky500 :-1

Too many different driving styles

So, take out the car limitation, i love FZ5, sometimes i am faster with it than other players with faster cars... its all about driving style, so why limit it?
+1.

I think this option worked extremely well in NR2003 and I don't see why it wouldn't work in LFS. I agree with Sinbad that you would probably want to exempt a few settings from the "fixed" condition, such as brake pressure and max wheel turn settings, but I think the principle of a level playing field (as an option, of course) is great.

(69 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG