The online racing simulator
What engine sound is better?
(66 posts, started )

Poll : What engine sound is better?

New engine sound (U32)
Old engine sound (P-U)
Saying "The new Sound is an improvment" is depending on what car you are testing. Honestly i didnt tryout all cars, but those i am using most frequently (FOX, GTRS, XFR, BF1). Some of them really showed improvment, some are just different, but unfortunatly the new BF1 Sound is really bad. I mean really really bad. -> :thumbsdow

The only excuse there is is the fact that this is a testpatch.

edit: votet for "old engine sound".
There oughta be a "both/neither" option. The old sounds themselves were nicer, but the new functionalities are an improvement already in this intermediate patch.

The LX6 is one of the best sounding in U32. Despite it sounding almost exactly like a 1000cc motorcycle v-twin, it really shows how good the new system could sound once it's tweaked.
Simulating the difference between inside and outside car sound is better too, but the amount of volume reduction by muffling is too much (especially the tires*), in addition to the "naked" sounds themselves sounding too bottled up.

* there is a choice to be made on bias between gameplay and reality. In reality you don't drive without a seat of the pants feedback. Having any less total useable feedback than you'd have in reality is a bigger compromise to realistic driving and immersion than a surrealistically improved visual and auditive feedback that fills the gap of seat-of-the-pant's absence.

Analogously, flight sims simulate human eyes' ability to recognize planes from distances that equate to less than a dozen pixels in computer displays by ID icons next to the game's planes.
I have to agree with some of the others posters here when I say that some of the new ones are better and others aren't.
The biggest problem I had was that the skid and wind sounds seem to be almost gone. I had to turn down engine volume and put the others up full, and still I could barely hear the tyres.

CSR still wins in the sound department, just a shame about the lack of doppler
#54 - col
Quote from Haikoe :Since the U32 sounds are uncompleted testsounds. I don't want to compare them with earlier versions of the soundsystem.

For me it's like comparing a chassis of a new supercar with an existing ferrari.

So no vote from me this time.

I totally agree
#55 - col
Quote from George Kuyumji :Does the Soundsystem that works in LFS has the Potential to sound more accurate than the Sample-Sounds Engine?

I understand the idea and goal of LFS Sound System and find it interesting. But how far away are we from a System that not only generates Sounds 'on the fly', but also actually sounds as good or better than samples-generated sound?

About as far away as we are from having the graphics look as good as video fotage of real cars....
But thats not the point.

My understanding is that the sound enging is supposed to give the driver as much feedback as possible, so there will always be a compromise between visceral raw exitement caused by real sounding engine roar, and the more synthetic but much more useful sound obtained through simulation instead of record/playback.... I think right now its not good enough, but it's brand new and in testing - hasn't even made it to an alpha release, so I think folks are being very premature with their judgements...
I don't think it's premature. It's rather giving feedback about something that is important to us.

And what if all people who don't like it just sit on their mouth? Nobody will notice that they don't like it then.

Feedback is always good... even if it's negative, and even if this is just a test patch.
I like new better, feels more racey now, could still be improved more though, they do sound a bit too similar. 32 for me
32 is a step ahead, but it has a long way to go until it can be definitely called an improvement. I dont bother how the engines sound, there is no real LX6 or XR GTR you could use for comparsion. But what I dont like is the lack of tyre skidding sound and such things. When I lock the wheels in XF GTI, the only way I find it out is because of car steering responses.

I hope that Scawen will tweak it up and then I think we all will be satisfied...
#59 - col
Quote from jibber :I don't think it's premature. It's rather giving feedback about something that is important to us.

And what if all people who don't like it just sit on their mouth? Nobody will notice that they don't like it then.

Feedback is always good... even if it's negative, and even if this is just a test patch.

There seems to be less feedback like:
I don't like the new sound because A B C
you could improve it by D E F

and more like:
The new sound sucks - I'm going back to the old version... so there !!

Too many people react with extreme judgements, and thats just wasting a great opportunity to really help the develoment process - the little value that their negative and non-constructive comment adds is easily outweighed by the addition of extra 'noise' to the feedback process.
It would be great if more people would spend more time to try and think a bit harder about why they have the reaction they do and express their views with more accuracy... I guess thats a forlorn hope though...
Basically what this poll does is make the feedback even less precise and less personal - so even less useful ! IMO it would make sense to have a vote like this on a change to a 'release' version, but in the context of an early development test release, I think it is un-helpful.
eg. how can people say that they don't like the new sounds as much but can see a greater potential for ultimate success ?
How can they say what it is that they do or don't like ?
#60 - neRu
I absolutely hate them! Terrifying, all cars, no matter if its a v8, flat4 or inline4 sounds allmost exactly the same!

Try listening to it with a headset on, you cant stand more than 2 minutes, 3 tops.

The gearwhine sounds sick - and what is it doing on all other cars except GTR's ?

The gearshiftclick? What the h*** is that for, have we done something that annoys you Scavier?

The turbowhine is the only thing i like, it has gotten a little better, but please, those enginesounds, horrible!
#61 - GLN
omg
Firstly, i was really happy to see that there were new sounds...5 minutes later i was even happier that i found a link to download U30 again...

I mean, omg, here i am, loving this thing, awaiting my new G25 for christmas, thinking that while it maybe isn't perfect, the worst things about the game can be called at least "good"

But these sounds, omg, i hope that this is just some sort of joke by Scawen or someone to silence all the people who kept on ranting about the old sounds...and that all will be well when the "real" patch will be available (hopefully) by Christmas.

Fox => okayishhh

The road cars => a bit identical indeed

The BF1 => OMFG, my vacüum cleaner sounds better than that, what the hell does THAT sound have in common with a screamin' 750 bhp SingleSeater? It totally destroyed one of my favourite cars to the point tha t i first installed CSR and then reverted to U30.

I hope i'm right about the joke...then again, it ain't April 1st yet...
1st: congratulations for the great work to the devs.
2nd: many people say, they drove 3 mins and they already hate it.
I say calm down, you cant make a decision in 2 mins. And evenmore,
the factor of being used to the old sounds is still too strong for now.
I will see. For now i can definitaley say, that the FZ5 is really .
tomorrow LX cup, will see how that sound will be
Quote from aoun : No good... the MRT5 sounds like a vacum cleaner!!

They all do!
What in the world is with all the hostility on the new sounds? It's a test patch! That means, well, it's A TEST! There's no reason to come on the forum and flame Scawen about it and how "OMG, it sucks so bad!" Test it and give some constructive critisism on what is wrong with them.

A good example of NON-constructive critisism:
Quote :The BF1 => OMFG, my vacüum cleaner sounds better than that, what the hell does THAT sound have in common with a screamin' 750 bhp SingleSeater? It totally destroyed one of my favourite cars to the point tha t i first installed CSR and then reverted to U30.

Great, you now hate your favorite car because it sounds like a vacuum cleaner. Go ahead and revert back to U30. If you are smart, it's not all that hard to revert. You just start LFS from your U30 install rather than the U32 install that you copied the U30 folder over to patch it. Or aren't you smart enough to do make a copy of your working folder and patch this just incase you end up with issues with the test.

I haven't tested the patch out yet. I'm taking it home tonight. Hopefully I can test it out on the servers (US has been horrible for racing), if not I'll run some offline. If I don't have anything constructive to say though, that hasn't already been said, I won't say anything.
Quote from Dupson :synthesis will not provide as good sound as samples , deal with it.
U want a good synthetic sounds?? > it takes cpu power, but still U will not get as good sounds as samples. Simple as that
(sorry if it is hard to understand the message - my english lacks)

Actually theres evidence that is contrary to this. There happens to be a very clever gentlemen on this very forum who works as a professional game developer, for another company/product, and produces some very beautiful synthetic sound. Its entirely possible.
Quote from the_angry_angel :Actually theres evidence that is contrary to this. There happens to be a very clever gentlemen on this very forum who works as a professional game developer, for another company/product, and produces some very beautiful synthetic sound. Its entirely possible.

Yep, after hearing those examples, i am convinced that synthetic sounds could sound really great.. I hope Scawen figures it out how..

What engine sound is better?
(66 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG