The online racing simulator
Good vid card, motherboard, and processor?..for LFS
Hey guys!
Im upgrading my comp for christmas this year so i have a 300 dollar check to spend off. My old stuff made LFS lag a lot when there was alot of racers around. I need to know if this vid card is good for LFS...and if the motherboard and processor are good and will all work in harmony....

This is the Vid card i will get unless there is something better for around the same price.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ ... .asp?Item=N82E16814150182

This is the motherboard and processor i will get unless...again something better for the same price.
http://www.newegg.com/product/ ... .asp?item=N82E16813138264
http://www.newegg.com/product/ ... .asp?item=N82E16819103539

And remeber i have around a 300 dollar budget. And i have a midtower case.

If you have a better setup then this one just post it and i will examine it(needs to total around 300, must be from newegg, and must be NVIDIA pci-e, AMD athlon 64, NVIDIA motherboard).

Thanks and reply fast so i can get the stuff for christmas faster.
Will ur current ram work with this new mobo? if its ddr400 ur fine. That stuff should all rock for lfs. The mobo is a MicroATX you know right?

I've got a X850XT, so a little less powerful than the 7600GT, and a 4800X2 at 2.4ghz vs your 2.2ghz, so call it fairly even. LFS never goes under 60 fps unless its something crazy like 14 people on the car park with a crazy barriers everywhere (*at 1280x768).

What resolution you game at? As long as your less than 1920x1200 you should be fine with that combo, LFS wise.
Yup its 2 GB of DDR400 so its fine... but wat does the micro atx mean? I know it means smaller but will it work? I have a midtower case.
If the micro ATX wont work it would be great for somebody to find me another one that is good and will work well with the other parts.

Ha ha.. i can't even go over 60 fps with my current set! lol I usually stay between 15-40 fps!

I currently running an OK, pretty NEW vid card: 256mb 6800xt 8pp agp but an old ass processor & mobo. SO i need a whole new vid card since AGP is way outdated.

Oh and i'm going to be selling my old vid card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ ... .asp?Item=N82E16814150163
For around 90 bucks if anybody wants it. It's AGP 8X. Great vid card for AGP 8X!

But thanks for the help, more help would be awesome.
A microATX board should fit fine in a midsize case, it just is a bit smaller...

that process upgrade should make a big difference in your fps. Good Luck!
How much smaller? Does it still have the nessacary items?

Thanks

Oh and i live in Charlotte, NC also. What part do you live in?
Hopefully someone will respond to this with a little expertise on the microatx form factor. As far as I know it is a bit smaller in all dimensions, so it can fit small cases like.... this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ ... .asp?Item=N82E16811144162

good for traveling and such. If you regular size midtower is relative not ancient, it should have mounting points to accomodate either atx or microatx mobos.

Something like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ ... .asp?Item=N82E16813131530

is designed for the atx form factor, and you would have to worry about any compatability issues. Mobo's can be hit or miss, my asus has worked flawlessly, I haven't overclocked at all though...

I just built my pc about 4-5 months ago and love it. It might not match the top Core 2 Duo powerhouses, but AMD A64s are proven for gaming, and well documented when I built. I'm happy with it.

A64 X2 4800 @ 2.4GHz
Asus A8n-Sli Premium
Ati X850Xt 256MB
G.Skill 2GB DDR400 2-3-2-5
Antec Smartpower 500w
WD 250gb
And this mid-tower atx case that i love
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ ... .asp?Item=N82E16811196019

Small world, you're from Charlotte too. I live right off of 485 and Providence road. Actually I'm about to graduate from the University of South Carolina, and I'm taking a job down in Jacksonville Florida...
but Charlotte will always be home
Oh you replied to late.... i Already ordered all my stuff hours ago. I got everything i posted above and added 2 extras: A new midtower case(because the one i have now is ugly as sin and supposedly doesn't support micro ATX)
http://www.newegg.com/product/ ... .asp?item=N82E16811170027
Also got another fan to replace the rear fan(probably didn't need to but look how cool that fan is! ):
http://www.newegg.com/product/ ... .asp?item=N82E16835216003

The total was 400....but my parents let it slide. Shipping ain't cheap when your ordering a case.

But i probably would have gotten the case you have if i saw that before i ordered, i like the 140mm fan and the blue LEDs.

I think the microATX will work perfectly in the case, if not newegg will take it back with not even a studder.

EWW..... ATI??? illepall j/k But i don't like ATI cards. NVIDIA makes me happy.

It is a small world.... i live pretty close to you.

But thanks for all your HELP!
Cool, congrats on the new gear!

Yeah, I love my case, I just stare at it sometimes... illepall Take your time with the wiring though, bad wiring can look real bad and hurt airflow!

I prefer nvidia of the two, user interface is a bit more friendly, but actually the past two cards i've had are ati, just price/performace was too good compared to the nvidia countercard.

I am hoping to get a nice high level 8800 card once my job makes me not soo thrifty.
Thankyou

If i ever need a new case i'll get that, looks nice, and will match my comp setup.

WOW 8800...sure is high level! If you get one i'd recommend a XFX 8800gtx
http://xfxforce.com/web/viewFeature.jspa?featureId=728575

Not that i have tried it, it just looks smoking hot and the performance sounds 100x better than it looks. Just think of the power running in SLI w/ a AMD 2.8 GHz dual core processor! :nut: It would run FEAR at 1000fps while laughing.

Well.... i can't wait for my stuff i ordered and i'm defeintally opening it all before christmas!
reccomending the 8800 for lfs is like reccomending an AT4 rocket launcher to get rid of weeds on the front lawn.

if you do get that card... make sure your psu has a 30A +12v rail... my 430watt psu only has 18A
#11 - Jakg
Quote from Honda_TypeR_VTEC :Not that i have tried it, it just looks smoking hot and the performance sounds 100x better than it looks. Just think of the power running in SLI w/ a AMD 2.8 GHz dual core processor! :nut: It would run FEAR at 1000fps while laughing.

no, you wouldn't. You can buy a X6800 (fastest CPU atm) and then overclock then hell out of it, and it will STILL be holding the 8800GTX back.

I have a 2.8 GHz single core AMD CPU (same speed as an FX-57), and thats holding back my 7950GT - a dual core would do the same.

EDIT - Get yourself something sensible like 939 Opteron dual core (165), some nice cooling (BT) a DFI mobo, and a 7900GT and 1 or 2 Gb of high quality ram, much more even
Quote from Jakg :no, you wouldn't. You can buy a X6800 (fastest CPU atm) and then overclock then hell out of it, and it will STILL be holding the 8800GTX back.

I have a 2.8 GHz single core AMD CPU (same speed as an FX-57), and thats holding back my 7950GT - a dual core would do the same.

EDIT - Get yourself something sensible like 939 Opteron dual core (165), some nice cooling (BT) a DFI mobo, and a 7900GT and 1 or 2 Gb of high quality ram, much more even

I have to question the 7950gt being held back by your ~FX57.... Granted you'll get a few more fps with a core 2 duo extreme... but that can be said for any card really. Maybe if you're gaming at 1024x768 or less...

You might be held back by your 7950gt, but if you upgraded to a 30" monitor, you'd definatly get a big jump by getting a 7950gx2 or 8800g--
#13 - Jakg
im running at 1204*1024, the 7950GT is DEFINATELY being held back by my CPU, hoping an Opty @ 3 GHz will fix it
Quote from Jakg :im running at 1204*1024, the 7950GT is DEFINATELY being held back by my CPU, hoping an Opty @ 3 GHz will fix it

Yeah, well LFS isn't a typical game.

Does your fps ever go below 60+?
#15 - Jakg
Yes, 32 fps with a full grid at the start - but i run with 4x AA, 16x AF
I know its too late, but why purchasing an AMD now? I'm from germany and don't know how prices are in other countrys, but since Core2Due here you get much more power for less money when buying such one^^

And about the vid card: I don't think there is a need of so much grafics power in LfS. I've got an 6800GT and my FPS never drop below 37 (1600x1200x32 75Hz, 4xAA, 16AF, Supersampling and VSync).
LfS mostly needs a fast CPU (I got P4 3GHz @ 3.5GHz)
#17 - Jakg
Core 2 Duo = Need to buy new RAM, Mobo and a new CPU, if its a new build then its ok, but if your upgrading your gonna need some new kit
Quote from Jakg :Core 2 Duo = Need to buy new RAM, Mobo and a new CPU, if its a new build then its ok, but if your upgrading your gonna need some new kit

except RAM he bought all new and should not spend much more when purchasing Core2Duo and new RAM instead of an AMD without?!
#19 - Jakg
if he's going AMD (as in 939) then chances are he might be able to use some ram he has BUT if its a whole new rig then going Core 2 Duo is a better idea
hi guys!
I've got an old ati 9800 and a very old PIV 2400 and that's enough to play with all otions actived (full anti aliasing and anysotropique filter) in the best resolution (1280 x 1024 75hz) and with 40/60 fps!
so, no matter whith the most recently GC!
#21 - Jakg
Quote from patko :full anti aliasing and anysotropique filter

on a 9800 Pro?! What FPS do you get with a FULL grid?
Quote from Jakg :on a 9800 Pro?! What FPS do you get with a FULL grid?

with a full grid? about 20fps when we start and low quality but things are better after and I can do all the race with good quality and 40/60 fps.
I drive in a custom view, so it's better to have more fps...
I got my stuff and installed every thing. I get like 30-40 fps in the begginning of a race at blackwood. And usually after that it never goes below 50. 150 is best fps i got. And on Sprint i get 100 fps all the. So i am pretty happy, im little dissapointed that i still get below 40fps, but it doesn't lag the game up. I play css also and i still wish my FPS would be higher cause i get like 40-70fps. Maybe i should have gotten a 2.4ghz processor..... Oh well good enough for me. The mobo is also a GREAT mobo! I love it even though it is a micro. And i reccomend newegg. Thanks again guys.
Quote from Honda_TypeR_VTEC :I got my stuff and installed every thing. I get like 30-40 fps in the begginning of a race at blackwood. And usually after that it never goes below 50. 150 is best fps i got. And on Sprint i get 100 fps all the. So i am pretty happy, im little dissapointed that i still get below 40fps, but it doesn't lag the game up. I play css also and i still wish my FPS would be higher cause i get like 40-70fps. Maybe i should have gotten a 2.4ghz processor..... Oh well good enough for me. The mobo is also a GREAT mobo! I love it even though it is a micro. And i reccomend newegg. Thanks again guys.

Your FPS in LFS sound very good. I assume that is with max AI.

Your CSS sounds a little bit out of whack. Thats definatly sounds like a GPU thing if your FPS is low in that game IMO. I don't think you should ever get lag with that combo. 2.2GHZ should be plenty for source...

2.2GHz and 7600GT and 2GB of DDR400... hmm..

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG