The online racing simulator
change grass physics
(22 posts, started )
change grass physics
i want the grass physics to be chanced..make it more "sticky"

ive seen some replays of cars dropping the front in the grass and just slided away..insted the front of the car should realy "hook" in and make the car tumble forwards..

realistic? yea..i think so..since we dont have any rain in lfs yet..why is the grass so damn slippery?

it might just improve driving of some..if the grass was "sticky" instead of slippery ..then u would realy loose time if u ended up there..

well?
+1

This has been mentioned once or twice before - maybe this should be in the log ...
#3 - herki
I like that idea a lot; going in sideways could cause the car to flip then
I'm wondering what you mean by "the front of the car should realy "hook" in and make the car tumble forwards." That reads to me like you want the car to flip end over end if you hit the grass with the front end. If so, I highly doubt that would happen.

To me, the grass feels really good, at least with the race cars and slicks. I run at Westhill in the GTR's quite a bit. This is a very high speed track, thus it can be compared to Nascar. When a car spins on the front stretch in Nascar into the grass area at say, Daytona at 180-190 mph, it will slide and spin completely through the grass with very little hope of recovery. They usually slide/spin until they either hit the pitroad wall or completely until they slide off at the end of the grass area. This happens exactly at Westhill at the high speeds.

I don't run road cars much, so I can't comment on how road tires with tread react in the grass. But the slicks feel perfect to me and exactly how I would expect it at high speeds.
Yes, it seems to me too that grass and sand is prety realistic...
Maybe there is room for improvement... but it is definately great as it is now..
Have you tried going off road in rFactor?..
well since im not eng speaking i have some trouble finding the right words..

if you would go of the track in high speed,,and the cars lifts and hits the grass in an angel so high your tyers dont touch.'
lets say 45 deg..your car shouldnt seattle on the wheels it should flip over.

same thing if u go sideways and the car lift and hit in an angle,,,lets say 20 deg..u should realy get a freak crash.

as with the gtr cars on westhill..well..its superb..feels just realistic,same with the openwheelers.
but then there isnt any "jump" to get your car off the ground is there
maybe add some texture to the grass.like in Rfactor..its not smooth at all..the car realy jump around..
for ex..if there is 10 feet to the barrier..add some bumps to the last 5..then u would be able to save it if u wasnt going horrible wrong.

again..sry for bad spellingillepall
The grip of the grass is probably quite accurate, however LFS grass is incredibly flat, like a well kept lawn (ignoring the length of the grass, I mean the actual soil is level). It should be MUCH bumpier, really throw you around when you're on it. Grass is often deceptively bumpy, you can't see the bumps because they're all covered in... grass, funnily enough.
Quote from Bob Smith :however LFS grass is incredibly flat, like a well kept lawn (ignoring the length of the grass, I mean the actual soil is level). It should be MUCH bumpier, really throw you around when you're on it. Grass is often deceptively bumpy, you can't see the bumps because they're all covered in... grass, funnily enough.

Yes, the grass is dead flat.

Maybe if the grass physics is fixed we could have autograss with XFGs
#9 - Davo
+1

That's the onyl problem is that the grass is flat. It needs bumps and troughs so that you can roll your car easier and get damaged easier.
The sand physics are off but that's only because we can't dig into the ground. In a way that also applies to the grass, although it wouldn't happen as often.

While we're on the subject of gripping things, the tyres should grip onto other tyres better than the road, making it possible to flip and generally get bounced around if you lock wheels in an open-wheeler.
#11 - dev
Quote from Bob Smith :The grip of the grass is probably quite accurate, however LFS grass is incredibly flat, like a well kept lawn (ignoring the length of the grass, I mean the actual soil is level). It should be MUCH bumpier, really throw you around when you're on it. Grass is often deceptively bumpy, you can't see the bumps because they're all covered in... grass, funnily enough.

I agree with your every word
The grass has the right amount of grip already. It's exactly how it is in reality when you get on the grass.

If you think otherwise, you obviously haven't driven on a race circuit and felt the difference when you touch the grass when already cornering at the limit.
Quote from jamesgp2viper :The grass has the right amount of grip already. It's exactly how it is in reality when you get on the grass.

If you think otherwise, you obviously haven't driven on a race circuit and felt the difference when you touch the grass when already cornering at the limit.

You're right, I haven't driven on grass yet...
But the grass maybe fine, we just need better earth simulation; something a-bit-looser-earth where you can dig your wheels in, damaging stuff
#14 - Gunn
Regardless of the grass being "flat" it has no "give". It can't be "dug-into" by anything. At low speed it seems too slippery but if it had some give it might be easier to traverse when returing to the track after an excursion. The "stickyness" of the grass seems about right but its solidity is the unrealistic part. That's not to say that trackside areas can not be very solid in real life, they can be.
The physics model is not advanced enought to simulate rough and soft surfaces yet. The pieces to make it work are probaly not in there or it would have already been modeled. When we get to that point it will add a lot of added depth to the physics but we are nto there yet.

Do do it right the ground needs to be soft and deformable and have a very small mesh size or use a shader to simulate the rough and playable surfaces.
Quote from Easy_Mike :i want the grass physics to be chanced..make it more "sticky"

ive seen some replays of cars dropping the front in the grass and just slided away..insted the front of the car should realy "hook" in and make the car tumble forwards..

realistic? yea..i think so..since we dont have any rain in lfs yet..why is the grass so damn slippery?

it might just improve driving of some..if the grass was "sticky" instead of slippery ..then u would realy loose time if u ended up there..

well?

Looks like you're thinking of GT4 grass physics which are so unrealistic it makes my head hurt every time I drive onto the grass in GT :vomit:

GT4 is so unrealistic compared to LFS it shouldn't be called a real simulator.. but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be playing it, it's a good driving game after you learn to live with its flaws
The ability for grass to be chewed up would be nice (Eg. spinning on the grass and have the tire walls rip into the grass, and when u hamer the throtle to get back on the track have it rip divits into the grass) Also if you took a turn wide, and had the one side of the car hit the grass, show the packed spots that the wheels made on the grass. Those are the two things I would like to see in S3 in terms of off-track.
~Bryan~
+1

great idea
Quote from dropin_biking :The ability for grass to be chewed up would be nice (Eg. spinning on the grass and have the tire walls rip into the grass, and when u hamer the throtle to get back on the track have it rip divits into the grass) Also if you took a turn wide, and had the one side of the car hit the grass, show the packed spots that the wheels made on the grass. Those are the two things I would like to see in S3 in terms of off-track.
~Bryan~

well..u realy got my point..
just as u said..and make the grass "catch" the car,,make it roll over"if the angel was right" i dont mean that the car should flip over as soon as it touched the grass ...
#20 - wark
They should make the grass behave differently at different tracks. Aston would have shorter slipperier grass over a flattened surface, while fern would have longer grass over a rougher/softer surface being stickier and bouncing the car about.

change grass physics
(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG