The online racing simulator
Motion blurring.
(26 posts, started )
Motion blurring.
Not the sort seen in NFS etc, but some motion blurring on things like wheels etc.

I notice this alot when watching slo-mo replays, the way the tyre decals and wheel spokes look when spinning isn't really very nice, maybe a "blurred" texture for a spinning wheel/tyre, or some motion blurring added to these parts.
i dunno if switching textures is the way to go or not.
if you think about it in real life its your eyes that make it look blurred, so maybe the devs could look at whats stopping this from happening... some sort of rendering problem maybe?
i think it would be time better spent to make it render properly rather than switching textures.

just my 2c though
Our eyes do make it look blurred in rlf, but in a game the frame rate stops that from happening. Inconsistent frmrt make the wheel spokes look like inappropriate screen captures that are changing fast.
In a video capture or photography, the spokes move while the shutter is open making them look blurred. As a result, even a 30 fps video can show the speed or motion similar to what we percieve in rlf. If the developers can do something similar, blur & waggon-wheel effect, the game would certainly look more real.
The wagon-wheel effect can be seen at slower spins if the frmrt is const.
This is agame so good at its sim,ppl now think about these things
I don't even notice the wheels when racing in LFS.
@nikimere: It's because of how monitors and games work. All you get from a monitor is a bunch of ultra sharp still images in a very fast rate. IRL, that's obviously not the case, and on videos the still images are blurred because of the shutter speeds of the camera, which make even 24/25 fps look fluent.

You can try the Motionblur Test from Kegetys, but it's not really the proper way to do this, and personally it just makes me motion sick.
Quote from danowat :Not the sort seen in NFS etc, but some motion blurring on things like wheels etc.

I notice this alot when watching slo-mo replays, the way the tyre decals and wheel spokes look when spinning isn't really very nice, maybe a "blurred" texture for a spinning wheel/tyre, or some motion blurring added to these parts.

+1, it would enhance immersion in the SS cars for sure. Replays would also be much better. I think the only place it's really needed is the wheels.
Quote from AndroidXP :You can try the Motionblur Test from Kegetys, but it's not really the proper way to do this

It is the proper way, the way NFS etc. games do it is wrong (by blending the new frame over the previous one). For it to work properly though the FPS would need to be very high (think something like 200-1000fps maybe), and since LFS has an FPS limit of 100 it wont ever work very well.
i have noticed if you have a high enough FPS then your eyes do it automatically, however LFS DOES need some form, i still think Racing Legends has the best way of doing it (which other games such as GT4 do it the same way)

which; the easy way to do it, is take a 3d program, let it do all the calculations that you want (that way you can control speed; whereas if you used photoshop, then you just have some random value which doesn't compare to a speed), then take the render, and use it as a texture

for tires (tread and sidewall), just the blur itself is needed, and then for the spokes, instead of having a spoke desig, it becomes a full "conic" cylinder of the same shape of the outside face, and then use the rendered picture as a texture, with an alpha layer so you can see through

if anyone wants, i could quickly and easily do a mockup of what it would look like if you dont understand
I've always thought that Racing Legends' example looks great.

I would like to see an LFS mockup with your mad rendering skillz!11!

One from the FOX cockpit and one external would be cool. Maybe it would be motivating for certain people to see
Quote from Kegetys :It is the proper way, the way NFS etc. games do it is wrong (by blending the new frame over the previous one). For it to work properly though the FPS would need to be very high (think something like 200-1000fps maybe), and since LFS has an FPS limit of 100 it wont ever work very well.

That's what I meant really You'd need very many frames to get a good source for mixing data, so fast moving objects get blurred properly. If you have two frames of the tyre where on one the decal points upwards and on the next frame it points already downwards, then there's not much you can do with the blurring.
#11 - Vain
Would a pixel shader program work properly if it used 3 pictures to calculate blurr?
Of course the GPU utilization of quadratically 'interpolating' three 1280x1024 images is insane, but I'm just wondering wether it'd work. ('interpolating' is used due to lack of a better word for the process of quadratically approximating the direction of movement of each bit and calculating the resulting image that should show the blurred image of the scene at the time of frame two, as it changes from frame one to three)
Have the shader program store a buffer of frames, wait for three images to have reached the buffer, quadratically approximate the correct blurred image, draw it, remove the last frame in the buffer, push the other two through, add the newest sharp buffer image on top, interpolate, remove, push, add, interpolate, etc.

Vain
#12 - CSU1
Quote from AndroidXP :That's what I meant really You'd need very many frames to get a good source for mixing data, so fast moving objects get blurred properly. If you have two frames of the tyre where on one the decal points upwards and on the next frame it points already downwards, then there's not much you can do with the blurring.

Yeah, but as danowat said "blurry", smoke is blurry
sO y cant we have like smoke in der,data mixing
Wheel blurring is easy. but seeing as LFS uses real time rendered wheels, it would not be as easy.

all you need is 3 wheel models, each using a different blurred texture. 1 for slow speeds (Using the wheel spokes), then a further 2, replacing the spokes with a "Dish". one using a slightly blurred texture, and one using a fully blurred texture.

people using "Racer", have been doing it that way for years and its very effective.
#14 - Vain
Another idea:
How about drawing a 2d blurred spokes texture over the 3d spokes model?
What you basically do is take the rim and glue a flat invisible plate over it. The invisble plate has the texture of the blurred rim on it, but with 100% alpha. The faster the car moves the less alpha is applied and step by step the rim appears to be blurred as the texture over it becomes visible. But if you drive slowly you get the normal 3d model of a rim that looks fine in all perspectives.
The system would of course also work with a several textures which blend into each other for a more detailed blurring effect.

Vain
When I play late on a Friday night after a bottle of vino everything is blurred whether I'm moving or not lol
Quote from Gentlefoot :When I play late on a Friday night after a bottle of vino everything is blurred whether I'm moving or not lol

true, true. I thought it was wine? or vain? I don't remember

The road near the car could be also blured. In open wheelers you can see much of the road I think
#17 - Vain
Quote from pasibrzuch :true, true. I thought it was wine? or vain?

While it is true that I am sometimes drunken, that doesn't mean I get drunken by anyone else!

Vain
Quote from pasibrzuch :true, true. I thought it was wine? or vain? I don't remember

The road near the car could be also blured. In open wheelers you can see much of the road I think

Non-english word for wine that people sometimes use, I've only ever heard it used in A Clockwork Orange though. You're confusing the non-native english speakers.
Quote from rcpilot :Non-english word for wine that people sometimes use, I've only ever heard it used in A Clockwork Orange though. You're confusing the non-native english speakers.

Yes, us Londoner's use the word quite often however it is in fact the Italian word for wine.
#20 - CSU1
Quote from Vain :Another idea:
How about drawing a 2d blurred spokes texture over the 3d spokes model?
What you basically do is take the rim and glue a flat invisible plate over it. The invisble plate has the texture of the blurred rim on it, but with 100% alpha. The faster the car moves the less alpha is applied and step by step the rim appears to be blurred as the texture over it becomes visible. But if you drive slowly you get the normal 3d model of a rim that looks fine in all perspectives.
The system would of course also work with a several textures which blend into each other for a more detailed blurring effect.

Vain

Ok, this is a **cking cool idea, how would we go about glueing alpha's and what not???
lol what he said is basically what i said, and thats how most games do it; even GPL did it that way
#22 - Vain
@XCNuse: No.
Let's sum it up:
At low speeds: Same as now, 3d rims.
At high speeds: Same as GPL, 2D blurred rim texture.
In between: Decrease transparency of the 2d blurred texture with increasing rotational velocity of the wheel.

Advantage: Correctly looking rims from all perspectives at stand still. But nicely blurred rims at high velocities where you don't notice the 3d structure of the rim anyway. That's the difference to the GPL method.

Vain
i know thats... how they are lol, its 3d at low speeds, and then as you go up, a texture replaces it and depending on how fast it goes, the amount of blur is also visible due to another texture

thats.. how games do it, its the best and easiest and actually.. correct looking way to do it (majority of times its correct looking, unless.. your looking for its imperfections of course)

usually using the same blur but changing alpha layers just looks weird, because an object looks different depending on how fast its spinning; not.. the same, just more transparent or not
#24 - 50-3
Quote from danowat :Not the sort seen in NFS etc, but some motion blurring on things like wheels etc.

/Slap. if u want motion blur take down a bottle of smirnoff and the screen will go blurry for u.
Alcoholic option was suggested, if you read more than 1st post

Motion blurring.
(26 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG