The online racing simulator
reflections
(23 posts, started )
reflections

Pictured here, I'm spying on my good griend and top skinner, TeazR, in a very nice little XFG skin going round South City far quicker than I can manage.
The reflection in the rear window is of a nice scene by the edge of a river, there's long grass in the front with what looks like a wide river or lake then some grain silos (or are they missiles under construction?)in the background.
What we should be seeing here is the reflection of shopfronts, signs, traffic lights and office buildings. Can we get different, specific reflection maps to better suit each circuit environment?

Oh, and is that the Nurby track on the tailgate of TeazR's car?
#2 - bbman
Yes to environment mapping on the cars... And yes again, it is most certainly the Nordschleife...
Are you using custom reflections?
Quote from Bob Smith :Are you using custom reflections?

Well I think a high-res reflection that is almost vertical for the horizon is definitely "custom" :doh:

I agree to the suggestion though. Shouldn't be hard to make a reflection mapping for each track environment.
As long as the environment map has both South city video and JD steakhouse on it, there are practacally those on every corner!
Quote from al heeley :Oh, and is that the Nurby track on the tailgate of TeazR's car?

Yep. Is it some kind of bumper sticker? ("Honk if you want the Ring added to LFS")
I think that a seperate environment map per track would help, I think at the moment there is just one environment map shared by all tracks, could be wrong though.

Dan,
No you are right dan, but aren't there different ones for the different weathers, or is it just one for everything?
Yes-this is a custom higher gloss reflection map d/loaded from the forum.
Yet another super high quality hires custom reflection ....

made by some amateur. I always was affraid of a so called mod scene. Selfmade men without any kind of proper education. And this is what we get. ..hey, confused? Another selfmade man maybe? illepall
You seem to have wandered o/t Ray. The point is regardless of which reflection I choose to use, or who made them, it would be good to have them reflect the different circuits/weathers. This reflection just looks silly when you drive round South City.
+1 for "proper" (i.e. per track) environment maps.

@ Al, I believe different weather conditions already have seperate environment maps.
+1 for real mapping a la GT4...

'Puts on flame-resistant suit'
Quote from Blaeza :+1 for real mapping a la GT4...

'Puts on flame-resistant suit'

:feedtroll

(attention seeker )
Quote from al heeley :You seem to have wandered o/t Ray. The point is regardless of which reflection I choose to use, or who made them, it would be good to have them reflect the different circuits/weathers. This reflection just looks silly when you drive round South City.

Yes, but obviously that custom reflection is broken. The reflection on the back, even if containing the wrong image, should be rotated 90° to the left...
GT4 is STILL a good-looking game, even if it does handle like crap...
Quote from various people, repeatedly :the reflection is wrong

Quote from AndroidXP :Yes, but obviously that custom reflection is broken. The reflection on the back, even if containing the wrong image, should be rotated 90° to the left...

When i was watching Teazr's car from the back view, going round the hairpin the reflection horizon rotated from 30 degrees right over the top to about 120 degrees (tilted and upside down). Now that shouldn't happen!
#18 - Don
i think there is different envmap for each sky (and some tracks share skies, so..)
Quote from al heeley :When i was watching Teazr's car from the back view, going round the hairpin the reflection horizon rotated from 30 degrees right over the top to about 120 degrees (tilted and upside down). Now that shouldn't happen!

IIRC the original "reflections" are just a generic skydome mapped to the model, so using anything that features a horizon of sorts will likely go wrong.
Quote from al heeley :You seem to have wandered o/t Ray. The point is regardless of which reflection I choose to use, or who made them, it would be good to have them reflect the different circuits/weathers. This reflection just looks silly when you drive round South City.

Sorry I just coudln't resist

And yea you are right in your point, +1 for special SouthCity enviro dome.
There is an environment map for each sky. And as almost every track has it's own sky, you can also make environment maps for the specific track. If it's not so hard, why don't you do it?

The problem is, that if you put e.g. skyscrapers on the South City environment map it will look silly, because the skyscrapers on the car won't move. It's the same for other objects, like trees on Blackwood. That's why all original environment maps don't have such large objects on it, so you cannot see that it's not real dynamic environment mapping (which is technically possible, for example GP4 from 2002 already had it) but just a static image.
Have you guys seen this thread?

I've not yet tried v3, but I've used v2 for a long time now. The "real" reflections aren't exactly what you see but for most tracks are pretty close. And the "nice" ones are very stylish.
These are the ones I am using on my PC. They make the car look shinier, maybe higher gamma on the reflection texture, but it's the subject matter in the reflectionm that is wrong, together with the crazy alignment.

reflections
(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG