The online racing simulator
F-witted AI drivers
(18 posts, started )
F-witted AI drivers
Just finished the whole suite of training on LFS, and have concluded the AI drivers are all stupid. You can pass them nice and cleanly and be off up the track, brake slightly early for the next corner and they ram into you! To add insult to injury, the game then says you ran into them! Is this going to be improved/corrected in an upcoming version of the game?
One other thing, changing views from cockpit. I seem to remember in the dim & distant past when I first got LFS I could change the driver viewpoint
so I was almost sitting on the bonnet. Now all I can get is the in-cockpit view and the no-bodywork-with-exposed-wheels look. Can anyone point out how I customise my point of view (in the game I mean ).
p.s. LFS is THE best racesim ever!
Quote from Browser :Is this going to be improved/corrected in an upcoming version of the game?

Yes, hopefully in the next incompatible patch (expected to be W) and definately before S2 is considered final.

Quote from Browser :Can anyone point out how I customise my point of view (in the game I mean ).

Yes. From the options menu, choose View, look for "Default driver view" and click custom. Then play with the position sliders.
While I agree and indeed understand your point about AI drivers I still say why bother with them at all - go on line where the real driving is and the the AI's drive away on their own.

But like I say you are right and it would be "nice" if fixed
Quote from vanirl :While I agree and indeed understand your point about AI drivers I still say why bother with them at all - go on line where the real driving is and the the AI's drive away on their own.

Why bother? Because the combo I want is not on/because I'm tired of the same old combos/etc.
AI Drivers could be quite helpful practicing for a league race if noone is online on that trac/car combo but the only thing is is that their just plain stuppid and slow
sure online is better but still I mean like you never just want to practice without any other wreckers somtimes, even thoough ATM online radcing is better to learn right now :P
#6 - nihil
Although LFS is primarily aimed at online play, I think the AI is something that should be addressed. It's funny that everyone here is so keen to see clean racing online, yet the AI are probably the dirtiest I've ever come across. I mean, GPL ai is aggressive, but these geezer's... they're just rude!

Consider this: before anyone goes online, they're going to begin learning their racecraft against the AI...

You'll quickly outgrow the AI in any sim, but for the moment, in LFS you'll still get some interesting races with the slower cars on the twistier tracks. Just don't bother qualifying and start from the very back of the grid.
Quote from nihil :Consider this: before anyone goes online, they're going to begin learning their racecraft against the AI...

I dont think so. I personally wouldnt. I would want to get racing with real people right from the beginning and wouldnt want to deal with AI. Doesnt matter, if they are good or bad.

And seeing public servers, you get the impression, that many, many people think so.
I agree with nihill, AI is really needing sorting for us newbs to practice with!!!

i commend your bravery zeugnimod, because whenever i join a server, and make a mistake, it's vote, vote, vote, banned before I've even had a chance to say sorry (or even WTF when it's not my fault) illepall

as things stand, the worst thing i did was pay 24 quid for S2 (after all, i am entitled to my opinion:arge

:tempted:
it may be just me who thinks this, but there seems to be a real "jekle & Hyde" thing going on here . Of all the forums that i follow, u guys here seem to be the most helpfull, the quickest to reply and generally the most freindliest i think i have ever seen in an online comunity.....but ingame, a complete contrast (not pointing any fingers btw )

suffice to say, i didn't pay £24 to hang around a forum!!! :ices_rofl

AI IS IMPORTANT = for ALL noobs (ME included, lol)

I really think sometimes ppl forget sometimes what it is like to be a newbie

Maybe i just got the rough end of the stick, but my S2 experience was just horrible, no newbie servers or any servers that i could find that were even prepared to help me learn ( wot is worse, i thought i was quite a curtious, average driver.... )
......what i found was testostorone, flame flame, more testostorone, you get the idea.

i'm a nice guy really, i don't usually say much but i do love to race, and maybe theres a decent server out there that i missed (haven't played in months but would love too) but i will retry LFS online when the AI is inproved and i can start practicing again.

Truthfully this "vote, vote, ban" doesn't do the ego of *any* newcomers absolutely any good at all :grumpy:

anyways, merry Cristmas all (i do love yawl & LFS really!! lol)

QD

:soapbox: = OFF
Nice post quackdougal^^ when I host I turn off votes for that reason, people get all crazy with the kicks and bans.

If you don't use the AI then you can't really come in here and say "AI is dumb we don't need it".....I never drive the MRT5 , however I don't say "get rid of the MRT5!, it's pointless anyways!"

All we are asking for is to have AI (we use them ok?) that dosn't ass-ram you every time you head into a corner in front..lol
I think there should be an easily-adjustable AI Strength slider too. Even on the highest level it is easy to be 15+ seconds faster than the AI pack after the first lap, starting from the back row. AI braking points are unpredictable and dangerous, so racing with them at all is impossible. If we could manually adjust the strength on-the-fly we could more closely match our own pace and increase the immersion, which is what AI racing sorely lacks but multiplayer has in spades.
I'd also like to see improved AI. I super like LFS' AI because they actually drive the same cars as we do. I would like to see them learn more and so they also get used to your driving. And quicker.

What would be funny is if we were able to train our AIs and share them with others "look, mine is damn good at outside passes"

- ben
#12 - Gunn
We already know that the AI will be improved so now we can all stop wishing for it to happen.

And for those who don't know already, the current AI will improve quite a lot if you allow them to practice. They are individual though, the ones that get the most practice will be faster than those who don't practice. Train them in your favourite car/track combo, fill them up with fuel, give them a decent set to use and let them go to it. They still won't be ideal racers but they do get better.
If you ask me, I think that the player should be required to go through the training course in order to compete online. This raises the need for better and more predictable AI to race with. just my 2 yen...
Quote from Gunn :give them a decent set to use and let them go to it.

Does the AI use the setup currently used by the player car? Whenever I've tried to give the AI individual setups by clicking on the garage, the AI car jumps out and I'm left looking at my own vehicle in the garage...
#15 - Gunn
Quote from nihil :Does the AI use the setup currently used by the player car? Whenever I've tried to give the AI individual setups by clicking on the garage, the AI car jumps out and I'm left looking at my own vehicle in the garage...

You can choose to let them use yours, or you can give them one of their own. The option is available called "AI use player setup" (to let them use yours). Choose a set for the AI, add your AI, then choose a set for yourself and join.

*edit, I'm not sure I explained that very well, but you should be able to work it out in-game.
Quote from benja-man :What would be funny is if we were able to train our AIs and share them with others "look, mine is damn good at outside passes"

The AI "knowledge" is stored in ".knw" files. I think you can send that to a mate, so he'll have a trained AI driver instantly. But if you want to really create AI drivers to race against each other: TORCS was made especially for that.

Quote from Gunn :Train them in your favourite car/track combo, fill them up with fuel, give them a decent set to use and let them go to it. They still won't be ideal racers but they do get better.

Hmmm...

Mine have "learned" to go onto the grass at corner exit. In the first lap they stay on the tarmac, but they seem to press the throttle a bit earlier each lap. Eventually they spin out on the grass, and they stubbornly repeat it. Apparently, there's no AI rule that tells them it's a bad idea. (Absolutely Incompetent, yes.)
Quote from Mike85 :The AI get faster after 60 laps of a track. So just turn on a AI-only race and let it go for 60 laps. You will see that they become much faster. Its learnable AI. Then I think they are more easier to drive with. At the start they are VERY slow, but they are not always like that.

When you yourself drive a lot of laps you will also become quicker - usually so much that racing the AI is not challenging.
They should have an AI called Race Pro because Pros keep on drifting

F-witted AI drivers
(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG