The online racing simulator
New Graphiccard for LFS s2 ATI or Nvidia?
does someone have the 7800GT or GTX and playing LFS?
What is about the picture quality? Especially AA + AF?
Whats about the FPS?
Which Driver is the best? ATi and Nvidia ones

Same Questions for a ATI X850xt or 800XL

With my system i have at last place in start (with 7 KI opponents) 50-55 Fps
at race 60- 85 Fps,with all Details on at 1024x768 4xAA 8xAA, but with mirrors on i feel sometime like its getting a little bit stuttering.......

My System:
AMD 64 3200+ S754
1024 Singlechannel Ram
9800 Pro His ice Q
Audigy LS
Win XP
#2 - OPK
You won´t gain much by a new gfx card, the 9800 has enough power.
A faster CPU would give you a much higher FPS rate.

Anyway, I´d always choose Ati, because nVidia uses AF optimizations which you can´t turn off.
I'd bet that a newer card than you already have wouldn't change anything in FPS. The 9800 is very well able to handle LFS' needs, but a newer CPU would do the trick.

For example my system: I have a 3200+ and a 6600 GT. Running the game on 1024x786 with nothing on has the same framerate as 1600x1200 with 8xAA and 16xAF. That means that my CPU is clearly the limiting factor.
AMD 64 4000+ here with a 7800 GT

Running everything maxed out with max AA and AF, locked at 71 fps. I love my system
ahh,thats very good to know, so LFS is cpu limited, but is my A64 3200+ to "slow"?
and i cant believe really that a much faster graphiccard than mine, doesnt makes the game run a little bit smoother...but if you people say this,then there must be something true...............

So somebody maybe changed from a 64 3200+ to some faster one CPU?
How many more Fps do you get now in LFS, paired with an older graphiccard?
Quote from mooneye :ahh,thats very good to know, so LFS is cpu limited, but is my A64 3200+ to "slow"?
and i cant believe really that a much faster graphiccard than mine, doesnt makes the game run a little bit smoother...but if you people say this,then there must be something true...............

So somebody maybe changed from a 64 3200+ to some faster one CPU?
How many more Fps do you get now in LFS, paired with an older graphiccard?

Man, I wish I had your CPU.

Only an Athlon XP 3000+ here (Barton core) with a 6800GT 128MB. You might pick up a few fps with a better card as a result of having AA and AF on, but the most I would spend is about $150 USD for something like a 6600GT. I believe the comparable ATI card is the X700 Pro but, according to AnandTech, the 6600GT is the stronger card. Obviously, ignore the prices in that article as it was written late last year.
Hi,

Well I'm sort of having the same problem here. here are my specs

- 3700+ s754 (the socket is maxed out)
- 1024 mb ram
- 9800 pro flashed to an XT (Zalman cooled)
- 1280 x 1024 with full details, mirrors, etc. (got to use this resolution cause I'm using a Samsung 913N TFT screen)

while running, say for instance, South City with one car on 2x AA and 2x AF i get between 100 - 120 FPS, but with 4x AA and 8x AF the average framerate drops to about 75-85 FPS.

So I'm wondering if I should also consider buying a new videocard. The asus radeon aX800 XT PE is on sale here in the Netherlands for 249 euro's.

Everything runs smoother with 1024 x 768 but this won't give me the crispness in screen quality while using the Samsung screen.

I'm afraid with my system the weakest link is the ATI 9800 PRO/XT. But than again if you check the unofficial LFS benchmark site I'm still on top!

Bye all
everything above 30 fps is enough anyways.
everything under 60fps in unplayable :P
Well, I wouldn't say <60 fps is unplayable, but 30 is certainly much below optimum. I wonder when the "humans can only see 25fps" myth will finally die...
Quote from AndroidXP :Well, I wouldn't say <60 fps is unplayable, but 30 is certainly much below optimum. I wonder when the "humans can only see 25fps" myth will finally die...

He, you got something wrong there. The human eye has nothing like "fps" as not all the sensor-cells have to recover the same time... (well, that is the best briefexplanation I can gather with my english skills )

And concerning the 25 fps: It is not what you can see, but it is about the minimum for your brain to see it as a motion, and not a set of images following each other...
Quote from ORION :everything under 60fps in unplayable :P

I have always wondered why I am so much slower then the rest...
(25-30 fps)

/Tooby
#14 - tpa
Quote from ORION :everything under 60fps in unplayable :P

whatever...

I have limited my fps to 60 anyway as my flatscreen is running at 60Hz (could set it to 75Hz but 60 is absolutly fine). Runs smooth like butter.

My gfx card is X850 XT and the image quality is superb! Don't know about the 7800 GTX....
The human eye CAN spot a difference even between 80 and 100 fps, but you must watch out for that. If you are just looking on the screen, 60fps is ok. Everything below is noticed as unsmooth though.
Often you will not notice unsmoothness, but you eye will, because it hurts after many hours of playing, even at 85Hz.
It's much better at 100Hz.
I would say everything below 75Hz refresh rate and 50 fps is definetely NOT GOOD for your eyes.
I went from a Ati 9700 pro to a Evga 6800 to play Battlefield 2. Imust say im not dissapointed. I was unlock extra pipes and shaders i also over clocked the card to 6800gt numbers. i purchased the card from Newegg for under $200.00 dollars.
#17 - tpa
Quote from ORION :
I would say everything below 75Hz refresh rate and 50 fps is definetely NOT GOOD for your eyes.

That may be true for a CRT but not TFT
Quote :does someone have the 7800GT or GTX and playing LFS?
What is about the picture quality? Especially AA + AF?

Will have tommorow if everything went well (7800gtx) I'm very optimistic that the two new antialiasing modes "Transparency Adaptive Multisampling" & "Transparency Adaptive Supersampling" will improve image quality over my 850xt. Particularly the chain link fences in lfs.

http://www.siliconfactor.com/article.php?aid=9&page=5

Edit:
Changed my 850xt vs. 7800gtx today Will posts some screenies later, unfortunality i forgot to make some screenshots with my 850xt to compare.
ok ,tell us how the image quality will be with your GTX its very interesting.......and which Driver you use, and whats about the Anisotropic filtering?
Good or flickering textures?
#20 - tpa
yea, looking forward to those shots, mos. I can post X850 shots for comparison
jeez.... someones game will look nice...

i am still on a radeon 9800pro though lfs runs smoothly with 4aa and 8af
I'm a bit late but here are some pics
1280x1024 8xAA 16XAF , Supersampling

Supersampling shows some problems with Lfs, i have to enable simple wheels
in Lfs or i get grafic errors on cars. Using driver 78.01 didnt try others so far.

One thing that still looks ugly is how textures in distance change their lod. And there are some textures looks like they need even more AA. Like in pic 3.
Attached images
7800_1.jpg
7800_2.jpg
7800_3.jpg
hi, nice pics ,but the 3. isnt so well, the rails go flickering in motion,isnt it?

Maybe you can try the NVIDIA Beta driver 78.03, because on that one the flickering problem should be fixed....maybe
please tell me if you tried it with this one..............
I play LFS on my Laptop at 1920x1200, 4x AA, 16x AF.

If it's just me on the track I get 91fps.

Dell Inspiron XPS gen 2
2.0 Pentium M
NVIDIA 6800go Ultra @ 485/1250

See attachments for my screenshots
Attached images
lfs1.jpg
lfs2.jpg
mooneye ,

no the flickering of that one texture isn't very noticeable. It looks the same with 78.03 drivers, no wonder the driver can't "fix" the texture

I would like to see some x850 screens, because i dont know if the transparent windows in LFS looks better with my 7800 or its just imagination

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG