The online racing simulator
A real life track?
(54 posts, started )
#1 - ppmz
A real life track?
Hi guys,

I understand why LFS can't use "real" cars, they're a brand name and you'd need permission.

But how about "real" tracks? Especially street circuits, they're just public roads.
I live in Melbourne, so just lend me a GPS unit and I'll go drive and map out Albert Park for you
#2 - aoun
I would like that aswell, people will be familiar with their own place.. but its not up to me . Mabye going over the harbour bridge over here, 100% everyone would love that sunset in the bf1 .
i would like monza
Hmm, maybe u need permission for that too? If u want totally real-life driving, TestDrive Unlimited's the best. Other than that, its interesting that besides TDU not many other games use real-life tracks (Correct me if im wrong)
Quote from ppmz :Hi guys,

I understand why LFS can't use "real" cars, they're a brand name and you'd need permission.

But how about "real" tracks? Especially street circuits, they're just public roads.
I live in Melbourne, so just lend me a GPS unit and I'll go drive and map out Albert Park for you

tracks are licensed too, so you need money for that too...
#6 - ppmz
Purpose built race tracks are licensed, because they're usually owned by a company and run as a business. I don't think city streets are though. You can copyright data, but not information.
Many people spend many money on LFS, why don't LFS give more to me?
They are busy with making improvements.
Quote from scania :Many people spend many money on LFS, why don't LFS give more to me?

No one promised you real tracks when you bought LFS, to have contact with the devs on this forum doesn't mean you can demand anything. You can ask, or suggestm but not demand

I would love to have real tracks in LFS also, Eric's tracks are great, everyone knows, but a real track has something, don't ask me what exactly, but it has something. FZR on Spa anyone?

But tracks cost money, license things suck BTW, anyone knows how many cost a track license? I don't have a clue.
Quote from scania :Many people spend many money on LFS, why don't LFS give more to me?

LFS is probably one of the cheapest games on the market and it never ages.

GTR, do you excpect SimBin to actually do anything more to it? Nah they slapped some new cars in the game and a few little extras, slapped a 2 in front of it and charged another £35/40.

How much more do you want? Devs working there socks off adding new features and extra goodies. Not just fixing bugs like most other companies out there will do in the one and only patch they release.

Real tracks would be nice but what we have now is more than good enough. Racing is racing.
nurburgring would be nice
The sauber is a real car too.

I imagine it's somewhat easier to design an imaginary track than spend lots of time on minutia trying to simulate a real life track accurately.

I would rather have lots of imaginary tracks than a few real life tracks.
Lets not forget the MRT5 either.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
isn't blackwood a real life race track?
Quote from HondaCivicSI :isn't blackwood a real life race track?

No. illepall

If LFS had a real life city environment, most R/L city tracks suck. So what about a track set in ... Milton Keynes?
You couldnt set a track in milton keynes, everyone would be confused by the one-way systems, and a 1 mile lap would take about an hour coz of the traffic!

Tracks have licenses as well as cars, introducing real tracks to LFS will cost money. Lots of it I would imagine. We have seen the arrival of the BMW Sauber and the Raceabout, maybe someday more real life cars/tracks will be added, who knows?

PS That was a stupid question, Scawen Eric and Victor know
Hi Guys!

This is not exaclty the theme of that tread, but I think i should write it down here:

Some of u know me from the old S1 times, when we got no Car-damage. LFS is the only racing-sim, that satisfied me longer than 2 month.
I have driven more than 222000 (but don´t ask me if it is miles or km) online and i think there is no square meter LFS-asphalt, i have not touched with my rubbers.

I think the work of our devs is one of the best which the e-motorsportscene has ever seen before.

BUT: I wanna have more Tracks - some smalls for the mrt and wider roads like Westhill for the BF1!
I wanna drive though tunnels, in higher reaches of the alps and along beach and ports.

I know that it is too much work for 3 (2) programmers and i heared some years ago a rumor, our devs will publish a track editor in remote future - maybe.

By the way, I think we have not many but im sure some guys in our great comunity with experience in track designing. And I wish scaven would surprice us with a Editor-release on Christmass - earlier than netkar!

I know there would be many problems to manage this.

To beware our comutity for a spam of buggy and unfinished tracks there should be a monthly Trackdevelopercompetition and the best should be accept as an official track on LFSworld after an overwork.
Only the best or on bugs proofed tracks should be playable online. It´s also an guard agains track licences!

I know - it´s not exaclty the subject of the tread - but we all want more tracks and thats in my opinion the easiest way to get much more than some tracks as fast as possible
I wouldn't mind one or two real life city tracks that aren't being used at the moment. For instance there's places in Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham, London, etc. and that's just in Britain. AFAIK these tracks wouldn't cost any money to put in the game, just time. I guess that's why we don't have them in the game, time.

BTW, I'm not expecting any of this anytime soon, I know we probably won't get any more tracks for at least a year, just giving suggestions.
Quote from Leifde :I wouldn't mind one or two real life city tracks that aren't being used at the moment. For instance there's places in Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham, London, etc. and that's just in Britain. AFAIK these tracks wouldn't cost any money to put in the game, just time. I guess that's why we don't have them in the game, time.

There was a plan in the late 60's to have a Grand Prix on the streets of London - in fact, it very nearly happened.

It was planned to be a figure of eight, but rather long and with some long straights but some insanely slow sections as well. Like Hockenhiem, but a street circuit. It was about 10km long. There's a map on the backup of racingcircuits.net , but that's down at the moment.

The Birmingham superprix was an interesting idea, but the f*cking ressies complained. The corner names also changed every week
some real track in finland
Quote from Drifter[fin] :some real track in finland

Are there any that are even FIA Grade 2 licenced in Finland? I imagine any race would have to be done slap bang in the middle of the summer as it would be too cold or something

There was talk of an Icelandic round of A1, but that would need to either start or end the A1 season.
Quote from Sticky-Micky :nurburgring would be nice

Amen.

Mabey Nurburgring, Laguna Seca, and Tsukuba circuit could be included in S3? Three of the most popular race tracks. I love them all
hmmm... Tsukuba, Laguna Seca, and Nurburgring....

Alex, What are three courses that you only know about because of gran turismo 4?

(those of you who get the joke, thank you, those who dont... dont)
I'm counting down the seconds until a mod closes this thread.
My money's on Bob
But until that happens, I'm going to help out. Here is the sticky improvement suggestions log, where you can find almost everything that's ever been suggested - including countless requests for real stuff. Here is the last discussion about the 'Ring, and here is a week old thread discussing real life tracks.

Search is your friend.

A real life track?
(54 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG