The online racing simulator
Fastest?? 1gb, 2x512, or 4x256mb DDR RAM?
The title says it all... just wondering what would be the best for me to do... I want atleast 1gb memory, and I have 4 slots for DDR memory. My mobo says it can take 3200 series 400 speed DDR. What would be best for me?
1gb, 2x512, or 4x256mb DDR RAM?

Thanks,

Shrubba
1 x 1gb.

Later on down the track you can get another 1gb stick (if you play BF:2 or anything else that needs more ram) and you should be able to run them in dual channel mode... aslong as they're the same brand etc.
Well what is the maximum your motherboard can handle? If it can only handle 1gb, then the cheapest option of buying 4x256mb chips is the way to go. But buying one full chip of 1gb is fine also --- but it depends what costs more where you are buying this from.

And AFAIK, Windows XP only supports up to 4gb of memory, so if you want to keep getting a 1gb stick here and there and fill all 4 slots, that is going to max it out. But again, your motherboard can only support so much. It might only support 2gb, but look into this. If it supports a lot more than 1gb, get the 1gb stick and like InsaneJeff said, upgrade with another stick later on if you want.
#4 - Gunn
If it's a dual channel setup won't 2 x 512 be more efficient than 1 x 1Gb?
#5 - kaynd
If its a dual channel Α64 ,p4 based system , 2*512 would be a faster combination than 1*1gb

But 1*1gb memory module will give you the chance to easily upgrade your system to 2gb dual channel…

In many cases compatibility problems show up, when all the memory slots are used because of the different manufacturer and/or type of the memory modules, so it is better to use as less memory modules as possible.
#6 - dadge
i have 2x512 and 2x 256mb and running in duel channel mode, i would say to try to pair your memory, because not only does the ram run better like this but also if i had 1x1gb and it failed i would have no ram to use while i was waiting for new stuff. but paired i can still have at least half of my current ram if any one module failed
Thanks, I think this helps out... I think I will go with 2x512. As my mobo can handle 4gb, or 2 'sets' of dual memory, total of 4 slots... and I currently have 2x256 mb cards, and some mis-matched 512 cards in there, both sets of which are only 133mhz so sad. So I am going to get a nice dual 512 memory set, and replace my mismatched 512 set (which then I'll use at work). So I would have a total of 1.5gb ram (2x512 and 2x256) both running in dual mode.

Thanks for your help!!

Shrubba
#8 - Eggi
Ok, im gonna do it short:

1. the 1Gb Ram got a latency of 3CL² (if you find a 2,5er, send me the Link plz
2. 512MB got mostly 2,5CL² (2,0 only in 100Mhz mode or they a fu***ng expensive)
3. 256MB mostly 2,0CL² (Like Kingston)
4. lower CL = faster read/writing the memory
5. DualChannel mode = much more faster

²= (CL = CAS Latency)
1gb sticks can run faster than CAS3, generally the "value" stuff is CAS3, but the more up-market stuff is CAS2-2.5. But the CAS rating isnt gonna make much difference to him, the only real difference you'll see if a couple of seconds faster loading times (if you're lucky) and some extra points in benchmarks.

Personally i'd go for quantity (more mb's) over speed (CAS rating and timings), cause the difference isnt gonna be that noticeable.

Quote :I currently have 2x256 mb cards, and some mis-matched 512 cards in there, both sets of which are only 133mhz so sad. So I am going to get a nice dual 512 memory set, and replace my mismatched 512 set (which then I'll use at work). So I would have a total of 1.5gb ram (2x512 and 2x256) both running in dual mode.

Ya might aswell chuck out the 256mb sticks of RAM if their stock speed is 133mhz, cause all they'll do is slow down your new set... thats if it'll even let your computer boot up.
#10 - J.B.
A64 CPU's don't support 200MHz/1T timings with 4 RAM sticks, only with two.
Quote from Eggi :Ok, im gonna do it short:

1. the 1Gb Ram got a latency of 3CL² (if you find a 2,5er, send me the Link plz
2. 512MB got mostly 2,5CL² (2,0 only in 100Mhz mode or they a fu***ng expensive)
3. 256MB mostly 2,0CL² (Like Kingston)

Where in the world did you got that from??
Or does the smiley mean you were j/k?

Try google with:
1 GB DDR-RAM, PC400, MDT, CL2,5

I never had problems to find 1GB with CL2,5
It's not mostly CL3 or CL2,5 it just depends on what you want to pay for it.
Truth is that most stores offer/sell the cheaper (slower stuff)
#12 - Eggi
Quote from BBO@BSR :I never had problems to find 1GB with CL2,5
It's not mostly CL3 or CL2,5 it just depends on what you want to pay for it.
Truth is that most stores offer/sell the cheaper (slower stuff)

Thats what i mean.
I never found a 2,5er wich is cheaper then 2x 512@2,5.
I think that 2x512 mb ram is more faster than 1x1gb...if u put it to "dual"
I was wondering if using 4 sticks, with 2 being slow 133mhz sticks, and 2 being good fast ones, would slow down my load times. So note to self, buy a good fast dual set of memory, and only use that! I have to say, I only plan on playing just LFS for the next 6 months, so 1gb of memory should be fine. After that time, I will have enough money to buy 2x1gb dual set... so a total of 3gb buy then, and a second 7600GT sli gpu. but untill then, 2x512 of fast memory will be better than what I currently use, and plenty for LFS.

Shrubba
Quote from shrubba :I was wondering if using 4 sticks, with 2 being slow 133mhz sticks, and 2 being good fast ones, would slow down my load times. So note to self, buy a good fast dual set of memory, and only use that! I have to say, I only plan on playing just LFS for the next 6 months, so 1gb of memory should be fine. After that time, I will have enough money to buy 2x1gb dual set... so a total of 3gb buy then, and a second 7600GT sli gpu. but untill then, 2x512 of fast memory will be better than what I currently use, and plenty for LFS.

Shrubba

If you use the 133 sticks (DDR266) and stick in two faster sticks (DDR400) the DDR400 sticks will most likely be slowed down to DDR266 speeds, thats if they even work together at all.

And you're wasting your time aiming for 3gb of ram, you'd have no use for it unless you were working with giant spreadsheets, encoding or whatever... there are no games that will utilise 3gb of ram.

2gb is plenty.

And as said above, AMD cpu's dont like running 4 sticks of ram. So in the long run, you'd be better off with 2x1gb sticks. 2x512mb may be faster (although im not convinced) you're not gonna see any difference.
I just ordered this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ ... .asp?Item=N82E16820145450

It's good, i think hehe

Oh, and i also found out that the 2 512 sticks i already have are 333mhz, and also confirmed that my 2 256mg sticks are 133mhz. Now the 256's are the exact same make and model, while the 2 512's are different companys, but still each 333mhz.
Which set, if any, would you suggest leaving with my new corsair set? I heard some where that if the other set is slower, then you should leave it out... or was it if the set isn't 'exactly' the same, leave em' out. I'm confussed...

What do you think?

Shrubba
*sigh* I give up...

You just bought a set of DDR400 ram, and your other fastest set is DDR333, the DRR400 ram you just got, will be slowed down to DDR333 (or worse if you use the other set). You might aswell just use the two new sticks you got and throw out/sell the rest.
Quote from InsaneJeff :*sigh* I give up...

You just bought a set of DDR400 ram, and your other fastest set is DDR333, the DRR400 ram you just got, will be slowed down to DDR333 (or worse if you use the other set). You might aswell just use the two new sticks you got and throw out/sell the rest.

Thanks, that is exactly what I was wondering... if the old stuff would slow me down. Out with the old, in with the new!!!

Shrubba

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG