The online racing simulator
a cure to prevent cutting track
We all know that you can get faster laps if you cut the track in some places. Like As3, before the main straight in the chicane or in BL1 in the T2 or T3 for example.

One thing that is common between these places is that you have to go trough sand or grass to do it. What if this sand or grass would get grooves and holes as you drive through it again and again and again? This would make it harder to use the shortcut as there would be a 20 centimeters (10") deep hole, which could easily break your suspension! Other thing I mentioned some time ago in the RSC forum was that dirt could spread to the track.

Or maybe the effect wouldn't be so huge in short races, but in longer races it would make some difference.

Comments?
Yeah good idea. The lines taken to be fast aren't exactly realistic there (they'd normally ruin your suspension anyways)
but in aston its ok, otherwise there would not be such a big curb and in reality you wont ruin anything there, but on blackwood you are right.
Nah, fill the off track areas full of mines. That'll stop 'em. Make replays cool too.

...well it worked in CoD didn't it?
Just have really big holes covered in sticks. Then put spikes at the bottom. We'd have Prince of Persia (the original) type 'deaths'.
nah just make the gravel traps like the other side of the barriers. If you try and drive on them, you fall through the floor :O
One word...

Snipers.
Just make a brick wall appear out of nowhere. No ones gonna get through that without a scratch.
Little cardboard mums with prams that pop up out of the ground. That'd freak you out.
i would bring back that fern bay grass with the glue.

either that or like a possibility of a puncture due to some foreign object jabbing the tyre.
Quote from Takumi_Project.d :i would bring back that fern bay grass with the glue.

either that or like a possibility of a puncture due to some foreign object jabbing the tyre.

Now thats an idea!! It ties into reality and it solves our problem (although sniping the lil buggers sure would be more fun) It would still be funny to see cutters floundering everywhere with punctured tires
/me ignores the sensible options, and votes for snipers.

What do you think the tall buildings at the far end of blackwood are for? Businesses??? Nah, Snipers.

Or longbowmen. Or crossbows!!!
Several options here.

Alllow everyone to use the shortcuts. LFS is still in development, it will get fixed later.

Try to enforce a no shortcut rule (not too practical).

Eventually LFS could either detect shortcuts and auto-penalize (GPL, GTR do this), or fix the tracks by putting up tire barriers (or somethings harder, since it's a game), just like they do in real life.

Personally, I like the GPL rule that you must have at least two wheels on or inside the curbing (or other track boundary indicator) at all times. For LFS, Blackwood is a track where this rule is violated on a routine basis, but most LFS players accept it as part of the game.
Why not just add tires and barriers to the tracks? Can't you do this in the AutoX editor already?
Well, there are already tyres there, but it was probably a compromise between "making them stay on the track" and "preventing a too high ****up rate on public races". So they removed the ability to cut that corner completely but let in a bit of space to save some crashes. Or maybe it looked silly with a tyre there and Eric removed it
But can't you use the autocross editor to put a tire back in if cutting is a concern? I haven't used it that much, so i'm not sure what the limitations of the editor are, but I think you could just put in a stack of tires, a barricade, etc. Pretty much anything would prevent people from cutting across the ground there.
Having too much tires on the sides just make tracks look bit unreal and silly, increasing suspension damage is the only what could help...or the snipers
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
just raise the kurb hight so that if you clip it you will have a lot to do to keep the car on track......

or maybe just fill them up with spike strips

mad
Attached images
lfscutters.jpg
how is driving through grass or a dirttrap over a rumblestrip a shortcut when it will most likely cause suspension and tire damage, and maybe even a crash? I am new to the s2 tracks but i assume it is the same for all the "shortcuts" on them too?

Have you ever seen a race? people cut corners slightly sometimes. its not unrealistic.

I know how to stop cutting!! rig the cars with bombs strapped to the driverseat. and if the car goes into these cutting areas the bomb goes off.!!
There are some places that you can cut and not get suspension damage ( like the one i showed on the blackwood rally track) or blackwood in the esses with the tires, you can slide right through them, the reward is normaly higher than the risk so people do it, and its ratherannoying
everyone does it so i dont really look at it as a cut, lol.
Quote from DodgeRacer :

prefer this one....

mad
Attached images
Untitled-1.jpg
Quote from Madman_CZ :prefer this one....

mad

bwhaha, yeah both will work too
This could work..
Attached images
Bomb Cutters.jpg

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG