The online racing simulator
Thread about solutions on LFS problems
I think it would be a good idea to add a data bank where you can find solutions to solve problems with hardware or software that are known to produce conflicts with LFS. Many users seems to have certain problems with FPS loss or LFS crashing ( or whatelse) that have their origin in hardware incompatibilities (for example RAM failure) or driver related problems.
Most users find the solution to solve their problems but don't report it. So it would be a big help for others if they can have a checklist what to look for when they have a certain problem. That could also simplify Scawen's work developing the sim when he doesn't get all the mislead posts about incompatibilies where there are none.
It could be collected in a single thread, where users report their solutions.
a forum?
what else ? f.e a forum or shoot box ? what?
How about a whole forum where you have different sections for bug reports, hardware issues, software issues, general issues, even a place to suggest improvements or just shoot the off-topic breeze, precisely so you don't get a single thread that's utterly bursting with every single kind of problem people encounter ... oh, right. I'm standing in it

OK j/k, forgive the sarcasm. It just seems that what you're suggesting already sort of exists
I think it would be a good idea to gather some common problems + solutions e.g. in the lfs wiki. With all those threads around here it's difficult to find the right one.

Maybe the FAQ would be a good place?
http://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/FAQ
I was actually going to do one thread about the common problems (installation, FF, graphics, etc) but after thinking about it decided not to do it. As I see it, the tech side of LFS is best to leave to the devs
Assuming the manual is complete, and therefore tells you how to do everything, what's the point of also having a FAQ?
Because in a FAQ you can easily find the solution to important question. In a manual you have to read through loads of pages first.
Quote from KiDCoDEa :a forum?

Great Idea.
A better one : a forum with a search button
Another better idea : members using this search button
#11 - lyd
Quote from GP4Flo :In a manual you have to read through loads of pages first.

*sound of support professionals around the globe grinding their teeth*

lyd
Its a fair enough idea , probably no need to shoot his idea down in flames

yes yes i,m aware a person armed with the search button/wiki and reading the Tech sub forum can reach the same result.

Now i think of it theres more than enough on the subject as it is
In my opinion Flo is right. If you have a problem with LFS you want to have an answer quick without searching all the threads for your problem. If everybody would do so it's a big waste of time. But all data must be collected somewhere so that you find it without loosing too much time. If you want to spend all your free time searching it's up to you. I want to have a solution as quick as possible. And if all guides to find a quick help is mentioned in the lfs wiki that be even better. But for now I don't find all answers there. The most important thing is that the users find a place where they can sent their solutions so that others don't have to do all that searching again and again.
An example: I have graphic driver xx, chipset driver xx and use software xx and so on and I don't know why my FPS in LFS are so low. There might be another user with exact the same combination who had the same problem. He changed driver xx to another version and the problem is gone for him. If he would know where to sent his solution he would do so to help others. And exactly all this data must be collected to help others.
English is not my mother language but I hope you understand what I want to say.
true !
Quote from p.maishaupt :In my opinion Flo is right. If you have a problem with LFS you want to have an answer quick without searching all the threads for your problem. If everybody would do so it's a big waste of time. But all data must be collected somewhere so that you find it without loosing too much time. If you want to spend all your free time searching it's up to you. I want to have a solution as quick as possible. And if all guides to find a quick help is mentioned in the lfs wiki that be even better. But for now I don't find all answers there. The most important thing is that the users find a place where they can sent their solutions so that others don't have to do all that searching again and again.
An example: I have graphic driver xx, chipset driver xx and use software xx and so on and I don't know why my FPS in LFS are so low. There might be another user with exact the same combination who had the same problem. He changed driver xx to another version and the problem is gone for him. If he would know where to sent his solution he would do so to help others. And exactly all this data must be collected to help others.
English is not my mother language but I hope you understand what I want to say.

i totally agree with you and behind you
Since I'm being a cynical, moody shit (read: realist) today here's my tupence:

The vast majority of people who are experiencing problems do not search for solutions. Having the solutions not only available in the forums, but the wiki and any other media as well, will not signifcantly help.
#18 - Davo
Quote from the_angry_angel :Since I'm being a cynical, moody shit (read: realist) today here's my tupence:

The vast majority of people who are experiencing problems do not search for solutions. Having the solutions not only available in the forums, but the wiki and any other media as well, will not signifcantly help.

lol agreed. The people that would use this new resource can use the other already available resources just as well. The others just start a new thread with "help" as the title
Quote from GP4Flo :Because in a FAQ you can easily find the solution to important question. In a manual you have to read through loads of pages first.

Or, you could search the manual for the keyword(s) you are interested in.

Word or Acrobat documents are searchable.

Someone who doesn't have time for that, as opposed to logging on the forum and reading through a help thread.....will probably be too busy starting a "When is Patch xxx coming out...I know there are 45 other threads, but I don't have time to read them" thread, anyway.
Groupware knowledgebase anyone?
Again, what I want to have is simple. I want to have something like a checklist (or database or whatever you want to call it) to see where my problem could be. But we need the feedback of people who solved their problems.
Example: Some days ago I started LFS in hotlapping mode and I just had 10 fps (for me >70 fps is standard). I installed some software befor that and really didn't know where my fps were gone. In this community there will be others who had the same problem, the same hard- and software. They want to help others because they found the reason for their problem but don't see how they could do it without opening a new thread. And so nothing is done to help others. I found the reason for my fps drop, but again: I won't open a new thread for that and so I can help nobody else......

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG