The online racing simulator
Setting up a Logitech G25
(22 posts, started )
Just received mine today
Had a good look through the g25 threads but never found any definitive set up guides.

So what are the favoured settings for this wheel (with all its numerous options) in windows, Logitech profiler and LFS ?

Overall Effects Strength
Spring Effects Strength
Damper Effect Strength
Enable Centering Spring
Centering Spring Strength
Report Combined Pedals
Degrees of Rotation

Setting in game
Wheel turn
Wheel Turn Compensation
Force Strength
Throttle Brake Axes: Separate
Gear Shift Mode : obviously car dependant/personal preference

Does the amount of rotation change as you pick different cars?
#2 - M.Mos
Overall Effects Strength: personal preference , i prefer 115-125%

Spring Effects Strength: Setting doesn't matter for LFS

Damper Effect Strength:
Setting doesn't matter for LFS

Enable Centering Spring
Centering Spring Strength:

Usaly adviced to keep disabled but try enabled and set to 15-30% it helps to reduce wheel oscillations whitout affecting the ff feeling.

Report Combined Pedals: No, keep them seperate

Degrees of Rotation:
i use 540° for now.

Setting in game: depending on Overall Effects Strength. Higher values in control panel require lower settings in LFS.
You don't want to enable 'centering spring' unless you are playing a game that does not support force feedback. LFS will generate centering forces when they are appropriate via the physics model.

'Combined pedals' is for games that don't support separate axis for gas and brakes. LFS does, so you can turn this off.

I have 'degrees of rotation' set to max (900), though I don't think there are any cars in LFS that support more than 720 degrees.

I leave all the other the global parameters (overall effects, spring effects, damper effects) at their defaults.

In game, 'wheel turn' should be set the same as 'degrees of rotation'. For me that's 900.

'Wheel turn compensation' should be set to .01. If you set this to 0, LFS will not match the turning of the G25 to the in-game wheel. If it's set to any non-zero value, the G25 and in-game wheel will match degree for degree.

'Throttle brake axes: separate' should be on, assuming you un-checked 'combined pedals' in the profiler.

The turning of your wheel and the in-game wheel will match exactly, but you won't get any real steering lock. For instance, when driving the MRT or an F1 car you will be able to turn the G25 past 270 degrees, but the in-game wheel will just stop at maximum lock for that car.
#4 - steve
I set up my modded DFP to 900 in control panel, 720 in LFS, wheel turn comp to 1.00 and analogue steer smooth at .10, and forces usally around 50 to 85 for different cars, feels the best to me and I dont get no wheel oscillations, and still have the full 900 degree rotation also.
So force feedback stops don’t change with each car?
I would have to set 540 / 720 etc within the profiler to have ff stops at the designated degrees of rotation
I'm using:

Overall Effects Strength: 100%
Spring Effects Strength: 0%
Damper Effect Strength: 0%
Enable Centering Spring: Yes
Centering Spring Strength: 0%
Report Combined Pedals: No, duh
Degrees of Rotation: 540

Wheel turn: 540
Wheel Turn Compensation: 0.00, I like it linear
Force Strength: 75%
Confused...
Why people set their DFP/G25 to 900 degrees in control panel if the car they're driving has max lock of say 540 or 720 degrees? I think being able to have a perfectly linear steering is awesome, so I'm baffled why someone uses wheel turn compensation with DFP/G25.

Anywhoo... my settings for Logi G25:

Control panel
Overall force 100%
Damper & Spring 0%
Centering Spring disabled
Separate pedals
Degrees of rotation depends on the car I'm driving (remember max lock in car setup) GTR class = 540, BF1 = 400, LX6 & XRT = 720 etc.

LFS
FFB steps 256
FF around 15-30%
Steering compensation flat zero
Quote from M.Mos : Spring Effects Strength: Setting doesn't matter for LFS

Damper Effect Strength:
Setting doesn't matter for LFS
[I]

Wrong! LFS doesn't use these settings and that's why they should be disabled (at 0%). If you keep them on the damper & spring effects are added by the drivers (afaik). These just messes up the FFB feeling.
#9 - M.Mos
Quote from deggis :Wrong! LFS doesn't use these settings and that's why they should be disabled (at 0%). If you keep them on the damper & spring effects are added by the drivers (afaik). These just messes up the FFB feeling.

Now this is all wrong. Don't you thing the differnence between 0% and 150% would be obviuos to feel in LFS. Well but there is no difference in LFS. Like the button in the controll panel says: it controlls ET Damper and ET Spring strenght, if none of these effect types are in use by the sim their strenght can't be controled.
#10 - lyd
Quote from Bob Smith :
Wheel turn: 540
Wheel Turn Compensation: 0.00, I like it linear

Bob, my understanding of the way this works is, if you are in a car coded with 540* and have your wheel set to 540*, then it is going to be linear no matter what you set compensation to.

But if you have your wheel set to 540*, compensation at zero, and jump in a car coded to 720*, yeah it will be linear, but it will be all weird with respect to realism in the sim because that 720* is being linearly mapped to the 540*. Likewise, if you jump in a 400* car, it is going to warp it the other way.

Isn't better, if you are not going to change the wheel rotation for each car in profiler, to set it for 720* and compensation for 1, so that it is not only linear but 1:1 with the simulated car?

Assuming I haven't muddled the whole concept, of course. I was doing what I described above until recently, and it always seemed to work as I have described. Lately I have been just changing the rotation to match each car, because with the g25 being so much smoother I find the force lock helpful.

Oh, and for the record (and to stay somewhat on topic ;-), my settings are :

Overall Effects Strength: 100%
Spring Effects Strength: 0%
Damper Effect Strength: 0%
Enable Centering Spring: Yes
Centering Spring Strength: 0%
Separate pedal axes.
Degrees of Rotation: matched to the car.

Wheel turn: matched to the car.
Wheel Turn Compensation: 1
Force Strength: 85%

lyd
Quote :Why people set their DFP/G25 to 900 degrees in control panel if the car they're driving has max lock of say 540 or 720 degrees? I think being able to have a perfectly linear steering is awesome, so I'm baffled why someone uses wheel turn compensation with DFP/G25.

Try it.

(1) Set the DFP/G25 to 720+ degrees in the control panel (I just use 900).
(2) Set 'wheel rotation' in LFS to the same value.
(3) Set 'wheel compensation' in LFS to anything above 0 (.01 works; why this needs to be set to a non-zero value, I don't know, perhaps it's a bug)

Result: the rotation of the wheel on your desk and the wheel in the game will match exactly, for every car in the game. You won't need to go back to the control panel every time you change cars.

The only reason to change the lock in the control panel to anything less than 720 is so that you can get the FF locks for a specific car (like lyd said).
Quote from M.Mos :Now this is all wrong. Don't you thing the differnence between 0% and 150% would be obviuos to feel in LFS. Well but there is no difference in LFS. Like the button in the controll panel says: it controlls ET Damper and ET Spring strenght, if none of these effect types are in use by the sim their strenght can't be controled.

I don't think many will agree with you on this because there is clearly difference. I can notice a differece also in RBR which doesn't use Damper (or at least the lead physics programmer said it shouldn't be used with RBR).

Scawen should know:

"I don't know what they do but they should be set to zero whatever they do. Because LFS will handle the forces by simply sending the steering axis torques straight to your wheel.

Anything the wheel software would add, due to incorrect (non-zero) settings, would simply interfere with those LFS forces and be wrong, because the wheel software does not know what your car is doing."

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=7645#post7645

ps. ET means what?
It don't matter how many do agree. The link you posted is intressting. There you can read that scawen also said:
Originally Posted by Scawen
Quote : OK... so... maybe i'm wrong to say that the spring strength should be zero. It seems strange - i can't understand what it can really mean. The thing is, i've always assumed that "Spring Strength" was related to an auto-centering spring.
But then, "enable centering spring" is switched off, so there shouldn't be a centering spring, so what "Spring Strength" means, i don't know.

Not so sure if Scawen do know. And in the next post Colcob is saying basicly the same thing i was saying, so i guess at least he agree with me :-) Scawen also described how to check your driversettings:

Originally Posted by Scawen
Quote :Anyway here's a simple test to check for "correctness" of your wheel driver settings :

- Start LFS and sit on the track in any car
- Press the "<" key to set the force right down to zero
- Now, your wheel should be loose - no force, stays where you put it

My wheel passes his correctness test with 0% or 150% for spring/damper.

About RBR i cant comment cause it wont work with my G25 atm .
What effect does it use? Can you check this for me? (i'll give you information how to check it, if you want to)

About the difference spring effect and centering spring. Spring effect is a FF effect type (ET) but centering spring is a device/driver handeld effect with no relation to FF. You feel the centering spring when no FF application is running for instance on the windows desktop, or with any non FF Game. i.e. changing the centering spring strenght will change how fast/strong the wheel centers when your in windows or any non FF application. Set it to 0% and you will see that the wheel don't center in windows anymore. Starting a FF application will automaticly turn off centering spring. Exept you have checked the box "enable spring effect" then the centering spring is activated in FF games too. So you don't want "enable spring effect" for non FF games, you enable it if you want centering spring in your FF game.

If you want to know how the different effect work and feel, you can creat them with ImmersionStudio (demo available) or MS Force Editor(old but working) Fedit.exe its pretty much selfexplaining. Start it , click the joystick icon select your FF device, click on a effect icon. Right click on the created effect, select properties and change axes setting. Then press play and experiment with the values and sliders.
Well, in RBR, nK and rF I need some spring and damper to make FFB work (work is a loose term in rF). But if I leave it on in LFS it feels weird - without these 'effects' it feels more real to me.
Mmmmh seems like nobody knows for sure
I would have thought that during testing/programming of the g25 in lfs ,these settings would have been known/found ?
Quote from spankmeyer :....
LFS
FFB steps 256
FF around 15-30%

Where do you set the Force FeedBack steps?
Quote from M.Mos :It don't matter how many do agree. The link you posted is intressting. There you can read that scawen also said:

Yes, I have read that whole thread... but Scawen didn't change up his mind, he was just suspicious. Would be interesting to hear some update from Scawen.

Quote :My wheel passes his correctness test with 0% or 150% for spring/damper.

There must be something fux0red...

One thing... In the Logitech Profiler, if you're using game specific profiles and settings, are you sure you always change your FFB settings from the Edit - Specific Game Settings menu and NOT in the Global Device Settings? If the latter one, then it doesn't affect anything.

Quote :About RBR i cant comment cause it wont work with my G25 atm .
What effect does it use? Can you check this for me? (i'll give you information how to check it, if you want to)

What do you mean?

Quote from tristancliffe :Well, in RBR, nK and rF I need some spring and damper to make FFB work (work is a loose term in rF).

as I said, RBR needs Overall & Spring effects. Damper should be off.

Quote from Turbo Dad :Where do you set the Force FeedBack steps?

from cfg.txt file in the LFS folder
Quote from deggis :What do you mean?

Well, which effect(s) are in use by RBR?

Of course i used only Global Device Settings and no profile or vice versa.
I only play LFS so i havent used the game specific profiles.
I presume you don't have to use these , you can just use the global settings if no profile in use ?
Quote from Turbo Dad :I only play LFS so i havent used the game specific profiles.
I presume you don't have to use these , you can just use the global settings if no profile in use ?

Yes, as long as you don't create a profile for LFS, it should use the global settings.

BTW: I just found that I had the FF settings to 50% in the Profiler, and 100% in LFS. I just reversed that (100% in the Profiler, 50% in LFS) and found that I much prefer the way it feels. Just an FYI, in case anybody else wants to try it. I seem to get stronger FF with the wheel turned, without excessive notchiness in the center.
Answer From LFS Tech
Q:Specifically , are the spring effects /damper effects /centering spring controlled in anyway by LFS? What should the values be set at ?

A: These settings in your wheel drivers are not set in any way by LFS. Spring, damper and centering spring should all be set to zero and force strength to 100%. This will give LFS full control, using only the "constant force" effect.

also that 'enable centering spring' should not be ticked.

Straight from the horses keyboard
It's a shame wingmanteam forums are closed these days. Tom (involved in driver/software I believe) was very active on that forum and often answered specific questions like this.

(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG