The online racing simulator
Left/Right hand drive
(31 posts, started )
#1 - Davo
Left/Right hand drive
This question's been bothering me for a while now. Is there any advantage to left or right hand drive? If the drivers weight is taken into account, surely then around different tracks it'd be better to sit either left or right depending on direction?
I know that some drivers prefer to move their driving position to the internal side of track optimizing weight transfers, but onestly i dunno if in LFS there is a real concrete advantage on doing that. WRs doesn't seems to be influenced much by this thing.
this game is about being relistic so theres no big difference
I drive right because we drive right in our country
the only difference is your expirience in the sides
there is a slight advantage to driving on the right side on some tracks like blackwood. but it is an almost nonexistant advantage. i just drive every track left and side since i'm american.
#5 - SamH
I sit on the left, though I drive a RHD car IRL. Force of habit.
I change sides to suit the track direction there is a difference in weight distribution and it effects tyre wear a bit too

SD.
yea...i cant drive on the right side as i get always confused lol and i cant judge where my car is.
would be good if id be able to, as it does really make a difference (luckily lil enough so its not that important).
#8 - Vain
When driving with a british teammate in the LFS GT I drove on the right hand side of the XFR. The most important change was the view. F.e. near the end of section one of So City Long there's a chicane that is nicely visible from the right side, but from the left side the entry of the chicane is neatly covered by the A-pillar and you're basically driving blind.

Vain
Use whichever side suits you. Unlike certain countries, we don't drive on the wrong side of the road in the UK so I use RHD.
Im english, but i prefer left hand drive. Besides, more countrys drive on the right than the left. So if you can't beat em, join em.

I feel more comfortable LHD, and in real life it would be the same, as my right hand would be by the hand brake and gearstick.
Which side you drive DOES affect performance, especially on Ovals where one turns one way only. In some oval race series, the rules stipulate that a choice must be between more inside corner mass percentage and more downforce.

The effecs won't be ENORMOUS over one lap or even a few laps, but in close oval races (and oval races tend to be REAL close) every fraction of a second counts.
Few thoughts. What about locked left/tight hand drive?

From what I have seen, the RA does defenately not have a righthand drive sibling- > LHD only.
The LX4&6 are based on the Lotus 7s. Which are RHD -> RHD only. Though these are usually self-made so it would be perfectly realistic to have both LHD and RHD versions of them. Unless they are direct Lotus 7 replicas.
FZ50 would probably be sold all around the world, so both are good. The same with the RB4, XFG and FXO.
UF1 is based on the original mini, which could be RHD only.
The XRT and XRT (and XRR as well) could be some American 80's sportscars not sold in Australia, Japan or in UK. LHD only. Or japanise.

But I don't see that in LFS you need to lock the driver positions in the cars. At the same time I don't like the fact that people switch from left to right all the time to gain more speed. IRL no one has LHD and RHD versions of the same car for different tracks, but in LFS everyone has. I don't like to drive on RHD but I could cope with it, eventually it would probably make no difference. I just don't like how easily and effortlessly you can switch the driver position in LFS.
xrg/t are not 80s american sportts cars, they can go round corners, they are more like a mitsibushi starion which is made in japan and available in uk so RHD

edit just noticed your dicreetly small or japanese comment at the end of the sentance
#14 - Davo
Thanks for the info guys. I'll take any advantage I can get to be a farctionn quicker as I'm slow enough already lol Seeing as I don't use cockpit view I'll start changing sides depending on the track but now I'm wonderign if this is legal in League races?

I'd say the XRT is like a nissan skyline or similar japanese 90s turbo sports coupe.
just use a single seater. problem sorted.
It does have an advantage. If you sit on the inside in corners, the load for outer tyres is smaller -> it doesn't wear so fast -> you can use more camber there. By laptimes this is not so significant, but setupping the car for longer races is harder, if you're on the 'wrong' side.

I'd definately want to see driver side locking, either by car or by S2 account.
I dont drive IRL but i do drive RHD in lfs as it feels to be the natural side for me lol. I can see in leagues this could be a problem when one person uses LHD and the other uses RHD.
hm... i think i tried the rhd in demo times, moooonths ago.
but well... now i only use lhd. changing between lhd and rhd just because it gives a little advantage on some tracks is somehow noobish imo, just drive like you´re used to.
Quote from Davo :This question's been bothering me for a while now. Is there any advantage to left or right hand drive? If the drivers weight is taken into account, surely then around different tracks it'd be better to sit either left or right depending on direction?

Well... I hope you DO drive with both hands j/k
the weight does matter of the driver , look in the lfs garage in game where you can turn driver on or off.. but i dont know if it does matter if you are on the left or the right side for the weight.
Quote from Jamexing :Which side you drive DOES affect performance, especially on Ovals where one turns one way only.

How many ovals do you drive on, in something other than a BF1?! I've never seen it!
The biggest advantages are on the weightless cars (UF1, XFG, ...) and on tracks where there's a very high ratio of left,right corners.

A very good example is Fern Club UF1 or XFG, Fern Bay 5 and 6, As Cadet,ect.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Use whichever you feel more comfortable with.
use RHD in LFS, Canada clearly is LHD.
Quote from Hyperactive :

UF1 is based on the original mini, which could be RHD only.

left hand drive minis did exist, surprised you hadn't seen or remembered the one in the Bourne Identity

Left/Right hand drive
(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG