The online racing simulator
Budget €2000 - Which Laptop?
(14 posts, started )
#1 - CSU1
As above guy's my budget is about 2k and my current laptop just doesn't cut it, it's a Toshiba Equim A-60' pretty fast but has crappy garphics memory(64mb integrated ).

I know I could get a decent pc for this money but dont have the space for one and am always in different locations between my familly's houses, so a pc would be impractical for me.

So any ideas on which laptops are good for four years abuse appriciated, because I'm not sure which one to buy.
AlL Dell do is throw the usual old stock crap at you saying double memory and all that bull, which leaves me a bit confused on where actualy to look to buy???
http://www.rockdirect.com/

The best laptop available, including SLI (Dual Geforce 7900 GTX) 19" laptops....

Prices starting from just over £1000 uptop nearly £3000

By far the best IMHO, if I could afforde them, this is always my first stop for laptops!

EDIT: Just noticed you put Euro's not Pounds.... Rock might be above you price, but they might have something you can afford, just have a look!
Quote from CSU1 :As above guy's my budget is about 2k and my current laptop just doesn't cut it, it's a Toshiba Equim A-60' pretty fast but has crappy garphics memory(64mb integrated ).

I know I could get a decent pc for this money but dont have the space for one and am always in different locations between my familly's houses, so a pc would be impractical for me.

So any ideas on which laptops are good for four years abuse appriciated, because I'm not sure which one to buy.
AlL Dell do is throw the usual old stock crap at you saying double memory and all that bull, which leaves me a bit confused on where actualy to look to buy???

I spent €1300 on an Asus (something or other - will get the name later) from Dawn Micro Systems in Clonskea back in March. It runs LFS very nicely. I'm sure there is a newer version out now knowing the laptop market.
Also a mate of mine bougth a HP DV2000 in Dixons (Liffey Valley) for €1499 it's also very good with LFS. and a pretty slick looking machine. You can get it in different specs so if you wanted to spec it up you prob could.
As with most things its probably alot cheaper to buy straight from the net somewhere.
#4 - CSU1
Thanks guys that hp dv2000 looks sweet
one thing I will watch this time when buying is how the fan system is designed, omg! the designers in toshiba shud be shot for the way they made the Equim series having the intake right where your bloody knee is:doh:
really bloody thick of them and it also sounds like a hoover...
and also the fact that I could upgrade that machine if I wanted is pretty nice too,
something that can't be done with the Hoover!
i bought an hp dv5000 a bit ago. It came with alot of this hp crap, but after i uninstalled it its fine. A few problems here and their, but i love it
#6 - CSU1
Quote from Vendetta :i bought an hp dv5000 a bit ago. It came with alot of this hp crap, but after i uninstalled it its fine. A few problems here and their, but i love it

nice! Tell me where is the fan intake on that series of machine please?
Since you're not skimping on cash, why not go Apple route?

(yes I know this thread will go down in flames soon afterwards)

On the PC side, my Fujitsu-Siemens has served me well for almost three years now. Recommended!
i dont think you can play LFS on a mac can u? well at least not without a load of hastle...
#9 - CSU1
Quote from spankmeyer :Since you're not skimping on cash, why not go Apple route?

(yes I know this thread will go down in flames soon afterwards)

On the PC side, my Fujitsu-Siemens has served me well for almost three years now. Recommended!

I dont know much about Mac's only for there is one sitting under my table at home gathering dust.
Macs are not good for anything apart from working with letters, reading, surfing the web(Safari LMAO!!!) and what not.
The only good thing I can say for those machines is that they are very good for work files and stuff like that and they consume very little energy/battery because as a machine they are as dumb as shite
Thanks anyway for you thoughts
...Except you can run windows on the new macs so you'd be a fool not to consider one. And now the macbookpros come with core 2 duos as standard, starting at 2.16ghz with 1gb ram and 120gb hdd, I'd think very carefully about writing them off.

In fact if I was buying a new laptop with £1200, I'd be getting one of those.
I've seen Fujitsu-Siemens' working good, never had any problems with hardware. Im not an expert by any means when it comes to laptops
#12 - CSU1
Quote from pb32000 :...Except you can run windows on the new macs so you'd be a fool not to consider one. And now the macbookpros come with core 2 duos as standard, starting at 2.16ghz with 1gb ram and 120gb hdd, I'd think very carefully about writing them off.

In fact if I was buying a new laptop with £1200, I'd be getting one of those.

The macintosh sucks ass m8, really why would I want to spend my money on something that is alien to most people/systems and hardware.
Lol. Ok whatever you think..
Quote from CSU1 : nice! Tell me where is the fan intake on that series of machine please?

not sure exactly what your saying, but i know the hot air comes out of the back left, its that what you wanted to know lol The whole front is a speaker, and ITS AWESOME LOOKING

(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG