The online racing simulator
#1 - axus
Dealing with awkward moments about LFS
What happens if you are at a party and a chick you like asks you "What have you been up to today?"... If you spent the whole day playing LFS its sometimes a difficult situation to be in. I'm sure most of us have been there done that.

Here's my story. S2 Alpha was released on my birthday and I had a get-together with friends later that day. I spent the whole morning and afternoon on track. When I got together with my friends this girl asked me what I've been doing... I said something along the lines of "I've been going around large twisty circles on a computer simulation all day... Sounds like fun, doesn't it?". We just both laughed and carried on talking about more 'interesting' topics... that seems to work so I normally say something along those lines if I have been racing all day - makes it sound like its what you did due to a lack of a better alternative.

I know, its kind of a shitty story - but thats the worst one I've had, usually I'm lucky enough to have done something else that day so I can talk about that rather.

I've found that girls don't want to hear about your new PB or how you tuned your suspension... so don't mention it

So I'm sure some of you have had some weird moments when having to explain that you have been racing LFS all day and its not as geeky as it sounds, so share them.
Things. Stuff. Work.

Usually gets the message across you can't bother to talk about allowing for the perfect opportunity to ask them what they have done.
I usually just pause for a moment and then say "erm, not much". But then I suppose everyone thinks I'm boring. I think my technique would work better if I actually did something else as well so I've got something to talk about. One day.
#4 - Chaos
Well I guess I'm lucky, because my very close friend (a girl and if things go fine, a girlfriend), has like me, petrol in her veins. So I don't have this problem now.

But before that, I ran into trouble like you on several occasions... Some just could not understand that it's a sport much like any other... Some guys play football, I play LFS, I said... But the common reply was: But that is on a computer... And I could not explain that it is pretty much the same... They have a football match for 2x 45mins and sweat like hell, and I have a 2 hours race and sweat also.

I was always for a geek, when I said that you could sweat from playing computer games... But I've always let them have their "truth" and left them in their ignorance...
#5 - tpa
Quote from Bob Smith :I usually just pause for a moment and then say "erm, not much". But then I suppose everyone thinks I'm boring. I think my technique would work better if I actually did something else as well so I've got something to talk about. One day.

lol Same here somehow.

I've been doing a lot of running during the last weeks (every second day), so every second time I get asked what I did I can say I went running

My ex-girlfriend laughed at me for playing LFS, but in vino veritas, and when she got drunk she wanted to try it out as well and had quite some fun
#6 - avih
not a problem at all to say "i was playing this great race simulation", however, it's been a while since i've done that. pretty busy with work lately. but it passes ok. just give it a try
They don't ask me anymore, they know what i have been doing :eclipseeh
#8 - axus
Quote from Fordman :They don't ask me anymore, they know what i have been doing :eclipseeh

ROFL!
P-p-p-party, what the hell is that,......been way too long. I think thats goes for most of us dads.

I guess my line would go something like, "Well I did some 3d modeling for work, played with my son, then the wife came home from work..." and I got a funny feeling that the conversation would end somewhere around that point lol.
At "parties" I'm usually stuffing my face, or something, so its not too much of a problem. Either that or my mates are asking computer based questions. As for the woman, she knows not to ask now - she just switches off when it comes to computers Shame really, as I spend most of my life at them - at work and at home lol
Lucky for me lfs isnt my life and is more of a hobby I do once in awhile, say 5 hours in two days of racing, but much more than that becuase I'm on aim messenger, Im the younger racer here So when girls ask I always have backup, tell them how school went, I probably mowed the lawn at some point and I swim just bout everyday for team condiditioning. So really I avoid talking about technology Oh and 4 days til im 16, already have a car picked out. Sadly not an infiniti (ill just take a spin in my dads every so often) so thats something to talk about too. I have more friends that are girls than guys btw.
I'm grounded from LFS for 6 months, and you all have no idea how much this sucks hahahaha. So I haven't come about this lately, but when I do talk about it I call it a "Car simulation" which to everybody else sounds like "Need for speed underground 2"

mmm...but then again how do I explain this?
http://www.xfire.com/xf/module ... ile&uname=xapexcivicx
Quote from the_angry_angel :At "parties" I'm usually stuffing my face, or something, so its not too much of a problem.

Or something, eh? LOL.
#14 - axus
Quote from xapexcivicx :I call it a "Car simulation" which to everybody else sounds like "Need for speed underground 2"

And then they ask what it is and you say "Live for Speed" and they go "Oh, no you mean Need for Speed Underground 2 - I play that too... I love that game..."... and then you have to slowly explain to them that its "Live for Speed" and its much more realistic after which they tell you in their ignorant bliss that "NFSU even has car shaking simulated when you press the NOS button so its super realistic" at which point you do not retort because you know that the person in front of you is too ignorant to see the that he is going through a corner at 250km/h. That's in the cas that its a guy, but I doubt you will be trying to chat a guy up. And if its a chick and she knows "Need for Speed Underground 2" then RUN! RUN! RUN FAST! As far away as possible.
Quote from axus :at which point you do not retort because you know that the person in front of you is too ignorant to see the that he is going through a corner at 250km/h.

The trouble is I do retort. I've had one or two very heated discussions starting like that...
#16 - axus
Quote from tristancliffe :The trouble is I do retort. I've had one or two very heated discussions starting like that...

It has happened to me aswell. I eventually learned that its completely useless and they will eventually ask you if there is NOS in LFS and you will have to say no and then they will tell you it sucks. You can go on about the physics as much as you like they will not understand.
Quote from axus :they will eventually ask you if there is NOS in LFS and you will have to say no and then they will tell you it sucks.

maybe we should incorporate xcnuses idea of having a push to pass button on the race cars after al
I don't have those problems because I don't have any friends who could ask me anything
Quote from Bob Smith :I usually just pause for a moment and then say "erm, not much". But then I suppose everyone thinks I'm boring. I think my technique would work better if I actually did something else as well so I've got something to talk about. One day.

Exactly the same here.

I need to get a life ...
Hate me, but i have to say it.. Game name really sucks..
Quote from xapexcivicx :I'm grounded from LFS for 6 months, and you all have no idea how much this sucks hahahaha. So I haven't come about this lately, but when I do talk about it I call it a "Car simulation" which to everybody else sounds like "Need for speed underground 2"

mmm...but then again how do I explain this?
http://www.xfire.com/xf/module ... ile&uname=xapexcivicx

Joseph, it's a shame really that you failed to realise your father reads and posts here as well. Your mother, you and me agreed you wouldnt play LFS for 6 months and you did. You disappoint me.

HAHAHAHAHHAHA

But ehm, yea, when anyone asks me who doesnt understand gaming fun, when I've been playing LFS for 5 hours and played the guitar for 2 minutes, I just reply I've been doing a bit of computer stuff and how much I played the guitar all day! Haha.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
I just say what I did, if a girl/friend can't accept you for you and your hobbys, shes not worth it.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I just say what I did, if a girl/friend can't accept you for you and your hobbys, shes not worth it.

Alas, the reason why Gu3st is single. Welcome the the forums <3
when people asks me what I was doing, I'd reply "Just playing pc game"

if they kept on asking, like "what game are you playing?"

"Racing Game"

if they still insists of asking.. "Need for speed?"

"no"

"then what game is it?"

"just some racing simulation type of game"

hahaha, I usually leave the game name to the very last moment, cause if my friend would ask so much about it, it must means he's interested as well, and that'd be fine to talk about it. For normal people, I'd just do what I'd do above, they'll stop asking halfway anyways.
Quote from frokki :I don't have those problems because I don't have any friends who could ask me anything

LOL it's ok mate we'll be your friends..

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG