The online racing simulator
Help - Screwed up windows AGAIN
(30 posts, started )
Okay, I am really pissed. Last night, I wanted to turn my computer off, but it usually takes it like 5 friggin minutes to shut down. So, I just flipped the switch on my power supply. When I turned it on today, windows got stuck at its loading screen. So, I cut off the power, and rebooted. My computer booted fine into safe mode. What could I have done wrong? All I remember is that I had trillian open, and usually whenever I cut the power off, it loses ALL of my contacts, which would suck. Thankfully, I have an installation of Fedora Core. Anyone know where to look for files that may cause my computer to stay at the windows loading screen? If I do have to reinstall, it is not a big deal. I can just copy program files from my C: partition unto my 250GB hard drive, or a different partition on the same drive. But, there must be a way without reinstalling. I almost am certain that the cause of my problems are some sort of driver. Would it be a good idea just to start disabling all unnesasary services using services.msc in safe mode? Sorry for the really long post. I tried to make my grammar as good as possible.
#2 - Jakg
no offence - but if it takes 5 mins, clean the crap out with CCleaner, and anyway, you dont need to watch it shut down, just walk away...
Quote from Jakg : you dont need to watch it shut down, just walk away...

I cannot sleep with it on, I have a bright blue light coming from my power supply, and its a dell so it is noisy as sh*t!
#4 - Jakg
Quote from wheel4hummer :I cannot sleep with it on, I have a bright blue light coming from my power supply, and its a dell so it is noisy as sh*t!

easy to quiten it, just turn it off and walk away, im sure 5 mins of noise isn't that annoying!
Okay, now after some competetive racing in TORCS, I will try to fix the problem.

EDIT: I think that I have found the problem, but I cannot fix it. Here is an entry in the system events when I tried to start windows "normally". I looked in services.msc, and could not find any of these. Is it possible that I have to go into the registry and disable these programs from starting? I am not sure whether these are services or programs, lol.

Event Type: Error

Event Source: Service Control Manager

Event Category: None

Event ID: 7026

Date: 10/23/2006

Time: 6:56:16 PM

User: N/A

Computer: JOESPC

Description:

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:

ATITool

atitray

Avg7Core

Avg7RsW

Avg7RsXP

Fips

IfsDrives

intelppm

ntiowp

OMCI

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

#6 - kompa
Looks pretty bad to me. I would definitely rather reinstall than try to fix something that takes 5 mins to shut down when it's 'working'. I'd also install all software from scratch as just copying stuff from C:\Program Files\ might work with LFS, it will pose problems on other software.

Good luck!
#7 - CSU1
Quote from Jakg :no offence - but if it takes 5 mins, clean the crap out with CCleaner, and anyway, you dont need to watch it shut down, just walk away...

+1 CCleaner is a great free tool, and I take it you have ran msconfig and selected "selective startup" gone into the startup tab and gotten rid of thins that you don't use/need
#8 - Jakg
Quote from CSU1 :+1 CCleaner is a great free tool, and I take it you have ran msconfig and selected "selective startup" gone into the startup tab and gotten rid of thins that you don't use/need

no, i use Autoruns, like MSCONFIG, but better!
#9 - CSU1
Quote from Jakg :no, i use Autoruns, like MSCONFIG, but better!

Wassat then? A seperate process or plug-in , can't see what other info one would need other than that in msconfig for looking the boot/startup/service config.When I firdt learned of Windoze Services/startup config and how to change/disable them, the time it took to restart dropped about 30 seconds to 10-15 seconds happy days
#10 - Ziil
Quote from wheel4hummer :Okay, now after some competetive racing in TORCS, I will try to fix the problem.

EDIT: I think that I have found the problem, but I cannot fix it. Here is an entry in the system events when I tried to start windows "normally". I looked in services.msc, and could not find any of these. Is it possible that I have to go into the registry and disable these programs from starting? I am not sure whether these are services or programs, lol.

Description:

ATITool

atitray

Avg7Core

Avg7RsW

Avg7RsXP

Fips

IfsDrives

intelppm

ntiowp

OMCI

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Well as I understand your video drivers dont work then AVG antivirus is borked and motherboard drivers aint working very well
OMCI is a Dell driver ( i have no idea what it does ) and Fips-- FIPS is a program for non-destructive splitting of FAT16 and FAT32 harddisk partitions.
So i would say it's easyer to just format and reinstall windows + drivers
#11 - Jakg
Quote from CSU1 :Wassat then? A seperate process or plug-in , can't see what other info one would need other than that in msconfig for looking the boot/startup/service config.When I firdt learned of Windoze Services/startup config and how to change/disable them, the time it took to restart dropped about 30 seconds to 10-15 seconds happy days

Google it - its a program that can be run, it lets you verify if stuff is actually Microsoft stuff, combines services and startup, shows things that windows hides (Like the dreaded WGA), tells you what certain services do - got a startup item your unsure about? Right click>Google it and learn more! it's great
#12 - Jakg
Quote from wheel4hummer :Okay, now after some competetive racing in TORCS, I will try to fix the problem.

Description:

ATITool

atitray

Avg7Core

Avg7RsW

Avg7RsXP

Fips

IfsDrives

intelppm

ntiowp

OMCI

"ATITool

atitray"

Who's been overclocking?
Quote from wheel4hummer :I cannot sleep with it on, I have a bright blue light coming from my power supply, and its a dell so it is noisy as sh*t!

Is Shit noisy?
#14 - CSU1
Quote from jaws99 :Is Shit noisy?

:bumb: Sh*t comes in many forms my man, Dell is just one of em'
Yeah, so I just went into safe mode today and uninstalled all of those things, except a few of them I could not find in the add/remove programs list, so I just disabled those in the registry. Seriously only took me like 10 mins.
Cutting the power off isn't a good idea either. When you do it to many times after each other, or maybe not even on a row, it can make your motherboard crash, or the power supply thingy (what's that again? I know it in dutch)
How is cutting of the power to my power supply bad for it? All it does is supply power!
I dunno how it works exactly, but power cutting is just bad for your computer. I'm not talking about just once or twice, but if it happens often, you can really mess up your comp with it.
#19 - Jakg
Quote from wheel4hummer :How is cutting of the power to my power supply bad for it? All it does is supply power!

You like corrupted system files, do ya?

What happens when you pull a memory stick out when it's being used? Same happens to your hdd when you pull out the power!
Quote from Jakg :You like corrupted system files, do ya?

What happens when you pull a memory stick out when it's being used? Same happens to your hdd when you pull out the power!

That, and I heard of several cases where the power frequently went out (or even the comp shut itself down), and after a few times the power supply thingy was just fried, even the mobo.
I ran CCleaner, so that should speed up my shutdowns a little. Oh, and I seem to have corrupted explorer.exe somehow! When I go to my computer, and click on a hard drive, it crashes explorer.exe. Is there any way to replace it? Should I try a windows repair installation?
Okay, I just installed an alternative to windows explorer. Problem solved!
#23 - DeKo
the problem of cutting the power out straight away is the needle basically hovering so close to the HD, when you shut down normally or even when you hit the reset button, it flys back and docks so it doesnt cause any damage, but when you just cut power its going to drop onto your HD and scratch it all over the place.
Quote from DeKo :the problem of cutting the power out straight away is the needle basically hovering so close to the HD, when you shut down normally or even when you hit the reset button, it flys back and docks so it doesnt cause any damage, but when you just cut power its going to drop onto your HD and scratch it all over the place.

My SATA is hot-swapable, so I don't have to worry about that, do I? My system disk is IDE though.
#25 - DeKo
erm, im assuming the hot-swapable one wont do it yeah, dont know though.

(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG