The online racing simulator
How does LFSShow determine car/camera preference?
I tried out this tool last night and it's pretty cool. It's nice to be able to setup a bunch of different replays and watch them one after the other automatically. However; I'm really curious about how LFSShow chooses which car to focus on and which camera to use. It seems to be pretty random as to which car/camera is used. I watched several replays last night and never saw a single wreck. The camera never seemed to focus on collisions, close battles, or the leader.

Is there any way to prevent certain camera views (like the tires-only view) or to give preference to certain views in order to make it look more like a televised race? Is there any way to make the focus on a car when it's involved in a collision or when it passes another car?
im.. pretty sure it just runs the replays you have, and just randomly switches cars (if it does) .. randomly, and i dont know cause i've never used it, but doesnt it just use the same cameras as the ones in LFS...?

im pretty sure all that thing does is just run your replays through LFS
It does use the same cameras as LFS normally does (in car, behind car, TV, overhead, wheels view, etc). It just plays back LFS replays, but it changes the car it's focused on and it changes the camera view every so often. I'm wondering if this is just random or if there's actually some sort of rhyme or reason to how it changes. The settings file doesn't really have any settings related to the camera or car, so I'm guessing that it randomly chooses a car and randomly chooses a camera, and does so at random intervals. I'm just wondering if there's any way to make it more like watching a replay on TV. As it is now, you'll often be focused on a car that's all by itself when two cars ahead are battling for position. Or you'll be watching one car when there's a huge wreck right behind. And the "wheels only" view really takes away the immersion of the replay and shows you right away that you're not looking at a TV.

I thought perhaps someone might know the inner workings of the program (other than Scawen, who wrote it). It apparently uses in-sim data, so it might be possible to make an even better tool of this type that would produce GT4-like replays.

It's not a big deal since I'd rather be racing than just watching, but a really good replay viewer would be nice for watching the enduro league replays and such. Also, it might be possible to get computer shops to have one or two of their floor models running LFS replays in a loop rather than using the 3D benchmarking tools. Could be good exposure.

Guess maybe I should have put this in the LFS programmers section of the forum.
As far as I know, LFSShow is just randomly changing views. But yes, it would be possible to make a better version of LFSShow, that picks up crashes and what-not. Infact Peeps' LFSMM2 uses a similar technology (or he was talking about it doing it at least), where it could pick out crashes, or close racing and automatically do the shot for you, if you wanted.

Edit: Yes LFSShow is an InSim app.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG