The online racing simulator
LFS Dedicated Linux server
(50 posts, started )
Is there a dedicated server program for linux??

Windsurf
#2 - dopez
Quote from dopez :no, but it does run very well with wine, see here for a small howto http://www.powie.de/part/artikel.php?id=41

(but i'd like to see a native linux version too

Thank You for the help! It worked.
Only the howto had some small mistakes :-)
The path is not longer:
http://www.liveforspeed.net/fi ... php?name=LFS_S1H_DEDI.zip

But:

http://www.liveforspeed.net/fi ... p?name=LFS_S2_DEDI_P2.zip

and not:
# nohup wine LFS.exe /cfg=setup.cfg >/dev/null & echo $! > lfs.pid
but

# nohup wine LFS.exe /cfg=setup.cfg >/dev/null & echo $! >lfs.pid

But thnx anyway :-)
(I'm a noob on Linux, but i managed to set it up ...Weeeeee)
Thnx again for the help!

Windsurf
Need some more help here :-)

I now have a server up running on the linux machine. But server does not report our racing results to the LFSworld server. Is there any ports on the router I have to forward/open to get the server to report to LFSworld??

I have open port 63392 for both UDP and TCP
Must both UDP and TCP be open??
You need to open the following:
29339 TCP
63392 TCP and UDP

Yes, both TCP and UDP need to be used on the final port. LFS uses UDP to transfer car position, as its quicker.
Dopez,ur link was failure.pls correct it .thx.
I find that according to:

http://www.winehq.com/site/doc ... sr-guide/config-wine-main

there is no more '.wine/config' configuration file and the winecfg program needs to be used to configure things:

Quote :In the past, Wine used a special configuration file that could be found in ~/.wine/config. If you are still using a version of Wine that references this file (older than June, 2005) you should upgrade before doing anything else. All settings are now stored directly in the registry and accessed by Wine when it starts.

The bad thing for a dedicated linux host is that winecfg works only with a graphic user interface.

Now, I can think of two solutions:

1) Downgrade to an older wine version

2) Install wine to an identical machine with X-Windows enabled, and then copy over the registries files.

However, before I embark on actually doing all this exciting stuff (! ) I thought I would try and ask if anyone else can think of some other, cleaner workaround or solution for console-only wine.

Any ideas?
Quote from avellis :
Now, I can think of two solutions:

1) Downgrade to an older wine version
2) Install wine to an identical machine with X-Windows enabled, and then copy over the registries files.

3) Run it on Xvnc
I wish there was a LFS server liveCD/liveUSB (USB most wise because of CFG files and updated) where you could just go, pop the thing in, and have a linux server with wine and all no sweat.
Quote from StuntCarRacer :3) Run it on Xvnc

Hmm yes, of course, or even X11. I just skipped this automagically, because of stupid router ACLs between the server and my desktop machine. (And the fact that I would have to restart my X to allow TCP connections )

Will try, though.

Quote from dawesdust_12 :
I wish there was a LFS server liveCD/liveUSB (USB most wise because of CFG files and updated) where you could just go, pop the thing in, and have a linux server with wine and all no sweat.

Nah, I would want the macine to do other stuff as well and not just LFS Dedi.

Since I have experience with Debian packages, I might try to put together a .deb or two that sets up some stuff right away. I don't make any promises, though.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I wish there was a LFS server liveCD/liveUSB (USB most wise because of CFG files and updated) where you could just go, pop the thing in, and have a linux server with wine and all no sweat.

hi dawesdust_12

I have built such a thingy...its called "cdedix" . Made it some months ago, so it still runs patch_Q, but would be no prob to update to newer versions. Also an installation to usb-stick is possible , but not needed because it can update changes to a webserver.

Its based on slax: http://www.slax.org and is modular, that means, a running system can load modules at runtime. I just created the needed modules for a dedi-server with LFSLapper support.

Unfortunately i encountered the same probs as some other linux-wine-dedi installations: after a while ppl cant see each other...but chat...only a restart of the dedi helps then Solution in sight: regular restarts via cronjob, but not already included in the last version of "cdedix". I must downgrade to an older wine version, lets see if that works...

Newer versions will also support the racemanager, includes an insim-gateway, so other insim tools like the LFSLapper and the LFSSpectator can connect simultaneous

email me, when u wanna test it: domagk45@gmail.com

greetz from germany
4) Forget about the config file and just use wineconsole instead of wine
Quote from eimer_ :4) Forget about the config file and just use wineconsole instead of wine

Great idea, i tried:

wineconsole --backend=curses LFS.exe /cfg=$CFG >/dev/null & echo $! > lfs.pid

in a script and it seems to work, thx for the tip
Thx all, I just had success with wineconsole and 'curses' backend.

Apparently, the other thing that I had to change to make it work was

Quote :/dedicated=invisible

in setup.cfg. /dedicated=nogfx would still complain about no X display being available.
Update -- I'm slowly finding out stuff. I ended up with a /tmp/wine.log.foo file with size of 4 GB, and the filesystem got full.

To avoid this, be sure to run wine with WINEDEBUG=-all.

for instance,

WINEDEBUG=-all wineconsole --backend=curses LFS.exe /cfg=setup.cfg >/dev/null & echo $! > lfs.pid

I haven't checked out powie.de's init scripts yet, to see if they take that into account. But for those of you who do this manually, be aware of the above thing.
try the newest version of wine! u say u still have a setup.cfg file, what means your version is older than one year...
Quote from eimer_ :try the newest version of wine! u say u still have a setup.cfg file, what means your version is older than one year...

Sorry? setup.cfg is LFS' file, not wine's. Can you clarify?

I have wine 0.9.15 or something like that, whatever is in Debian unstable. ( http://www.winehq.org )
I'm running a lfs server on wine and i am experiencing some problems.

some users tend to fail to connect, or loose connection.

it has never happened to me nor any of the "regulars" though, for those it does happen, it is happening all the time ...

im not sure what information you need from me but, im running:

Wine 20050310
LFS_S2_DEDI_U
Linux version 2.6.10 (gcc version 2.95.4 20011002 (Debian prerelease)) #14

It struck me that the wine version was quite outdated, im now running

Wine 0.9.15

let's see if that helps.
FYI, in my setup, wineconsole did not like 'nohup'. It seemed to need that tty open or something. And if I simply closed the remote shell session, it would start consuming 100% CPU and writing a big log file. Again. With WINEDEBUG=-all. illepall

My hack to make my dedicated server work was to use screen and then detach the terminal.

So my command line now is:

cd <LFS_Directory>
screen -S "$NAME" wineconsole --backend=curses LFS.exe /cfg=$CFG

where
NAME = a meaningful name to display in 'screen -ls', in case a lot of servers are used.
CFG = the config file

Then I do CTRL-A, D to detach from the terminal. (one can also use screen switches: -d -m - Start screen in "detached" mode. This creates a new session but doesn't attach to it. This is useful for system startup scripts.)

I've been running the two [noobs] servers, 'cow' and 'meow' , successfully for two weeks now, using the above workaround. No problems at all!
I find theres a major problem with screen; I have a bad habit of opening them for compiles, lynx, etc. and then forgetting they're open. 2 weeks later I wonder where all the RAM has gone :doh: Rarely will I say a tool is too useful for its own good, but in this case screen is It should be made less useful!!!11oneoneone

To stay on topic, to "reactivate" a screen, you can also use the pid instead of the name, as mentioned above.
man screen

Should help you work it out, if you're not already familiar
As far as I'm aware, Scawen hasn't said no. Although he has said that his *ix programing experience is rather limited (or was at the time).
I asked for it about a Year ago.
Scaven (Or was it Eric?) told me that they have not enough time to release a Linux Dedicated Host in near future.
But he didnt negotiate it
I'm trying to run LFS on Linux using wine. This is the error I get:

Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.
err:wineconsole:WINECON_Fatal Couldn't find a decent font, aborting

Also, I have the following line in my config file:
/dedicated=invisible

Lastly, the command I am running is:
wineconsole LFS.exe /cfg=setup.cfg

I am using the above command temporarily so I can see the error that the server gives me. Please advise.
Quote from Nathan D. :I am using the above command temporarily so I can see the error that the server gives me. Please advise.

Actually if you are in a remote machine, you won't be able to see the error this way.

Most probably, what happens is that something is wrong with LFS's configuration file and it wants to open a window to display the error.

Perhaps the easiest way to solve this is to forward the X display to your machine so that you can see the error message that is shown. You can also try substituting "wineconsole" command with simply "wine".

I have suggested a solution for this, in the past.

(50 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG