The online racing simulator
confirm start button
(15 posts, started )
confirm start button
Havent seen it here, maybe it's been discussed in the past, but i'm sure somebody will point me in the right direction then...

Make a button that you have to press so that you confirm that you are ready to start.

Lots of times when a race starts somebody is just getting coffee, had an urge to use the bathroom, was picking his nose and had to get a tissue.. whatever.
But when enough people voted to restart, his car is being put on the start grid.

Maybe make a button that you have to press before the lights go from red to green. If you dont press ready, you get pitted...
If you're leaving the computer, goto the pit. Simple as. Theres no reason not to. If thats too complicated, spectate.
I agree with angry that people should switch to spectate but people just won't do it. A confirm button seems a good idea to me.
#4 - CSU1
Havent seen it here, maybe it's been discussed in the past, but i'm sure somebody will point me in the right direction then...

Make a button that you have to press so that you confirm that you are ready to STOP.

Lots of times when I had an urge to use the bathroom, was picking his nose and had to get a tissue.. whatever.
But when enough people voted to restart, his car is being put on the start grid.

Maybe if I press shitf+S or spec it will solve my problem..
Angry Angle, I agree, that's what I ususally do.
But I agree with Gentlefoot, lots DONT and cause mayhem at start.

Maybe turn it around.. restart automatically at winners time plus 10 %. If you havent clicked "join", you wont be put on the start grid.

Make it optional, so that the server admin can decide wether to use it or not.
I think, and I don't pretend that this is my own suggestion or that it's new, that drivers should have to make some kind of controller input for their car to be placed on the grid. If their controller is dead, we can assume they are not at the controls.
how about if the "button" is linked to the throttle? ie, if you don't rev the engine during the countdown you get taken off the grid at the last moment?
#8 - CSU1
Quote from sinbad :I think, and I don't pretend that this is my own suggestion or that it's new, that drivers should have to make some kind of controller input for their car to be placed on the grid. If their controller is dead, we can assume they are not at the controls.

Easy-You do make an input because YOU must assume that you will not be at the controls thus
pressing shift+S or spec.
Pressing shift S to be able to get on the grid at all would be a good idea too. But then it needs to be changed. Now, if half of the drivers press shift S the race starts, that means that the other half automatically go on the grid.
Pressing shift S to start _at all_ would be a good idea, that's almost the same as a seperate "confirm" button.
If someone left the PC, there will be no inputs, based on this, this person could get auto-spectated (real word?) or auto-pitted, but only ~20s after the start, so they aren't in the way for the next lap.
There's a reason for that: In Real-Life(tm), you can't exspect everyone to start properly, there actually are people who stall the engine and stand still right before you.
Not in the way for the next lap is often too late.. it's the start where they are in the way
Quote from herki :If someone left the PC, there will be no inputs, based on this, this person could get auto-spectated (real word?) or auto-pitted, but only ~20s after the start, so they aren't in the way for the next lap.
There's a reason for that: In Real-Life(tm), you can't exspect everyone to start properly, there actually are people who stall the engine and stand still right before you.

But you can't expect people to stall in LFS. You can, however, expect them to be in the car!
now that the 1sec start-lag is gone, it shouldn't be too difficult to drive around the car. I like a bit of randomness in a race, otherwise I could race vs. the AIs
Quote from herki :now that the 1sec start-lag is gone, it shouldn't be too difficult to drive around the car. I like a bit of randomness in a race, otherwise I could race vs. the AIs

Heh ok, next time I see you online I'll do something random just for you, just so you know you're not racing AI

Beware the driver who accidentally selects reverse instead of first gear on the grid, or the driver whose steering suddenly fails and steers wildly across the road
Or the driver who suffers a mental break down as a result of one too many race-restarts

That's gonna be fun. I hope you won't get banned for being a wrecker though...

confirm start button
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG