The online racing simulator
Why do LFS cars fly like ball?
(65 posts, closed, started )
Well, you see, Jo is telling about games, you are telling about RL, where there is no such thing as frequencies when it is checked if there happened a collision since the last check... When you add lag to the virtual representation, than you can have a situation like this: two cars that were, say 1 m apart at the last check, suddenly are -0.5 m apart... So it's a difference of 1.5 m in a 100th of a second... That makes some serious impact energy...
Tristan and Dan, I take it you've watched BTCC races recently? Not saying those guys are models of good racing etiquette (much the opposite) but it is a real-life UK series in which a ton of contact occurs and seems by many to be regarded as all part of the action. So it doesn't seem fair to suggest that NASCAR is the only exception to a general motorsports principle that hitting other cars is bad.
Quote from bbman :Well, you see, Jo is telling about games, you are telling about RL, where there is no such thing as frequencies when it is checked if there happened a collision since the last check... When you add lag to the virtual representation, than you can have a situation like this: two cars that were, say 1 m apart at the last check, suddenly are -0.5 m apart... So it's a difference of 1.5 m in a 100th of a second... That makes some serious impact energy...

And physics limitations in the engine (as well as real life) dictate that a car cannot accelerate in any direction at 1.5m/0.01s/0.01s. So these weird calculations can be avoided (quite easily by taking more than 1 last checkpoint into account and interpolating the energy at which the actual collision took place).

Mind you, crashes because of lag will still happen (where cars simply get into eachother because of the collision detection), but the result of that can still be a realistic crash or slide. LFS is doing ok, just needs the final wrinkles ironed out of the collision detection.
I have watched a few BTCC races this season, and due to the exceptionally low standard of driving and racing I don't bother anymore. Yes, you'll find some low grade series all over the world where hitting takes place, but that doesn't make it right.

In LFS surely we should strive to be the best, and not accept substandard driving, like in the BTCC, as our benchmark!
Quote from bbman :Well, you see, Jo is telling about games, you are telling about RL, where there is no such thing as frequencies

Given the speed of light is the maximum known speed that anything can travel at, I'd argue that there is a maximum sampling rate in the "real world", which is why nuts things happen sometimes. But if they do exist, then they're too high to be worth considering
Quote from tristancliffe :In LFS surely we should strive to be the best, and not accept substandard driving, like in the BTCC, as our benchmark!

Completely agree. I guess my point is that in the meantime, while we're striving towards eventual perfection () it might help to get some good collision and damage modelling into the game. When people really pay the price for their carelessness, particularly in the open-wheelers, then maybe standards will improve.
Quote from tristancliffe :You need to work on your understanding of irony and sarcasm mate. It's not the first time you've been caught out, and whilst your nationality goes some way to explain your inability, it's been long enough.

If only you guys from the UK and Europe would get a proper sense of humor and learn proper English, the way us folks from the USA, and especially Texas (although I'm in California now) do.

Quote :Even in NASCAR hitting each other isn't permitted.

The most recent race was won by Brian Vickers who crashed Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson on the final lap bump drafting. Some didn't like it, other's said it was just racing. Apparently, just like fighting in USA ice hockey, us Americans like the NASCAR format designed to provide lots of entertaining crashes. Combining the two, we need more racing games that include post race fights.

(A bit out of touch with the tone of my reply, some forms of racing, like go-karts, involve a lot of contact. OK, all seriousness aside now).

Quote :And no, we aren't meant to flatspot tyres etc, but locking a wheel is a somewhat smaller mistake. Really Jeff, pay attention.

Us folks in the USA have short attention spans. If it wasn't for beer, even NASCAR wouldn't be popular. I don't drink, so maybe that's why I'm not a fan.

Getting back on topic, there have been a lot of posts of replays and movies from the grandaddy of racing sims, Grand Prix Legends, of spectacular but unrealistic crashes. Plus GPL has a cool damage mode where the cars just fly apart after a good crash. Why else put those buildings at the Masta kink at Spa, or the tree so well positioned just before Adenauer Forst at Nordschleife?
Quote from martine_wedlake :Pardon me if I hijack the thread for a little bit, but I don't really agree with the above; especially the part that "with some physics understanding, you'll see, that the momentup put on the cars then is quite big."

Seems to me that all this applies only when you have inelastic collisions... then the energy represented by the overlap goes directly into reactive force (generating large momentum). But, cars are not inelastic -- they crumple -- thus a vast portion of that energy should really dissapate into the bodywork, suspension, etc and only a little bit go into the reactive force.

Even though LFS does not today have a fully implemented damage model, seems like it could at least pull out that part of the energy and apply only a small portion of the remaining energy toward the change in momentum. Of course, until you have a complete damage model, you'll need to estimate the dissapated energy instead of calculate it... but you get the idea.

well, as said way up in that thread, the momentum is calculated for some kind of inelastic collision. It's easier to calculate, simple thing.
#34 - Tick
All my cars in LFS are made of rubber!

If you dont collide with another car it wont happen!

It will be fixed, Give it time, You cant rush perfection!

Just look at EA! illepall

Tick
Post cleaned, everything O/T or personal removed. Please carry on.
I just noticed this hasn't been posted yet.
Quote from al heeley :Post cleaned, everything O/T or personal removed. Please carry on.

wtf?
plz bring my posts back.
a joy to read, and they cure cancer.
all the hot chicks are crying now.
I don't think the car to car collision system is a priority. Like has already been said - the idea is not to hit the other racers. And when you do, how often is it at a speed high enough to cause such a huge catapult?
Yes it needs worked on, but there are way more important things.
Quote from Dajmin :I don't think the car to car collision system is a priority. Like has already been said - the idea is not to hit the other racers. And when you do, how often is it at a speed high enough to cause such a huge catapult?
Yes it needs worked on, but there are way more important things.

I totally agree.

On the other hand when I did my first lap with GTR2, I hitted a curb really hard and then the car was catapulted straight up vertical into the air (for almost 3 secs). I really had to laugh about it.
So for me it has happend in most of the other finished "sim" games even if no other cars were involved.
It's not an LFS special bug/feature
WHY WERE MY POSTS REMOVED FROM THIS THREAD? OMG THE WORLD IS COLLAPSING! MY PAST IS BEING ERASED BY THE BIGBROTHER!!11

i dont waste my time participating in a forum to get them removed without warning or reason.

they are vital to the earth orbit and therefore shouldn't ever be dealt with frivolousness.
I know its very sad to have to remove your inspired flashes of poetic brilliance, they really brightened up my day but they were, along with 50% of the other posts on this thread (ibncluding this one too) totally nothing to do with the subject of the thread, and several requests were received to put it through a wash cycle. Sadly I had the water temperature set too high and your posts were removed in the wash too.
Quote from al heeley :but they were, along with 50% of the other posts on this thread (ibncluding this one too) totally nothing to do with the subject of the thread

PLEASE bring my posts back.
my posts were about lag , which is on-topic. if you cant understand something dont assume its evil or offtopic.
why were they removed along with whatever?
this is not ABOUT YOUR PERSONAL SUBJECTIVE APPRECIATION OF THE INHERENT QUALITY OF MY POSTS.
THEY OBEYED RULES AND ARE ON TOPIC PLEASE BRING THEM BACK TO THIS THREAD.
abuse of power, where can i delete that?
It pains me to admit that I know of no way your posts can be retrieved from the virtual garbage dump of the cyber forum. They will live on as a fond but fleeting memory in the ether of our consciousness. This is not a personal judgement of the quality of your posts but a trivial box-ticking error by an inept moderator who believes that everything constructive to be discussed about the topic of cars acting like balls has probably already been voiced, viewed and ingested by whatever members of the forum were interested.
As such, any personal feelings of dissatisfaction or persecution stemming from this outrageous injustice, no matter how justified, also do not have a place on this bouncy ball car thread.
I can only extend my own deep and personal regret at the demise of your posts and hope that, once you have administered solace to the hot chicks in distress, you can appeal to the generous side of your nature to forgive my indiscretion on this matter.
My posts weren't really useless, I was discussing something with android
#45 - CSU1
____________________Burn this thread!__________________________
--------------------------The End ----------------------------------
Quote from al heeley :It pains me to admit that I know of no way your posts can be retrieved from the virtual garbage dump of the cyber forum.

if you're that inept, what are you doing as mod? Leave room for fair, balanced, patient diplomatic people that know how and when to tick boxes.
My goodness. This thread went completely :insane:

Seriously, the cleanup was for the better, but at the current rate of OT posts (like this), the only viable thread state is

i want the mod mistake to be corrected. as a matter of principle, please some mod whose not inept, bring back my posts (others can speak for themselves).
I've seen better posts from you Kid. Don't disappoint us now, if i fall on my sword here i'll make a real mess of the carpet.
-
(CSU1) DELETED by CSU1
this is not a competition to entertain you.
stop judging posts as if their only value is how much they entertain you.
this forum is not a let's entertain mr heeley mod ego forum.
i've been polite and requested since yesterday for my posts to be back.
do you really need to test how commited i am to a matter of principle? do it somewhere else, not here please.
please bring my 2 posts back, from this thread original 3 pages state. i'll delete all my posts requesting that, when you do it. thanks.
This thread is closed

Why do LFS cars fly like ball?
(65 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG