The online racing simulator
A plea to servers
(35 posts, started )
There is a new league starting *cough* tomorrow. We are doing some things to keep interest though, like in the weeks we aren't league racing, we are doing stuff like 25 lap Rally @ Blackwood, MRT's at South City Town, LRF @ Blackwood Reverse, and different types of "game" type events, like train racing, knock-out racing, SUMO, C&R, and some custom-course MRT races at the car park. The point is, you have to have someone advertise a wierd combo, get a few friends to try and be there, and others will follow suit.
Quote from banshee56 :There is a new league starting *cough* tomorrow. We are doing some things to keep interest though, like in the weeks we aren't league racing, we are doing stuff like 25 lap Rally @ Blackwood, MRT's at South City Town, LRF @ Blackwood Reverse, and different types of "game" type events, like train racing, knock-out racing, SUMO, C&R, and some custom-course MRT races at the car park. The point is, you have to have someone advertise a wierd combo, get a few friends to try and be there, and others will follow suit.

where do i sign up.
I have my servers set to different combos all the time, but people never connect. They just run into the full fox servers.
Heh, I've never joined a redline racing server, or a FOX/BF1/GTR server in ages. Just not the racing I'm usually looking for.
I just had nice few races with the FO8

Anyway, I think that the main reason because "odd combos" aren't so popular is because when people go online they expect to have the exact "good" combo available with lots of racers ready for them. I have noticed this in my own behaviour as well. I'll start LFS, search for combos (don't show empty servers) and the typical combos come up always with 10+ racers on them. No LX6, no RA, no FO8, rarely TBO and always GTR at AS3 and FOX BL1. While these GTR and FOX servers can provide some good racing most of the time, they still are just 2 combos out of the 700+ available. Before I just used to close LFS and go do something else, skinning or even outside (:tilt.

I have taken it as a habit to join the OCC server whenever there doesn't seem to be interesting servers and while 60% of the time I end up hotlapping alone, the 40% is always good racing, like just few mins ago or the day before yesterday with the TBOs at AS1R. But it doesn't mean that I love (or even like) the XRT or RB4 or that I liked the AS1R track. But the point is not that you need to like the track or car, the point is that you can have good racing on odd combos because you like good racing. Racing on odd combos is usually close racing because no one knows the combo really well.

I just disagree that it would be the servers' fault that some combos are more popular, I think it is the players' fault. Defenately. I am not saying that the typical combos can't be fun or that driving on AS3 with the GTRs is always boring. Actually that can be good variation to the typical LX6 and UF1 action.

But don't tell me that there is not enough variation because most people are on few servers. There are always others who want to try something different. What I'm saying is that "the different" is probably good to someone and bad to someone else. Person 1 wants XFG at SO3R and other one wants FOX on AS4R while the 3rd one prefers GTRs on FE4R. The problem is that these people aren't willing to try other odd combos but their own.
Quote from Blackout :One thing about servers. It's silly that there are over 400 servers online all the time. Maxium online racer peaks are around 1000 players. Lets say the average server is able to host 19 players, so we could have 19*400=7600 players online at the same time. I see this as a huge waste, we have 1000 players but servers could take another 6-7 thousands illepall

Exactley the problem with LFS servers at mo , just way to many
should be around 100 imo
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from Gener_AL (UK) :Exactley the problem with LFS servers at mo , just way to many
should be around 100 imo

There are alot of servers because there are alot of teams, unfortunetly there aren't 7600 active players every day (hopefully it will get to this) but for now there is nothing that can be done to make the number of server go down, however the number of demo servers is just about right as there are about 200-400 players a night with only 130(ish) servers, which means that you can find servers with more players and less empty servers.

I have not counted but I am estimating that there are at least 200 servers with 3 or less people in them, which is a waste. If anything could be done to reduce the amount of servers is limit the servers to maximum 2 servers per team. But I doubt this will be possible as many players will complain that they need more servers but I find that two servers should be enough. Redline Racing only uses about 2 servers which are in general full out of its three, and many other teams have at least 3 maybe 4 servers so why not just take away the servers that are least used and alternate the combo's on the common server.

Wolfy.
Quote from xWolFx :If anything could be done to reduce the amount of servers is limit the servers to maximum 2 servers per team. But I doubt this will be possible as many players will complain that they need more servers but I find that two servers should be enough. Redline Racing only uses about 2 servers which are in general full out of its three, and many other teams have at least 3 maybe 4 servers so why not just take away the servers that are least used and alternate the combo's on the common server.

I don't see any way, or reason, to limit the number of servers available to a team. I kinda like the fact that I can load an LFS server on my laptop (or work computer on the weekends... I mean, hey, THEY aren't using the T-1 bandwidth!) and run my own server. And I'm not part of a team. Does that mean I should be limited to being able to run zero servers? I see where you're comming from (too many servers, not enough players), but maybe there is a diffrent solution than restricting people like that?
Quote from Shinrar :I don't see any way, or reason, to limit the number of servers available to a team. I kinda like the fact that I can load an LFS server on my laptop (or work computer on the weekends... I mean, hey, THEY aren't using the T-1 bandwidth!) and run my own server. And I'm not part of a team. Does that mean I should be limited to being able to run zero servers? I see where you're comming from (too many servers, not enough players), but maybe there is a diffrent solution than restricting people like that?

Not restricted to 0 servers but a maximum of 1 Dedicated and one non dedicated hosts, teams can get 2 dedicated and one none dedicated. See what I mean,

A plea to servers
(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG