The online racing simulator
A plea to servers
(35 posts, started )
A plea to servers
Can we have a bit more variety on the servers please? I'm bored of seeing everyone playing FOX and XFR round Aston Nat and BL.
what about some more variety for a week? I did some LX6 racing round the K-Ring a few days ago, quite a blast. What about some of the less common variants? Come on guys,a bit of imagination is needed, go try a new combo for a few days!
That is true, I ahve only seen FOX and GTR car server most of the time, and hardly any other combo's. I would wan't to try something different from a change other then getting 1 millionth of a second faster in my FOX.
what about starting a "Combo of the Week" thread in this forum?
I personally think that its not the servers at fault, but the general LFS populus that causes this problem.

There are servers that use less popular combo's, but thats the problem, they are less popular, hence not many people race on them.

It's all about supply and demand.

Dan,
#5 - CSU1
Quote from danowat :I personally think that its not the servers at fault, but the general LFS populus that causes this problem.

There are servers that use less popular combo's, but thats the problem, they are less popular, hence not many people race on them.

It's all about supply and demand.

Dan,

Not really if the server is mid to bottom of the ping list you aint gonna have a good race there So it is kinda the larger servers who depict the combo's....
#6 - Vain
Two things I'd like to write:
1. Instead of having admins guess combos I believe the track select option is a lot more useful. Someone goes online, doesn't find his combo, joins some server with the desired cars and changes the track to the desired track.
That way the track is always what at least one user desired. And it is likely that other people will like the combo too.
2. A "I'm going to race this combo now"-thread. You just go there and say "I'm gonna try some LRF/Fe Gold in 30 minutes, join me if you like." and people will either say "Yeah, great combo" and join or they think of a different combo and announce it in the thread.
The idea behind this is that reading a nice combo and knowing that it is populated pretty much wets your appetite to race it yourself which should generate lots of activity.

Vain
Yeah, most servers can be changed to an odd combo. I often do this, but usually few people (if any) join in the fun. It's definately a people problem. Particularly some people go online for a quick, action packed race. For that you need a busy server. That means joining an exisiting busy server. Which is a vicious cirlce when it comes to variety.

Some incentive would be good. Perhaps every week a combo could be selected for WR attempts. So long as people practise online mostly, it benefits those that have little inclination to hotlap as well.
#8 - CSU1
Quote from nikimere :what about starting a "Combo of the Week" thread in this forum?

+1 Each major server should have its own thread with a poll for the weekley combo???
Quote from Bob Smith :Yeah, most servers can be changed to an odd combo. I often do this, but usually few people (if any) join in the fun. It's definately a people problem. Particularly some people go online for a quick, action packed race. For that you need a busy server. That means joining an exisiting busy server. Which is a vicious cirlce when it comes to variety.

You mean its abit like joining the Redline Racing server?
The STCC server has been very popular over the last week or so running our next event, TBO's at Aston Club. After this weekend it goes to TBO's at Fern Bay Cadet which should be ... well, adrenally conductive .
#11 - Jakg
Quote from Becky Rose :The STCC server has been very popular over the last week or so running our next event, TBO's at Aston Club. After this weekend it goes to TBO's at Fern Bay Cadet which should be ... well, adrenally conductive .

cough - you mean FE1, Fern Bay Club
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Well, I don't know if it helps, but at the moment we have some servers running the 4 combo's MRT @ FE Gold + Reversed and (XFR + UFR) @ SO Classic + Reversed. I will check it tonight, that these 4 combos are running at the servers

*.german-gamers-club.de

where * stands for hot, mdd, rsm and www (basically the tags of different teams in the GGC, except for www of course).

MRT @ FE Green will be 10 lap races with mandatory pit stops. The SO Classic servers will run 20 lap races with mandatory pit stop.

These combos will be there at least until sunday, because they are used for practice for an internal club event in the GGC.

Feel free to race on these servers, you will surely meet some of us there this week. And we need guys to practice with.
I like that Combo of the week thingy,but "Each major server has its own thread with a poll for the weekley combo???" is a bad idea imho. It should be done as the "This month's avatars" Thread. Somebody says a combo and people will race there, maybe upload a few hotlaps too,and at the weekend we could have a big race. At this point it looks like a League to me, so the problem is ( partly ) solved JOIN A LEAGUE and you will have some unusual combos AND friends to race with
I know that not everybody wants to join a league, but why don't U just give it a go ? The 7th Hungarian LFS cup is just starting
How about some RA on Kyoto national reverse!!!
For clarity, STCC is running Aston Club, and will be moving to Fern Bay Club next week. If anyone was confused by me dyslexia of LFS tracks, blame Eric .
One thing about servers. It's silly that there are over 400 servers online all the time. Maxium online racer peaks are around 1000 players. Lets say the average server is able to host 19 players, so we could have 19*400=7600 players online at the same time. I see this as a huge waste, we have 1000 players but servers could take another 6-7 thousands illepall

If you wan't some odd stuff, I would suggest joining the OCC (odd combo club) server and trying to get it back up and kicking. It had superb racing on the first nights it was launched but now I don't see much people on it. Such a shame
Quote from al heeley :Can we have a bit more variety on the servers please? I'm bored of seeing everyone playing FOX and XFR round Aston Nat and BL.
what about some more variety for a week? I did some LX6 racing round the K-Ring a few days ago, quite a blast. What about some of the less common variants? Come on guys,a bit of imagination is needed, go try a new combo for a few days!

Aston Historic in the FOX is awesome. I'll be on line playing this combo for the next two weeks.
OCC already does this. It is just too bad that there aren't too many people joining on the server.

[moan]I have hotlapped countless hours alone on that server with strange combos and very few have joined. I think this thread should be "plea to drivers" instead of what it is now.[/moan]

Quote from Becky Rose :For clarity, STCC is running Aston Club, and will be moving to Fern Bay Club next week. If anyone was confused by me dyslexia of LFS tracks, blame Eric .

Any chance of setting it to more than 4 laps nest time? Like 6?
I found FE GOld with XFG/XRG, 6 laps. ICE server (german)... forgot exact name, but it was excellent race with very close battles at 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th positions. Not many who joined actually finished single race. I don't really understand this "join for quick action packed race" just like I never understood "Quick Race" buttons in other games. illepall I always picked "Championship", but maybe that's just me. Every kid is in such a hurry....for what? the grave?
-
OMG, I was thinking about this in bed last night (sad, I know). There are over 800 car/track combos (admittedly some are a bit samey, but still), so if we had a combo per week we'd have over 700 weeks (13 years) of new servers. Perhaps someone can make some php code on a website so that everyone knows what 'this weeks combo' is. If you miss a combo due to whatever, no worries because most people will be back to square one soon enough.

Yup, OCC is great! Been visiting them a bit recently, and it's a lovely, friendly way to experience new combos! Keep it up!

|
|
\/ XRT at AS1R was good fun. Within 30 seconds of Kev telling me I drive like a granny I was 0.5 seconds faster than him
Quote from thisnameistaken :Me too. I sometimes think people don't join because they see me in there!

Sometimes it is a bit hilarious when people join, they see me, I say hello, and they are gone

I'll be at the OCC soon

And tristan: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=11257
Though it is not what you meant but...

EDIT:
Oki, I switched the OCC server to FO8 at As North rev. A combo you have never driven.

Please come
it would be cool, maybe, if a server could rotate tracks every 4 or 5 races. I know this could be confusing and difficult for some people, but it might be a fun way to get more combos going. I don't know how it would be implemented though.

It might not work so well for a racing sim though, it does seem to work well for FPS games.
-
We try to be very diversified in combos on our server. It's not all-time online - but when it's online, most of the time we have atleast 3-4 team members online. The advantage is: if people see a host with more than one guy driving - it takes about a second until the third joins and so on... But you need at least 2 drivers online.

The server was long time called "Lions Racing Team", not its called "auto² - Facts & Emotions". Alot of TBO on different tracks, alot of LX6, LX4 on different tracks. Currently we have the nearly mainstream combo XFR+Kyoto National activated. But as soon as we get bored (not a long time to go ) we will change it.

Tristan and nikimere already had a go, so far i know. This evening (in 1 to 2 hours) we will be there - always administrated and just there for fun

Hope to see you

PS: Yesterday we had such a good run, we used XRG with Bob's road going set, and the faster ones had to take 4 passengers on board. And all that on never driven before track (FE Gold reverse). So much fun!
Watch my signature. KY and WE with installed lapper/hotlapcounter.

We run KY every tuesday with a different car on the FM Fun! Server.
Yesterday LX6, was much fun with laptimes near WR. Next week is FZ5.

Also there is the Junkies II Series, every car on oval (one every saturday) till february.
Nice trophy to win!

AND: [FM]Fischfix´ 360° Series, longlap races on very wierd combinations.
(FXR on car-park [flat ovaaaaal] rockz!)

EDIT: Happy birthday Sam. (OLD MAN!!!) =)
Sheesh, don't know what you all are complaining about over on the other side of the pond. I take a day off work now and then and jump online around noon my time and I'm amazed at the amount of people, servers, and tracks being used. Evenings here, if you don't want to run GTR @ AS Nat. or FOX @ BL1 on RedLine, then you just go hot lap. 40 people online, 15 at Aston, 15 at Blackwood, and the other 10 are scattered around hotlapping and you can't get a race involved with them for anything.

1500+ laps at Aston National in the FZR. Why? Because I get on to race, not hotlap. Of course, with the stupid forced pit, after a few laps of racing, I'm hotlapping by myself anyways when everyone splits up and pits at different times. I still get on, but my interest in LFS is dwindling down, down, down. A shame, such a fantastic sim.

Yea, the easiest response to this is join a league. Sure, we were suppose to start the league way back in April. Then it was wait until the patch. Then 'our race manager needs updated'. It's starting in August. Wait one more week, we'll run. Here it is October and the league hasn't started yet. Not much options for the US.

You guys might not like Nascar other than to flame, but with NR2003, there are 43 other cars I can run with and they are all as fast as I can make them by tweaking the numbers in the files. And every race I'll have 43 cars to run with and a different track every race.

A plea to servers
(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG