The online racing simulator
LFS MouseLook
(61 posts, started )
Update
Some minor stuff...

v1.0.0.6
- Added check for other running MouseLook processes to prevent two instances running at the same time
- Fix: Small bug at loading asymmetric settings (double-click ranges weren't loaded properly)
- Reversed "Left" scrollbars direction when using asymmetric ranges. Seems more logical that way - you now have to drag the left scrollbars to the left instead of right to get higher range %. To restore the old behaviour, add the line "ReverseAsymmetricScrollbar=false" to MouseLook.ini (or replace it, if it is already existing in there)
very nice tool i love it

but it is still possible to run more than one instance of the programm
i could not see the gui but it was listet three times in my taskmanager
Okay, I'll change the algorithm to some more aggressive "checking" then (read: kill all other processes and just use the currently started as the one and only). Are you sure the GUI's are not minimized somewhere?
im pretty sure there were no GUI`s at all
and btw MouseLook.exe was listed three times in taskmanager under processes but NOT under applications
Well, I'll look after it. How do you reproduce multiple processes? Simply by starting it multiple times?

Anyway, expect 1.0.0.7 in the evening/a few hours.
Update
v1.0.0.7
- Improved check to prevent multiple MouseLook instances/processes

I hope this finally prevents any dead processes lingering around. I still couldn't just kill the other processes on startup and use the current instead, though, because then any changes made in the previously open window would've been lost, and I don't think anyone wants that.
#32 - axus
Absolutely awesome work! I love it.
great job well done !
Now my wheel is working I thought Id give this a go, woorks a treat!
Great program :up:

I have a suggestion - saving multiple setups, one per car.
That way I can have my assymetric setup for the tin tops and symetric for the single seaters. Maybe one per car is not needed, but a way of saving presets would be great. Quicker than changing it every time and having to remember the values. Damn Im lazy
I'll see what I can do about that one
#36 - axus
Android, I think the only reason your program hasn't been a huge success is the name. I only clicked something named "MouseLook" because I was bored and out of curiosity. Get a mod to rename it to something like AdvancedLook I think. You should have a 7 page thread here because of what this thing does . BTW, I'm used to using the look-to-apex thing. I find it helps me judge corners better. Is it possible to monitor steering angle too and make the head turn slightly with that?
LFS Advanced Head-Turn 3000™

Hmm, so you want look with steer... should be possible, I think. Depends if LFS lets me read the wheel turn state, but as the buttons work, this should work too. Then I'll just move the "center" around depending on the wheel position. Good idea!

I guess you can expect an update sometime in the evening (when I'm back from work). Any other suggestions for a name change? Anyone?
#38 - axus
Quote from AndroidXP :LFS Advanced Head-Turn 3000™

Hmm, so you want look with steer... should be possible, I think. Depends if LFS lets me read the wheel turn state, but as the buttons work, this should work too. Then I'll just move the "center" around depending on the wheel position. Good idea!

I guess you can expect an update sometime in the evening (when I'm back from work). Any other suggestions for a name change? Anyone?

I was driving around this morning and no look-to-apex really confused me. I kept overcorrecting slides etc. Its an awesome program otherwise, looking forward to the update!
Quote from AndroidXP :Any other suggestions for a name change?

Racing inspired: "The HAPS device" (Human-Adjustable Perception Supplement device)

Latin: "Muris Cervicus" (the cervical mouse - since you basically control the driver's neck using the mouse axis)

EDIT:
... or would that be "Mus Cervicus"... anyway...
keyboard support
make please support of the keyboard
(LfS) Smooth View
(LfS) Freelook

Very useful Tool btw, Keep up your good Work.
Quote from Highsider9 :(LfS) Smooth View
(LfS) Freelook

Very useful Tool btw, Keep up your good Work.

Freelook? Is that that free TrackIR kind of thing that uses a webcam? I've tried to get that to work and never could.
Update
v1.0.0.8
- Added preset system
- Added steer look (look-to-apex)
- Changed the rather confusing "L" and "R" descriptors to "«" and "»"

Finally - that one took quite some time. Anyway, the preset system should be pretty self explanatory; you can add, rename and remove presets, each of them storing a complete set of "View settings".

The steer look, while being a good idea initially, turned out to be a two edged sword. First, once you turn the wheel it will immediately recenter the mouse cursor, which can be a little annoying when navigating through LFS menus and accidently touching the wheel. Not much I can do about that :worried:. However, I've now disabled any mousecursor movement overrides while MouseLook is focused... trust me, before I did that, it was really annoying.

Second, the movement is not smooth. With everything set up as I explained in my original post, a one-pixel movement of the mouse (which is the minimum I can move) will be quite a noticeable jump of the look rotation. The only way to fix this, is messing with "Look sensitivity" and "Look centre reduction" in the LFS options, though doing so will affect the outcome of all other MouseLook functions. If you do something, I'd recommend tweaking the centre reduction, as this is affecting MouseLook less - for example, 0.66 seems to work pretty well. You'll probably have to adjust your look % after fiddling with that, though.

On a side note, I didn't have the chance to fully test out everything, so I've let 1.0.0.7 up there, too.
Just done a quick test and it works fine here, good work :up:

Quote from AndroidXP :Finally - that one took quite some time.

??? 26 hours and 24 minutes after I requested user presets and 16 hours and 36 minutes after axus requested "look to apex" you posted a new version with both requests implemented. Astonishing really

Or maybe you were being sarcastic?
No, it really did take me longer than expected. The main time was spent writing the preset system, as I had to completely rewrite how the values are stored and how the ini is read. Implementing steer look was more like half an hour figuring out how to handle the input from multiple connected wheels and implementing it, but in total no more than 10 lines of code.
#46 - axus
Heh, doesn't really work out. Its way too unsmooth without center reduction and with it, the whole system goes haywire - ie. reverse view is in the wrong place etc. Perhaps use a Shift+U camera and control its rotation (not sure if its possible)... that way I guess you could get smooth resutls. That's really only if you're a masochist and want to program car heading into it because LFS doesn't turn the view with the car turning. This would be a huge project probably you can set follow car but I'm not too sure that even does it vertically. And you'd also have to program the vertical view angle... basically, don't bother.

LFS does have some form of TrackIR support, no? Is that abusable?
Wait wait, adjusting look centre reduction will only alter the movement around the view centre, and make the conversion from % to degree non-linear. It should not mess with looking back. Just the % values from primary and secondary range will have different results than before.
If you change look sensitivity, THAT will mess things up.

E: Oh I think I understand. Look back could be a bit messed altogether. It could happen if you look back left and steer to the right, then it would move it away from the rear centre. I'm going to fix that in 1.0.0.9.
#48 - axus
Wait, I may have been a shmuck, I'll get back to you on that one.
As for steer look, it should be disabled on button-press.
Yes, that's what I meant. I will make the button press ranges not influenced by the current amount of steer look.

1.0.0.9 should then come sometime this evening. Oh and btw, I'll not implement keyboard support for now, because as simple as it sounds, it would add a whole layer of complexity to the system. I might do this later if I figure out an intelligent way to do it, but definitely not for 1.0.0.9.
Turns out I had my annual graduation meeting yesterday, so I guess you can expect something today instead

LFS MouseLook
(61 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG