The online racing simulator
Starting Grid - Suggestions
(13 posts, started )
Well hello there.

I would like to know if there's any way to set up a starting grid "manually".
I mean, as a server admin or using an add-on or something like that.

I'm asking this because i race on the brazilian league (http://instaseg.com.br/lfsbr/modules/news/) and we've got there the following setting:

We race two batteries each race.

Qualify + Race (1st battery)
Reversed Grid (reversed from the last battery finishing positions) + Race (2nd battery)

But it seems that it would be a bit more fair (and interesting) if we used the 1st battery qualify as the starting grid of the second battery (reversed, of course).

The problem is that is not practical to do it "manually by the pilots".
And i'm not even taking into account the punishments and other stuff that affects the starting grid.

So, in short, i would like to know if someone can deliberately choose and set up a starting grid "at will".

It would *greatly* improve our league.

If you guys have any suggestions, at all, i would love to hear them.

Thanks a lot,
Cheers from Brazil
+1

Possibly you could do it now by ending the race, and having people join in the correct order?
#3 - SamH
+1.. I think.. definitely for admin being able to specify starting grids, anyway.

By the way, there is a config option to have the start grid be the reverse order, already. In the config, set:-
/start=reverse

You can also type that in the track selection screen, I believe. To switch back to the normal way, just put:-
/start=finish

I'm not sure if that's what it is you're looking for, but I have a feeling it is.
i think that was suggsted in improvements section.

just for now i got an idea of additional 1 lap race - formation lap which reverses the grid twice.
Yeah, we already have that:

/start=reverse

That's how it's being done nowadays.
When i said it wouldn't be practical for the pilots do it "manually" i was referring to use the qualify in reverse order as the starting grid to the second battery.

We're running into some troubles by using that start=reverse thing.

As i said, there are penalties and whatnot to be taken into account (people who spec, ie don't finish the 1st battery, starting in the front on the second one and stuff).

We've got a pretty good grid (at least 20 people, always, and that's a "changing grid" - only the best 20 hotlaps [we've got a lot more than 20 people signed up at any cup] are allowed to participate on any given race) and it's just not as fair as it could be or practical, if you know what i mean.

Well, so... there ain't any way to do it manually by an admin (or using a add-on or anything, really), today. Is that it?

That's too bad.

We would really benefit from such a thing.
An admin being able to set up a starting grid manually. It shouldn't be that hard to programn, right?

It would really make things a lot more easier and ineteresting.
It would give us a lot more of control over our league on a practical way.

Oh and while i'm at it, it would be nice if admins could set penalties on the go (we have race marshalls watching our every race in real-time) such as drive-troughs and stop-and-goes.

I hope my idea isn't stupid.
At least for us it would be really good, sincerely.

ps: And i'm sorry about my poor english, this is not my main language, you know hehe, thanks again.
Quote from Meanie :
Oh and while i'm at it, it would be nice if admins could set penalties on the go (we have race marshalls watching our every race in real-time) such as drive-troughs and stop-and-goes.

correct me if im wrong but... they can
yes, they can

/p_dt USERNAME :give drive through penalty
/p_sg USERNAME :give stop-go penalty
/p_30 USERNAME :give 30 second time penalty
/p_45 USERNAME :give 45 second time penalty
#8 - SamH
I'll move the thread into Improvement Suggestions, since there are some suggestions here that haven't yet been implemented
AFAIK, you can setup a grid manually in the pre-race screen where you choose your track, laps, cars, etc...

+1 for the other suggestions.
Quote from SamH :I'll move the thread into Improvement Suggestions, since there are some suggestions here that haven't yet been implemented

That's cool.
Since the punishments are already doable i would like to get some feedback on the starting grid thing.*

*Which, by the way, is the main thing in this thread hehe.

Thanks

edit:
Quote from Tweaker :AFAIK, you can setup a grid manually in the pre-race screen where you choose your track, laps, cars, etc...

+1 for the other suggestions.

Do you know "how", Tweak my man?
You "END RACE" (shift-x), and enter the pre-race screen. It is just like setting up a group of AI cars in Singleplayer. You can sort them a few ways:

1) Remove them with the little (-) button to the left, and ask each member to join when you call their name

2) Make sure everyone has joined and you see their name in the list, and you would join the list aswell, and you can sort people by using the "swap position" button.

They are a bit difficult, but I remember [ZT]Chaos suggesting this a while back: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=5605
Just have an admin end the race.
This brings u to the trackselection screen where u can set up the starting order (either by players clicking "switch position") or by an admin dragging playaer to the right place on the startinggrid.
Note that the players will have to join the race manually, so an admin cant drag a spectator into a gridslot but he can switch cars positions
Thanks a lot for your help and suggestions!!

But i think that it could still be an improvement suggestion (as in an admin being able to do that a lil more easily, in a more user friendly way), what do you guys think of it?

It could still use some improvement, for sure.

(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG