The online racing simulator
Anybody on Plusnet and having Problems? ( POSSIBLE FIX FOR YOU )
Hi All,

Just a heads up if you are, and you have upgraded to the MAXDSL option, and also LFS is really suffering. I "had" this problem, and thanks to the kind techies at plusnet, they found a fix, and here it is posted below.

What I mean as in LFS Suffering, is when you try to find Servers, instead of the usual 30-40 ping, you get 100-500 ping, for ALL servers, except 1 or 2 where they are 30ping.
Quote from PlusNet :Dear Customer,

As you may know, our ADSL equipment terminates in Telehouse in London. 3 (60%) of our aggregation routers are in the building known as Telehouse North, the remaining 2 are in Telehouse East.

Telehouse have had some power issues recently and we have lost power in North wtice in the last 2 months.

See the following links for further information:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2 ... ehouse_powers_down_again/
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2 ... telehouse_power_problems/

This has meant that relatively more customers are on the 2 routers in Telehouse East thus causing the ADSL connection to run "hot" either at or very near to full capacity.

Please perform a traceroute to www.plus.net and look at the traceroute, you should see either hop 1 or hop 2 will be something that looks like lo0-plusnet.pte-ag1.plus.net. This tells you which router you are connected to, in the above case it is pte-ag1 which is AGgregation router 1 in Telehouse East. As this is one of the servers that is currently running near capacity, if you see pte-ag 1 or 2 in the traceroute then I recommend that you disconnect your ADSL and reconnect a few times until you get onto one of the routers at Telehouse North (these will either be ptn-ag 1 ptn-ag2 or thn-ag1).

So I hope this fixes your problem like it did mine

Regards

Fordman
Switched from Plus net ever since they capped/stopped usenet traffic. What's the point of a high speed connection if you can't transfer any data?
Quote from Bob Smith :Switched from Plus net ever since they capped/stopped usenet traffic. What's the point of a high speed connection if you can't transfer any data?

They cap it "or the fair usuage" policy but tbh BOB, even the moddest IE user would struggle to break it, something like 50gb per month, and if you did break it, then you are illepall
#4 - P1lot
My ISP, Vispa, had a similar thing that their 2 fat pipes wouldn't distribute the connections evenly. So they recommend reconnecting several times to get on the 2nd pipe which is less populated. Though a 3rd pipe is planned to come online soon, so loads of capacity
Heh, in this house we downloaded just over 2TB (yes, terabytes) in around 12 months. Need a dedi connection or something, but just too damn expensive.

I'm currently switching to an ISP that gives me a 90GB per month peak + 360GB per month off peak cap, which is far more sensible.
2TB :jawdrop: :faint2:
According to my router i do about 10GB every day. Så 2 TB are not wery unlikely for mr. Smith. According to my calculations i do about 3.650 TB a year. on a 1.5 Mbit connection.
#8 - SamH
Quote from Bob Smith :I'm currently switching to an ISP that gives me a 90GB per month peak + 360GB per month off peak cap, which is far more sensible.

Get NTL or Telewest, if you can, and then you're unrestricted. There's no fair usage policy in effect, or even discussed... unlimited is unlimited.

If you can't get either of those, while you may laugh at the suggestion, AOL is a viable alternative. You don't need to use their software, and you don't have to use their proxy server network (unless you want to..). AOL's connections are completely unrestricted, just like cable.

The only problem is that you then have to admit to using AOL. To counter that, AOL L2 do have full and unrestricted access to BT Wholesale configuration systems, so you don't get sucked into that "It's your ISP's problem/It's BT's fault" infinite loop that every other ISP puts its customers through.

If, for whatever reason, bandwidth is a consideration, you have to consider AOL as a solution.
Well I am happy now, as I said. I don't go anywhere near my limits, and also I am on a 20:1 contention ratio ( yes I pay extra ). Cannot get cable full stop, as they stopped cabling in Cambridge, bypassed me totally, and then started again in Norwich
They have electricity in Norfolk?
#12 - SamH

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG