The online racing simulator
Slower and slower after every race
Hey all,

I've just bought LFS recently and have been playing my way through the training modes. One thing that i have found which is really annoying is that if i re-start a training lesson (particularly overtaking ones) every time i run it i get a slower frame rate. Here's an example gaming session to make it clearer:

1. I start up the game, go to training and pick Lesson 80 (Aston Overtaking FXO GTR). On the grid i'm getting 35fps average. Take off and crash on the 1st corner oops :-).
2. Press escape, the replay comes up, then i press "Try again".
3. I'm back on the grid, except this time my average frame rate is about 25fps. Drive away and crash again (or finish the race doesn't matter), restart the lesson and now my frame rate is 12fps.

Every time i restart the lesson the frame rate drops, down to the point where the game is not playable. The fix is to quit out of LFS, wait 5 seconds and open it back up again. Then the 1st race is at full speed, and subsequent races get slower and slower. The effect seems to be less when their are no AI players.

I have tried closing all un-necessary programs down on my pc, i only have 14 processes running in Task Manager and they are all Windows components i can't close. Whether i do this or run the game with all my usual programs running doesn't seem to effect this. Yes the game runs slower with firefox/azureus etc etc running in the background, but the same pattern of slowdowns occurs.

My pc is a P4 3.0GHz with 1gb RAM, ATI 9700 video card. I've tried new ATI drivers (6.3 and 6.9 catalysy). I've just ordered a new video card (7800GS as i'm stuck with AGP), don't think it'll fix this problem but the game will run better with it no doubt.

Has anyone else seen this problem before? Any suggestions on how to fix it, it really bugs me having to restart LFS every 2nd game.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
:wtf2:
#3 - kaynd
With the 9700 u should have at least 80 fps…especially in the training or sp mode (online the performance drops as the number of the cars increase) I had more than 80fps (1024*768 noAA no AF) with an 9500pro…

So you have general performance problem… check if cpu or graphics card is overheated during the game.

If you don’t have any monitoring program, download from here speed fan http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

As for the graphics card, this model don’t have monitoring system so you have to touch it to see if it is extremely hot… but expect to be hot, its expected…

Α workable temperature is around 60οC (140oF), under pressure, of course lower is better…

If you are running other recent 3d games without that instability then the problem isn’t the high temperatures…

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG