The online racing simulator
Live for Speed sound potential
(66 posts, started )
Ok, I am sure that many people have done this before using LFS tweak or similar, but for those who havent it will be useful and interesting to know. Now I have heard many people complaining about the "poor" sounds in LFS, and I too also hope for improvements.

Anyway I tried the XRT editor in Becky Rose's LFS companion, to mainly see what changes I could make to the cars sound. Now after a few hours I managed to produce what I thought were more realistic sounds than currently used in LFS. However the settings used were slightly abnormal too achieve these sounds. Anyway what I learned is that with only a few tweaks the devs could quickly and vast improve the current sounds.

In addition I tried to make some sounds based on real vehicles. Have a listen and tell me what you reckon...
Attached images
Sound.JPG
Attached files
Porsche 911.mp3 - 938.4 KB - 1378 views
Giallardo or Carrera GT.mp3 - 938.4 KB - 1105 views
Harley Davidson.mp3 - 938.4 KB - 1077 views
I'm suprisingly impressed with that, if you combined it with a graphic equaliser to cut out certain ranges for the exhaust exit point, and put that through my rear speakers, with the original LFS sound up front, I think it could sound really quite convincing, assuming additions of transmission and drivetrain noise.
I think those samples are good example of how LFS sounds sound wrong on high revs. They are just too clean.

I think LFS sound ok on med revs (try the RA) but awful on high revs

EDIT: still good sounds
#5 - Vain
I listened to the 911 and Gallardo sounds. Actually quite comparable to the real counterparts.
Of course these sounds miss the gearbox sounds and it's quite difficult when you've got the real sound from the interior, with the gearbox sounds and chassis-sounds in mind. (I never drove any of them in stock fit, only witnessed/drove some 911 in racing-trim myself and know some onboard footage from a Gallardo (Raeder Racing Team, germany, quite remarkable car) )

The 911 you made sounds quite similar to the 911 the Raeder Racing Team used in 2003. So credits for that. ...At least with a bit of imagination because of the missing gearbox sounds.

Vain
LFS has the capability sound really good.... I don't understand why it hasn't got much attention with actual development. This does sound pretty cool.... I'll be honest. But I do believe LFS is still lacking at least 1 or 2 other extra sounds to go along with it. Or even better rev limiter sound and better feeling of power when at higher RPMs.

Sounds good :up:
The sounds sound good.

As far as im concerned, i'd rather have a a working game with no bugs before sound and graphics. IMO what we got atm does the job nicely (even though they do sound weird, they do their job.) And it seems like its real easy to get realistic sounds on what we got atm, so i guess that the good sounds are being held back for a big update / full S2
Quote from Hyperactive :I think those samples are good example of how LFS sounds sound wrong on high revs. They are just too clean.

I think LFS sound ok on med revs (try the RA) but awful on high revs

EDIT: still good sounds

Yeah, I would definately agree with you there. Most real engines become much rougher, louder and more violent at high revs, and yet LFS engines almost become calmer at high revs.
Sounds nice. I hope the patch V will have improvments to the sounds, don't really care when it comes out (Christmas holidays would be nice thou :shy but something should be done. Another thing I hope is that they won't make the roadcars sound silly, there could be some sporty sounds but they should remember they are stock...but I know they are smart guys so I don't have any worries there

edit. Yeah, the high revs sounded a bit weird there, and they almost started to hurt my ears because of the resonance or high pitch..or something :P
I think the Harley one sounds best I think it shows the potential of the sound system quite well with the difference in volume depending on throttle openings. Kind of neat. Yes, I know that you can hear that in all cars in LFS, but it's kind of exaggerated for this sound, which is correct for the type of engine/exhaust...
Unfortunately you can't change the firing interval so it's not quite like a true Harley (single crank pin like a WWII radial engine). It's more like your standard Japanese cruiser with a much more even firing interval for less vibration. That said, I agree, it really does sound quite good, like a metric cruiser with straight pipes.
Quote from Michael Denham :I think the Harley one sounds best I think it shows the potential of the sound system quite well with the difference in volume depending on throttle openings. Kind of neat. Yes, I know that you can hear that in all cars in LFS, but it's kind of exaggerated for this sound, which is correct for the type of engine/exhaust...

I have to agree.. The HD sound was niiiiiiice.....
The others very good as well... Would be nice to have a lill better sound quality in LFS when it comes to the cars...
I like those a lot. I think that it does show how well LFS simulates the sound based on what the engine is doing. Yes, it could use more elements, but these sounds show how with a little tweaking, we could get some more rich sounds out of what we already have.
I think the Harley sound is very close to the ALMS Panoz engine too. I love the sound of that car
wee, some nice sounds you got there.
would love to see them implemented in the game
Nice sounds Although I presume theres no way to tweak LFS to use these sort of sounds with the cars, without modifying its performance figures/curves too?
Quote from Rtsbasic :Nice sounds Although I presume theres no way to tweak LFS to use these sort of sounds with the cars, without modifying its performance figures/curves too?

Unfortunately not as far as I know, and for some sounds I had make some very weird changes to the engine performance which didn't suit the car at all.

However it would be good.
Oh my... :bowdown: those sounds are awesome..!! I would install and use them straightaway if you release something for it....

(only if it's without having to change engine performance though )
Quote from RoCkBiGdAvE :As far as im concerned, i'd rather have a a working game with no bugs before sound and graphics.

Well I'd argue that we do have a working and relatively bug free game now.
Sound is part of the immersive experience and my opinon is that now a good time for the devs to allocate some resources to improving the sound.

I'll also bet half my nostril hairs that they are working on it now.
LFS needs improved sound, and it needs it NOW, TBH, I would say that one of the key aspects that now stops LFS feeling as immersive as the next best sim is sound.

Everything else is as good as or better than the next best sim, but the sound is SORELY lacking.

Dan,
Sounds no different than when S1's LFS tweak allowed for increased "raspyness" in the options. Definitely sounds better than stock, but it still sucks compared to just about every racing sim out there.
Quote from RoCkBiGdAvE :

..........The sounds sound good............

........they do sound weird.........

To me most of the sounds sound weird.. which is not good. The GFX and sound definitely need updating.
Quote from BWX232 :To me most of the sounds sound weird.. which is not good. The GFX and sound definitely need updating.

Were you talking about the current sounds in LFS or the sounds I "made"?

I think that the devs would only have to play around with the sounds a little to get some improvements. I have tried to show that this is possible even without full access to the system which generates sound, so hopefully it will provide encouragement for the devs?

And yes with other effects, i.e. loud drivetrain noises, gearchange noises and other simple effects added into the equation and I would think that LFS would then have the best sound immersion out there?
Yamakawa's sound expansion also shows how easy it is to make LFS sound much better with only using some OutGauge mods. My conclusion is that Scawen just doesn't care about the sound department.
#24 - Mc21
Quote from deggis :Yamakawa's sound expansion also shows how easy it is to make LFS sound much better with only using some OutGauge mods. My conclusion is that Scawen just doesn't care about the sound department.

True.

The sounds sound ok.. Till high revs. It's supposed to sound more fierce when higher revs. It sounds more fierce when low revs in LFS
I thought Victor was in charge of sound..?

(66 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG