The online racing simulator
Live for Speed sound potential
(66 posts, started )
Quote from deggis :My conclusion is that Scawen just doesn't care about the sound department.

I wish your conclusion is wrong, for the sake of me having a sim to spend my time with.. I've wondered why the sounds haven't been overhauled, and as time goes by I become even more anxious about what's going on.

But like we all know, there hasn't been any news on the development so we just have to keep our fingers crossed..
Quote from danowat :LFS needs improved sound, and it needs it NOW, TBH, I would say that one of the key aspects that now stops LFS feeling as immersive as the next best sim is sound.

maybe im the only one here who feels this way but i dont even precieve the engine sounds lfs produces anymore once i immerse myself into the game
the only sounds that make it into my conciousness once im 'in the zone' are tyres and every now and then the note of an engine that needs a higher gear (which you cant hear in any sample based game btw)
Quote from DaveWS :Were you talking about the current sounds in LFS or the sounds I "made"?

Yeah I just meant the default ones..

Last year I was still patient and waiting.. now I just don't care and can't stand to listen to the horrible fake buzzing sounds of LFS anymore.

The "crashing into the walls" and other "collision sounds" are the worst - its like they took the skid sound and just amplified it 10000 times.. Just horrible.

No other important sounds like gear whine, transmission, environmental, etc, etc.. 5.1 directional is important, but missing.
I think the Harley sounds the best, but to be honest I don't really like any of the sounds which come from the current sound generator LFS uses. They are functional but very synthesised. Very one dimensional. Yama's outgauge approach seems like it has good potential, but still needs work (for instance in replay view, there's no adjustment in volume taking into account whether cars are near or far away). I would be surprised if Scavier weren't working on the sounds, as most other elements in the game are highly tuned.
Quote from BWX232 :The "crashing into the walls" and other "collision sounds" are the worst - its like they took the skid sound and just amplified it 10000 times.. Just horrible.

Also known as "sounds that destroys your ears and headphones". Annoying thing #1 in LFS.

AFAIK those are generated from the tyre sounds. E.g. when you crash and car flips over the sound comes when the tyres touches the ground with high force or something like that. I've put volume level 5% in ScapeHard.raw and ScrapeSoft.raw sound files, it reduces the sound a bit doesn't remove it completely. As a drawback now I cannot hear if the suspesion has been fubared. Replacing those files with files empty files with same name doesn't work either, the collision sound just gets even weirder. I think it would be possible to completely remove those but then you'd had to make ALL tyre sounds silent...

It's quite ridiculous that sometimes I fear more hearing that sound than actually getting crashed and ruining my race.
#32 - Vain
Quote from deggis :Also known as "sounds that destroys your ears and headphones". Annoying thing #1 in LFS.

Well, I guess that the real sound of your car crashing is quite annoying too, so I don't know wether it is too unrealistic.
Does anyone have some experience in crashing cars against walls at speeds above 100km/h?

Vain
Quote :Well, I guess that the real sound of your car crashing is quite annoying too, so I don't know wether it is too unrealistic.

Good point.
Quote from Vain :Well, I guess that the real sound of your car crashing is quite annoying too, so I don't know wether it is too unrealistic.
Does anyone have some experience in crashing cars against walls at speeds above 100km/h?

That is a lame point.
Quote from Vain :Does anyone have some experience in crashing cars against walls at speeds above 100km/h?

I saw a video once (though I suspect at the time of impact the car was only travelling around 80kph), it sounded pretty bad , but LFS lacks breaking glass and flying objects in cockpit.

40kmh into the back of another car didn't really surprise me in terms of sound, was too smooth I guess.
I also assume that smashing into the wall that fast is realistic. The crash sounds are a way of keeping wreckers away. If a wrecker hurts his ears by hitting someone, then maybe he will learn his lesson!
Quote from deggis :My conclusion is that Scawen just doesn't care about the sound department.

He is only one man...give him a break. These guys want to make the best sim out there, and they're already a long way in the lead in a lot of departments, which takes time...would you rather currently have amazing sound and rather average tyre modelling? He has to prioritize....
You guys making excuses for that horrible crash tire sound are getting ridiculous. We all know what it sounds like when cars crash... it is nothing like that at all.. I have also deleted that sound.. but as stated it does not fix it completely.

Maybe that's why the sounds still suck.. people keep saying they are fine. The crazy part is they won't even allow people to mod existing sounds to their own taste. I am confident many people could improve on them greatly if given a chance.
Quote from BWX232 :Maybe that's why the sounds still suck.. people keep saying they are fine.

Maybe it's just because they're still under development!! Scawen is not dumb, he knows that there are lots of improvements to be made in various aspects of the sim, he just has to get his priorities straight. He will get to everything in due time.
BMX - there was humour in their posts - they know it's bad, and they aren't pretending otherwise. Turn on your sense of humour, and stop trying to belittle everything about LFS. I believe you like the sampled, no-physics, cartoony rFactor, so perhaps the 'go for teh bling' option (including sounds) isn't a good one.

As someone said above, what if LFS had gone for sound/visuals before physics? Yes, that's right; it would be another 'crap generic' racer like all ISI 'simulations'. Scawen will get round to it - if he doesn't I'll buy you a house. A nice one, with a little picket fence and a mini-moat.
Quote from tristancliffe :Scawen will get round to it - if he doesn't I'll buy you a house. A nice one, with a little picket fence and a mini-moat.

I'm almost hoping the sounds don't ever get improved now, just so I can see this mini-moat you speak of!
BWX232, almost every post I have ever seen you make about LFS is a criticism or is negative in some way. Is there anything about LFS you actually like? Frankly, if I disliked something as much as you appear to dislike LFS, I would have deleted it and moved on to bigger and better things long ago. Life is too short to waste your free time on things you don't enjoy.
Quote from Shotglass :maybe im the only one here who feels this way but i dont even precieve the engine sounds lfs produces anymore once i immerse myself into the game
the only sounds that make it into my conciousness once im 'in the zone' are tyres and every now and then the note of an engine that needs a higher gear (which you cant hear in any sample based game btw)

+1

I want sounds to be informative, so I know what is happening with the tyres, the engine, and what the other cars do. The rest is just "ear candy".

A case in point: sounds from incidents (crash, gravel pit) from other cars carry further than the normal sounds (engine, tyres). If a car that is way behind you goes off track, you can clearly hear it, even when its engine sound is already inaudible. Not realistic, but very informative. IMHO the devs made a good choice there.
I'm going to give you more sound editing options in later releases, this will give you the ability to modify the sounds without changing the engine or performance in any way and could directly be used by the devs.
Quote from BuddhaBing :BWX232, almost every post I have ever seen you make about LFS is a criticism or is negative in some way. Is there anything about LFS you actually like? Frankly, if I disliked something as much as you appear to dislike LFS, I would have deleted it and moved on to bigger and better things long ago. Life is too short to waste your free time on things you don't enjoy.

No, he hates LFS, but as all the alternatives are much much worse then he's drawn back like a verruca, and we have to put up with him wanting eye and ear candy all the time.

Eventually he'll either bugger off and work out the 'point' of LFS, or Scawen will get around to fixing the stuff he detests. But then he'll be lost, because he'll have eye-candy, ear-candy AND physics, and will explode in a burst of misunderstanding.
I'm wondering how the cylinder stroke is generated in LFS.
Looks like it is dynamically generated using engine capacity and other parameters, like engine type, etc.
Maybe there is some room for improovment.

One thing which is annoying me is: too less volume boost while engine braking. When I reduce from 3rd to 2nd in my real life car, the volume boost is really high, just lik when pressing gas pedal to the metal. But in LFS it is almost unnoticable. Maybe engine braking in LFS is tooo low but this is topic tor a different story.
Tis the only thing I prefer about GTR2 over LFS, the sound is amazing.

BUT like some people say, i'd prefer lfs in mute to GTR with sound so I'm glad they've got the important bits right first
Quote from Becky Rose :I'm going to give you more sound editing options in later releases, this will give you the ability to modify the sounds without changing the engine or performance in any way and could directly be used by the devs.

Wow, yeah that would be really really good.
And one think about Car Sound Remixer. I take a ride with it, and I have to say that the sounds are not perfect but these additional sounds makes LFS a way more playable. The feelings that you are in a real car are much stronger.

For me right now working on car sound should be 2nd most important thing for the devs. Physic are of course the most important.
Quote from yaper :For me right now working on car sound should be 2nd most important thing for the devs. Physic are of course the most important.

I absolutely agree that the sounds are the most important thing to be improved after completing the physics department for the S2. You know that i was totaly against those sampled sounds, i even made a thread about thanking the devs for chosing this syntethised way of making sounds, and even though i still support that of course, after playing some Lupo Mod for rFactor(desperately trying to like rF), i have to say that we really really need a sound improvement, so that car really starts to sound like a car..
It's a total immersion when you are on the straights and car start to whine on high revs, and those random engine sparckles, i have to say it IS a nice touch. I too get kind of upset when firing LFS these days, when there are a lot of cars bussing along the way, it is kinda disturbing sound, especially from the spectator camera. My brother and my mother get really upset when they hear LFS, it really iritates them, and i have to say, it irritates me too lately.
I don't say, drop the sintesysed sounds and go with the samples, NO WAY, i am just saying that it would be nice if they pay atention to that department more now, because you see how easy really is to make drastic improvements to the sounds like some people here allready did(Yamakawa, this Car mixer thing, etc..).

Live for Speed sound potential
(66 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG