The online racing simulator
So who's starting/back at Uni?
(38 posts, started )
Yes, I have joined the great nation of young, unwashed bums around the country by finishing off my degree.

Who else has moved around the country to be a bum?
I added a screenie of my awesome timetable this time around.

Perhaps on a more serious note, any questions about Uni life I'm sure those of us more experienced with Uni (and those "old" people who actually have jobs) will be happy to give advice.
Attached images
Final Year Timetable - Semester 1.PNG
well im not at uni put i am starting a levels. although iv already changed my mind and had to swap my subjects around, i doubt ill be going to uni. its too expensive for a poor boy like me

EDIT: ooh your at newcastle now. nice to have more lfsers in north east i say
Quote from Leifde :How can hacking be ethical?

My thoughts excatly when I saw that pic, what on earth is that?

Assuming "Hacking" is meant in the mass-media sense; Penetration Testing is considered Ethical Hacking?
#6 - herki
I'm going to the FH (kinda like Uni here in Germany, just a bit more practical-orientated) next semester, i.e. the summer semester
Bob, what are you studying? I want that timetable!

I'm starting my first year doing Computer Network Management and Design this year - this is my timetable: http://www.eng.rgu.ac.uk/Sessi ... /Groups/BScCN&MD1.pdf

Looking forward to it

If I have any questions, i'll give you a shout!
#8 - Vain
Wow, you're getting timetables over there? We just get told what exams we need to have passed by the time we want to apply for the final exam for the degree. Pretty much "Here are the required exams. See you in a few years."

There is a basic guideline though, which can be pretty tough at times. 60 hours a week usually.
... That is when you're studying something worthwhile. Not japanology of something that only qualifies you for the dole.

Vain
Soo, you students (sorry, bums), do you already have an idea/plan of what you're going to do in the future? Is there a set goal that you try to reach by studying the "right" subjects? Or did you just take what sounded interesting? What did you lot choose, and why?
just starting my second year (of 5) and Brunel uni and im studying motorsport engineering.... Im doing it because i have always been insanely mad about motorsport and would like to have a chance of getting a job somewhere in the industry afterwards.

has anyone else done motorsport and got a job in it afterwards that could give any advice?? next year i hope to be doing a work placement and i will be writing to some places soon so i need as much help as i can get!! lol
Started final year of computer aided automotice design today
Theres no advice from me at the minute.
Timetables not bad either, especially as i go down pub thursday
Attached images
Untitled-2.jpg

Hacking is buildind/adapting something to suit your needs link. But as far as what is commonly seen as hacking, most white hat hacking (for a good reason) is seen as ethical. Where as black hat is the other end of the scale.

I started back today sort of, though due to major confusion somewhere, I've been told three different things by the same guy, so I had no idea where I was supposed to be and when.
#13 - Vain
Quote from andy_bonjon :has anyone else done motorsport and got a job in it afterwards that could give any advice??

I'm doing a general engineering degree (and also have a special interest in racecrafts). A typical hint would be participating in university-related projects like FSAE if your university participates. If the university doesn't, start a project.
By the way such a project is a great excuse for doing the national race-driving license.

Vain
Here one more. So far in this month I have just paid the "entry fees" (about 70€ here both semesters) and... mmmh, nothing else . Actually I even wouldn't need to study at all, because I earned too much money on my summer job to get any "student aid" on this year. Yeah, in Finland studying in uni doen't cost much, and the state give money for it too. But the money is usually too little, so one needs to have a job to make a living. Of course, then if you earn enough money you lose the "student aid", even if you work at summer when you get 0€ "student aid" . And you get much more money as unimployed than a student so if you're doing bad at uni, you'd better just drop it

Last year, so basically I am just finishing my degree with all the courses I have not done yet plus trying to find a "final subject" to be something related with mechanical engineering.

So it is just exams every 2 or 3 weeks, so I have way too much spare time
Quote from kidzer :Bob, what are you studying? I want that timetable!

I'm starting my first year doing Computer Network Management and Design this year - this is my timetable: http://www.eng.rgu.ac.uk/Sessi ... /Groups/BScCN&MD1.pdf

Quite similar module to my first year - I'm taking Computer & Networking Technology (final year) at Northumbria University. I've found my timetable gets smaller every year since you're supposed to be doing more at home.

And yes, ethical "hacking" is penetration testing kinda stuff (i.e. ethical cracking).
Cool, your course title sounds similar to mine

AndroidXP: I chose my course with the hope that it qualifies me to get a job in the IT/IT Networking Field, because thats always been my main interest - and only thing im good at except from busines and music (not naturally talented with music, i just work at it alot!)
I've been taking anywhere between 2-4 classes at the local community college for the last three years or so. They've been a combination of hey-that-looks-interesting and take-the-same-class-as-my-aspiring-doctor-girlfriend classes mostly; a lot of math (fun!) and psychology (bleh) sort of stuff. The only school near me has jack-diddly available for computers or music, the two fields I still can't really decide between. The former I'm sure I'd enjoy much less, whereas the latter would be harder to make a living at :S I'm moving from my small town of 8000 to the San Francisco bay area in (hopefully) a couple months time for a cush job dispatching for the highway patrol, so I'm looking forward to having much better curriculum (and more money!) available once I get settled in. My old lady is about a third of the way through a bachelor's degree working entirely online. She's got a pretty nice setup; perfect for hermits like us
Lazy bummers, same thing every year. We get the timetables just before the term starts, and it'll still be provisional a week into it..

But I'll post it if I remember, once I do get it
Attached images
tt06.JPG
Quote from Vain :There is a basic guideline though, which can be pretty tough at times. 60 hours a week usually.
... That is when you're studying something worthwhile. Not japanology of something that only qualifies you for the dole.

Uhm.. my first 2 years have 79 hours in total, so roughly 20 a week.. (well I'll do 28 this term to have even less in the end)
So.. now that I have only a third of your hours.. is Physics not worthwhile?

Also 60 hours a week (assuming the five-day-week) would mean 12(!) hours a day? You should consider sleeping there to save valuable time.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :Lazy bummers, same thing every year. We get the timetables just before the term starts, and it'll still be provisional a week into it..

But I'll post it if I remember, once I do get it

Wow, do you goto Salford too ;p we see crap like that all the time. My current timetable is filled with blanks as they didn't sort out a room for that period. Total shambles.
Hehe, sure you it's Salford and not Southampton (Solent) you go to It's the same thing here too, rooms are mixed up and usually even in the middle of the term there's a problem. Either we have to change rooms or not get one assigned at all, and have to go looking for one all over the compound, rofl.

Even worse, when everything does go smoothly, it stops going smoothly once you enter a PC/network lab because 1) the lecturer isn't there, 2) the practical material isn't there, 3) the network's file server has crashed 4) 20 ppl try to load Linux on to VMWare, through the same network 5) some of the PC's aren't working, 6) the lecturer doesn't know what to do when we hit a problem 7) [insert reason here]. You get the point..

I'm looking forward to going back though, these last few weeks before the term starts are such a flipping drag
I've just started Computer Aided Mechanical Engineering at Oxford Brookes
Gonna start again mid of october
Reminds me to start learning again soon to be a bit prepared...
Unfortunately, I won't be back at College this year. I was doing a one year foundation course (I can thank the lazy staff at my highschool for that ) and was planning on starting a 4 year course this September. Of course, I found a way to screw it up. I got extremely sick just after New Year's, and wound up missing nearly half of the second semester, failing 3 classes. Of course, after failing 3 classes, my offer of admission for the degree program was revoked. 2 of the classes I made up in May, the other I'm doing online right now. If all goes well, and I get accepted to the program again, I will be back at College beginning my first of 4 years in the Bachelor's Degree of Industrial Design program. (2 years late, though... )

Quote from AndroidXP :Soo, you students (sorry, bums), do you already have an idea/plan of what you're going to do in the future? Is there a set goal that you try to reach by studying the "right" subjects? Or did you just take what sounded interesting? What did you lot choose, and why?

When I'm back at College, I'll be taking a 4-year Bachelor's Degree program in Industrial/Automotive Design. I wanna be a car designer. My dream job would be either working on a high-paying LMP/GTP/LeMans team helping develop the aerodynamic side of things, or failing that, working for Hotwheels (I'll have more design freedom )

Quote from andy_bonjon :just starting my second year (of 5) and Brunel uni and im studying motorsport engineering.... Im doing it because i have always been insanely mad about motorsport and would like to have a chance of getting a job somewhere in the industry afterwards.

has anyone else done motorsport and got a job in it afterwards that could give any advice?? next year i hope to be doing a work placement and i will be writing to some places soon so i need as much help as i can get!! lol

Since you're in to Motorsports and the Engineering side of things, I'll assum you've heard of Mulsanne's Corner. The guy who runs the site, "Mulsanne Mike," got a degree in Industrial Design (like what I'll be doing). He started out in a product design company, but he volunteered his time on weekends to race teams at a local race track. That volunteering eventually led to a job at Riley & Scott IIRC. I'd suggest contacting him via email through his site about how to get a job in the field. He might be able to offer a bit of insight.

(38 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG