The online racing simulator
LFS is less LAG tollerent
(10 posts, started )
It is very hard for dial up users to even play lfs anymore... I can understand not wanting laggy people in servers but I mean the littlest bit of lag can make you time out. ALOT of people im sure have this problem even with their low speed dsl. Maybe scawen could whip up a little patch. ( and yes I have my automatic download skins option off)
Quote from klbbadd2002 :It is very hard for dial up users to even play lfs anymore... I can understand not wanting laggy people in servers but I mean the littlest bit of lag can make you time out. ALOT of people im sure have this problem even with their low speed dsl. Maybe scawen could whip up a little patch. ( and yes I have my automatic download skins option off)

What lag are you talking about? I think that LFS has one of the best netcodes out there. I have even played with people from the other side of the world and there was no visible lag. If you are having time outs in LFS you really have a crappy connection or your ISP has problems.
#3 - ORION
There is no racing game with better netcode than LFS... with 56k you can play with up to 6 players or something... in Need for Speed (bah) you have lag still when everyone has 100Mbit...

The main 56k problem is packet loss, which cant be incluenced by any code, it' just like that.

Also, by far most racers are from europe (like 50%), and only 13% from the USA. Thus most servers will be located in europe, and your ping will not be nice then. the usual 300ms + another few hundreds...
So you have baisically a ping of half a second.

But I guess you are right aswell.. in a way.
There is nore data that needs to be sent (I guess at least), because of the new damage / telemetry features etc.
-
(CSU1) DELETED by CSU1
Quote from ORION :There is no racing game with better netcode than LFS... with 56k you can play with up to 6 players or something...

56k dialup here (actually, usually connected at 45.5 or 46.6k). My limit is around 18 players. That's not for lag, that's for framerate at the start. I rarely have a problem with lag on less than 20 player server. I know as I ask others if I'm lagging. I connect all over the world too from the US. Australia might lag more, but I race UK, Germany, Brazil, Canada, and US all the time. Very rarely have lag issues, and if I do, I'm thinking it's more the server than me since I can leave and connect to a different high occupancy long distance server without a problem.
Don't think lag is because of low bandwidth (i.e 'speed'). One connection to server uses so little bandwidth in LFS that a modem should manage it just fine. Usually large delay (-> lag) is because either your ISP or the ISP of the server has some trouble (traffic or just problems). Naturally it can be cumulative delay from long distances, but usually it is your ISP if you know it is not a long 'jump'. Some ISPs seems to have habit of undersize the resources and I bet operators are not putting much money in dial up connections nowadays.
#6 - ORION
aahhyes I remeber that count in my head (6 Players) was from old times when my ZT team mate Devil 007 was hosting with his 56k, and a maximum of 6 players could join there. This was by far the best 56k server because it seemed to have some magic bandwidth lol
Quote from ORION :aahhyes I remeber that count in my head (6 Players) was from old times when my ZT team mate Devil 007 was hosting with his 56k, and a maximum of 6 players could join there. This was by far the best 56k server because it seemed to have some magic bandwidth lol

OT - Why is everything from Est magic? The drivers are uba fast, the connections are uba fast, damn even the bearings in the wheels are uba greased, where does it end
#8 - ORION
#9 - _Rob_
Devil007 is Czech
Quote from ORION :There is no racing game with better netcode than LFS... with 56k you can play with up to 6 players or something... in Need for Speed (bah) you have lag still when everyone has 100Mbit...

The main 56k problem is packet loss, which cant be incluenced by any code, it' just like that.

Also, by far most racers are from europe (like 50%), and only 13% from the USA. Thus most servers will be located in europe, and your ping will not be nice then. the usual 300ms + another few hundreds...
So you have baisically a ping of half a second.

But I guess you are right aswell.. in a way.
There is nore data that needs to be sent (I guess at least), because of the new damage / telemetry features etc.

+11111111111

(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG