The online racing simulator
Upgrading RAM
(14 posts, started )
#1 - ajp71
Upgrading RAM
I'm wanting to upgrade my RAM, however, I can't use the online RAM selectors because I don't know which model (of Packard Bell) I've got. The Crucial RAM selector program can't work out what my PC is either. I know I have got two slots (one 512, one empty) because I've physically checked.

I've got a few questions

1. How do I go about finding compatable RAM, will any DDR-SDRAM work?

2. Do I have to upgrade equally (been thinking about 512 + 1GB)

3. Does memory vary in quality? Is it worth replacing the current RAM?

CPU-Z report http://thegreenhell.rscsites.org/cpuz.htm
1. Yes, your motherboard is currently running 184-pin PC2100 DDR SDRAM. Other faster types of DDR1 will work just fine (i.e. PC3200, aka DDR 400, not to be confused with DDR2 400), but you'll have to make sure the RAM speed is set in the BIOS manually (not by SPD or auto) just in case the SPD on the new RAM overrides the old RAM, thereby overclocking your old RAM. I think there are protections against this occuring, but it is good to be safe. DDR2 is not compatible.

2. No, you don't have dual-channel so you don't have to install in pairs or anything. Any size will do just fine.

3. Yes, it varies quite a lot. Generally cheap name brand stuff works just fine, though. If you want faster timings, you're going to have to pay a bit (sometimes a lot) more. I'd keep your current stick and just add another 512MB or 1GB.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
So it doesn't matter if you mix brands of memory? I can't remember where but I'm sure I've heard not to.
#4 - Dumpy
It'd be like wearing two different socks.

It usually doesn't make a difference unless they're drastically different specs.

EDIT: nice avatar btw ;-)
Thanks, I always wondered why, I guess there's no reason.

P.S. I had it first
#6 - ajp71
You don't need ECC. I'm pretty sure your motherboard doesn't support it either. So you want the second one, the cheaper one.
#8 - ajp71
1. There should be a setting under Advanced or something. To get into the BIOS, you have to hit a key when the POST (Power on Self Test) first comes up. It's usually Del but sometimes F2. It should tell you on the screen. If it gives you a ratio, you'll want to set it to 1:1. If it gives you clockspeed numbers, you'll want to set it to 133 (or 266, depending on how it displays it). This is not to be confused with the FSB (Front Side Bus) clock speed.

2. Yes, Crucial is one of the more popular name brands.

3. Both of those will work fine. I don't think Buffalo is that well known, though, and I've only had limited and very brief experience with them at work. At the very least, they work. I cannot vouch for their longevity.
Some OEM motherboards are VERY picky about ram. I tried putting an a 512MB stick of PNY with the correct specs into my dell, and my computer locked up. Then I had to get ram that was meant for my mobo.
@wheel4hummer: That's probably because it required ECC, or maybe even Registered ECC. Dell does crap like that.
Installed an extra GB of RAM, now up to 1.5, thanks for the help
Thought i'd bump this thread rather than start another.

So I am looking at upgrading my PC to 2GB of RAM.
I had a quick look on ebay & saw a 2Gb stick delivered for £26

Should I be looking to get 2x1GB & run them in dual channel mode or just get one 2GB stick.

Also is the above a fair price, the brand is PNY.
I'd take the 2x1GB and run them in dual channel mode. It's also more than likely that you'll never need more than 2GB or RAM.

Upgrading RAM
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG