The online racing simulator
Classic F1 & NASCAR wannabes
(27 posts, started )
The file swap mentioned here by [RCG]Boosted has been developed further: here is a sketch of a mod. I think, I'll make a separate executable when I install the necessary software (searching for a standalone C++ compiler for WinXP).

It makes
1) something loosely resembling a NASCAR vehicle: XRR with RB4 body, without downforce.

2) something resembling classic F1 cars (like those in GPL):
FO8 without downforce with MRT5 body (can do 380 km/h)
BF1 in the same style (440 km/h :tilt

Think again: NO DOWNFORCE, very hard to drive on non-oval tracks.

Unpack this file into your LFS folder. There are two .bat files which handle files in data\veh folder. Backup that folder to be safe.

Run CARS.bat. It renames some .vob files in data/veh, runs LFS, and when you exit LFS, it rolls the files back. If your system crashed or you closed the batch occasionally, just run rollback.bat.

WARNING! You may spoil your normal setups if you modify them under this mod. Make new setups and adjust them so that modified cars were drivable.
Attached images
LFS 2006-09-15 01-04-55-01.jpg
LFS 2006-09-15 01-05-42-39.jpg
LFS 2006-09-15 01-10-19-70.jpg
Attached files
GPL_NASCAR.zip - 506 B - 541 views
FORMULA V8_mod.set - 132 B - 517 views
BMW SAUBER_mod.set - 132 B - 557 views
XR GTR_mod.set - 132 B - 680 views
ehehe all my fault
As for setups, I've figured out that the most important thing for these terrible open wheellers is tyre pressure. Max pressure potentially gives more speed, but it makes them undrivable. Over/understeer regulations distribute tyres heating.
yea the FO8 set is quite drivable, but the BF1 is a beast lol, cant handle it even not on the oval...need a wheel
lol, that MRT "60s formula" looks mean.
Hehe, some proper cars! Although BF1 without downforce is just a bit mad, the FO8 is genuine controllable fun. Attached some alternate sets.

Haven't tried the GTR yet.
Attached files
BMW SAUBER_mod_bob.set - 132 B - 363 views
FORMULA V8_mod_bob.set - 132 B - 332 views
this looks like great fun! and the rb4 looks wild!
Would this be possiable to import other modeled cars?
i dont know how to swap the cars like that ? how do i do ?
i dont see Where i can see that
any help plz ..
thnx
#10 - Jakg
Quote from Sgt.Gunlee :Would this be possiable to import other modeled cars?

nope, fraid not
Quote from Dennis93 :i dont know how to swap the cars like that ? how do i do ?
i dont see Where i can see that
any help plz ..
thnx

by swapping the .vob's around
Didnt help
what and where should i swap the vobbels and on ?
lfs/data/veh - there are the .vob files.
ex. LX.vob XR.vob if u switch the names of these 2 they will swap the chassis.
i swiched the names but it only switched the body
Yes, that's the idea. But it removes downforce, thus allowing the car to be faster in a straight line, and more challenging to drive.
Quote from Bob Smith :Yes, that's the idea. But it removes downforce, thus allowing the car to be faster in a straight line, and more challenging to drive.

and to look wierd
Quote :1) something loosely resembling a NASCAR vehicle: XRR with RB4 body, without downforce.

Er, I keep reading everywhere about Nascar and having no downforce on their cars. Nascar cars have downforce. They have a rear spoiler for downforce and use the front fender shapes for front downforce. They have so much downforce in fact for that type of racing, that Nascar the sanctioning league is trying to cut down on it to make handling more important for the racing. This just has been bugging me for a while about folks commenting that Nascar has no downforce on them.

And you should use the FXO body rather than the RB4. That would look more like stock car racing.
I think that people should start a NASCAR league somehow, racing like FZR for one, FXR (with balance set to full RWD as possible), and the XRR too, all in seperate races, and maybe use the reverse layout, and have a road course or 2 thrown in (KY2 and Fern Bay?). Mix it up a bit, instead of the lame BF1 oval ****ups.
I think that if people continue to want to drive Nascar in LFS, they should just run NR2003. LFS isn't a Nascar sim where NR2003 is. It is a VERY good sim, second only to LFS (maybe third to LFS and RBR, never drove that one). LFS doesn't have stagger, weight bias, grill tape, 4 speed gear boxes, proper drafting physics, and countless other settings and features that could simulate Nascar type stock car racing. You can't change just right side tires, you can't say no to fixing damage in the pits.....

Also, stock cars don't run in a clockwise rotation, so KY oval reverse would be wrong for that type of racing.

So, to all that want to race Nascar, go get yourself Papyrus Nascar Racing 2003. It is an excellent sim. That is why it is going on e-bay for $150-200.

LFS is a UK/European type racing simulator. NR2003 is a Nascar simulator. Use the proper tools to race what you want to race. You don't complain that more people should use a socket wrench to pound nails into wood, when you have a hammer to do that. The hammer is designed for pounding nails. You don't really need to design that ability into a socket wrench.

Perhaps a bunch of folks would like to get together and run a session of NR2003? You guys did it with GTR2, didn't you?
Quote from mrodgers :Er, I keep reading everywhere about Nascar and having no downforce on their cars. Nascar cars have downforce. [skip]

And you should use the FXO body rather than the RB4. That would look more like stock car racing.

Yep, I know that NASCAR vehicles are very different, and that's why I've written the keyword: "loosely resembling".
Anyone up for some hotlaping contests
nascar? it's not nascar but something in that direction...

look at my signature

btw. tomorrow the first qualifying will happen, so anyone who wants to join the league is welcome....
Detail, how did you get round the rule?

Quote :4) Any "mods" - modifications to the Live for Speed exe, must be discussed with a moderator before being released on the forum. If a mod is approved by a moderator, it may then be released in the appropriate section of the forum. Please do not contact a developer as we do not support mods and do not have the time to deal with them. Any mods which change the shape of a car model, or which allow online cheating or circumvent HLVC, will be rejected.

Sorrys to be a spoil sport and all that.
Because, it isn't changing the car model seggons, it is switching car models which I presume is allowed because we have talked about it before with no issues.
That has been discussed, no body shapes are being edited, they are just being swapped between cars.

Additionally, no files are being edited, so in fact this is not even a mod at all, just an automation of a hack that can be done entirely in explorer (or via the command prompt if you want to be really geeky).
Quote from seggons :Detail, how did you get round the rule?

Sorrys to be a spoil sport and all that.

Besides the mod only worsens the characteristics. You can't make a quicker lap in any of these cars at any track. If someone goes online, he risks a ban for too high speed on the straights, though he won't have any advantage on the entire lap.

BTW, I think, it's possible to make a PHP app. to check the uploaded hotlaps. Run LFS with InSim opened, then run the replay at 32x speed and delete the hotlap if there would be an OOS error.

(27 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG