The online racing simulator
CRT Monitors, give it to me baby!
(9 posts, started )
#1 - MR_B
Hey all, this may sound a little odd but here goes.

I need a monitor, pc monitor that is. Probably CRT... I know a lot of people get lumbered with them and I require one for when I head off to uni in the next couple of weeks.

Is there anyone in the Southend-on-Sea, or Coventry area who'd want to give their old beasty to a good home?

Let me know below or by pm if you're too ashamed to own up to having one.
ebay is your friend. Assuming you're willing to pay money of course, but this Compaq P1210 baby I'm using was £750 new, £99 on ebay. Bargains to be had if you're willing to look.
I think some decent 21" CRT's are still being made. Anything over 19" is going to be rather heavy, though.

I love CRT's and picked up a nice Sony FW900 24" widescreen one. It's basically a 21" CRT with an extra 3 quarters of an inch on either side, but it's extra high res. Most 21" CRT's only go up to 1600x1200. This one will do 1920x1440 (standard 4:3) and 2304x1440 (16:10 widescreen) at 80 Hz. I love it but I have to admit, it's a real pain in the ass to lug back and forth between school every semester as it weighs 100 lbs and it's huge.

Phillips apparently makes a 21" CRT that does 2048x1536, but I don't know at what refresh rate. Brand new here in the US, it's $450. PHILIPS 202P73/27
I'd recommend checking your local freecycle area, people are always getting rid of CRTs, and everything on freecycle is...FREE.
Either that, or try asking on your local LUG mailing list - theres always at least one geek with some CRT that he / she may not want.

I, for instance, have 2 decent 17" (i think) that I'd like to get rid of; at some point, but haven't quite got round to mailing the list about. Which is a shame, as I'm about 110+ miles away from Coventry
#6 - MR_B
Not having much luck at the moment. Next step....walk the streets and look!
#7 - ajp71
That freecycle site is a great idea, several monitors available in my area. I've actually got an old 17" CRT monitor (1999, Tiny branded) despite being 7 years old I think it is actually a better quality monitor than the newer (17" Packard Bell CRT) monitor I'm using atm. The only disadvantages with it are that it is bloody heavy, maybe won't support bigger than 1024 x 768 and it has an older (much bigger) type of connection.

Is there an easy way to (for a few quid) convert the connection to a modern type of monitor connection? My graphics card has support for a second monitor, which I guess if not processing 3D graphics won't drop my LFS fps much?
I'm not quite sure by what you mean about a "much bigger" connection. I know some Viewsonics (I think that's the one) have a 2-row connector rather than the standard 3-row, but I think they're the same size. They come with cables with the 2-row connector on one side and the 3-row on the other.
#9 - MR_B
check Maplins they tend to have bits like that...

Aww nuts i can't check the feecycle... Don't have a yahoo

(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG