The online racing simulator
S3 Sound?
(35 posts, started )
#26 - Vain
It's really very difficult to hear. I am still under the impression that the sound doesn't reall fit the action in the video, mostly in the sliding-bits and where the load of the engine should have changed noticably.
But that might just be from the loud music.

So you're saying you're not playing a pre-recorded sample over some LFS-footage? In that case I'd like to ask how you did the skidding-sounds, because they sound horrible.

Vain
Quote from Vain :It's really very difficult to hear. I am still under the impression that the sound doesn't reall fit the action in the video, mostly in the sliding-bits and where the load of the engine should have changed noticably.
But that might just be from the loud music.

So you're saying you're not playing a pre-recorded sample over some LFS-footage? In that case I'd like to ask how you did the skidding-sounds, because they sound horrible.

Vain

lol the skidsounds i found here in forum... i liked them more than the original ones...

btw: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=12647 lets talk there
Quote from tristancliffe :All it needs is a few tweaks here and there and it will show the way to GTR/rFactor/ISIcrap4

"Few tweaks here and there"? If it's that easy, how come we don't already have an amazing sounding sound engine then... if we just had Todd Wasson in the dev team because Todd's sound engine sounded already better than LFS.

I'm wondering is Scawen interested in the sound department at all. And don't give me that "wait for S3" answer. There haven't been basicly any, not even tiny improvements since S2 alpha. With tiny improvement I mean things like removing that amazingly annoying sound when you crash your car (or not really a sound because it is generated from the tyre/suspension sounds).

And these little sound mods only shows how easily you can make it sound at least a bit different... and modders can't touch the source code like Scawen can. The only BIG problem with these sound mods (yamakawa's, that other not released sound expansion mod, Becky Rose's LFSC and this muffler thing) is that soon we will have to run 10 separate sound mods... you modder guys should work together.
#29 - p1u
Quote from Becky Rose :Some aspects of LFS' sound engine are very good from a technical point of view.

It still sounds crap though.

Very crap I say.
I think you'll find I said a few tweaks, not a few EASY tweaks. The system we have is damn good, not from a quality point of view, but from a feedback point of view. It's probably about 1000% better than any sampled sound in this respect.

Add a bit of roughness, a few other channels (transmission whine, coughs and splutters, a degree of randomness etc), and a few other (perhaps sampled) overlays on top of the existing engine sound and it could be awesome. I don't think Todds is THAT far ahead of Scaviers, it's just that Todd HAS done some of this and Scavier has so far been concentrating on other things...
Quote :soon we will have to run 10 separate sound mods... you modder guys should work together.

Yeah you should all get together, get your stuff together, go and knock on Scawen's door and just dump all this stuff in his lap and let him sort through it all. That way, it's his decision (with the other devs) what goes in and what doesn't- they're quality control. That way the potential chaos of a multitude of mods gets rolled into the game so everyone can experience the same thing. They mightn't like any of the sounds- or maybe they have ideas for something even better, but atleast you could try providing some material. The sounds I've heard so far from all these guys are great IMO- a few rough edges here and there but still a lot better than we have now. Scawen might just appreciate the effort
Quote from tristancliffe :I think you'll find I said a few tweaks, not a few EASY tweaks.

Ok, it just sounded like that.

Quote :I don't think Todds is THAT far ahead of Scaviers, it's just that Todd HAS done some of this and Scavier has so far been concentrating on other things...

Indeed, Scawen's concentration on sounds has been complete zero. That's what worries me. Scawen's better start to give some hints about sound improvements in the near future patches (what the hell does "near future" mean in LFS's case anyway? ) because I just can't dream that we would suddenly get a brand new sound engine in S3 if we won't get any actual improvements before that.

I think those preview samples Todd posted few weeks ago is the best prove so far that synthesized sound engine could actually sound like a real car and not a food mixer.

And I'm not against generated sounds. Everytime I play some other game I have to wonder why the car sounds like it just stalled when I lift the throttle. But correspondingly LFS just completelly lacks the great feel when you accelerate and the engine starts to ROOOOOARRR..
Indeed, and I can't wait for Scawen to say to himself 'this week I'll be mostly coding sounds'.
Quote :Todd Wasson

Where can I find Todd's stuff?

S3 Sound?
(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG