The online racing simulator
S3 Sound?
(35 posts, started )
S3 Sound?
Is this for real? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iOJ4vRCy1Y

I found this on youtube.com, it says its a preview of the sound for S3, if it is then I'm in, how do I buy the license? lol

Da Fish
#2 - Vain
No, it's just the sound of some randoms car's laid over some S2-footage. And it sounds crap. Everyone can hear that the sound doesn't fit the video.

Vain
#3 - aoun
Love the sound though, soo much more realistic!
yeah, these sounds aren't LFS's, but I don't think it's so difficult to make car sound like this, if other sims can, SO CAN LFS!

Keep up good work
#5 - Lible
Quote from alliennas :yeah, these sounds aren't LFS's, but I don't think it's so difficult to make car sound like this, if other sims can, SO CAN LFS!

Keep up good work

Well, other sims sound booooring too. You'll get tired, if your car accelerates with the same sound all the time.
Quote from Lible :Well, other sims sound booooring too. You'll get tired, if your car accelerates with the same sound all the time.

Well not sure, for example rFactor and/or GT Legends has quite good sound quality
But they are useless sound effects. You can't predict wheelspin from them, or use them as accurate gear change points because they are just recordings slightly manipulated in real time. The only way to generate realistic sounds is via real time generation, and LFS does this already. All it needs is a few tweaks here and there and it will show the way to GTR/rFactor/ISIcrap4
Some aspects of LFS' sound engine are very good from a technical point of view.

It still sounds crap though.
i will upload a video of new muffler sounds in s2 i will do tonight next days... near that s3 video but no fake
just info: the sound is from skyline gtr ztune. on the video xrr(is that it?) is using gtr skin too...
Sound improvement...
Sound aint that bad right now. It could just use some equalizing...
Engine noise could use more low to mid frequencies. Its to dominant on the treble. (say more sports exhaust boom...)
Metal scraping sounds awkward and gravel and grass noise could use some
tuning to tyre speed. That would be perfect.
It might only need an on the fly frequency filter.

Dont know too much about this stuff.
forgot
I forgot: the gear changing noise is missing?
Some really decent, almost unhearable effect could add some sensation.

Loudness should be related to throttle power.
i like the way the devs has realized the real-time sound engine as well. It has so much potential and i bet, with some tweaks here and theres it could be even better in every single way then just adjusting the pitch of wav/mp3... files. What i really love right now is the sound of the turbo, but there has to be a slider in the audio option to make it louder
Quote from Becky Rose :Some aspects of LFS' sound engine are very good from a technical point of view.

It still sounds crap though.

Think you hit the nail on the head there, technically its the best way to do it, shame it sounds like a gang of angry wasps in a tin can though

Dan,
Quote :i like the way the devs has realized the real-time sound engine as well. It has so much potential and i bet, with some tweaks here and theres it could be even better in every single way then just adjusting the pitch of wav/mp3... files.

It's a good system. But it does need some beefing up. Maybe a wav/mp3 which went along with it, which added beef. ? Don't know . Heyen, I liked your points, especially missing gear shift sound (really needed). The samples (wavs) which exist now for the game I really enjoy.

Scawen's having trouble adapting his sound code to Vista atm, he might need to try something else. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise?
You are all right!

For doin it completely different and in real time the devs dont have to be ashamed of the sound engine.
Maybe a simple 3-band frequency equalizer in the sound options would already please about 90% of all gamers (*cough*) - drivers?
The engine note in some cars is fine, but the FXO and FXR are horrid! But the main problem isn't the engine noise, what we really need are other noises from the car; like gearboxes and turbos whining, "clunks" when you change gear, suspension bottoming and topping out, backfiring, etc.

I want a car that sounds like it's going to kill you, like the one in the video.
Quote : I want a car that sounds like it's going to kill you

Yeah. haha. It's all a bit too sedate at present. But it will depend on the car. You don't want the GTI to sound like it's going to kill you...
I think that a subtle layer of sampled sounds, not replacing the engine sound, would go a long way. Something like the system yamakawa is making but only for drivetrain sounds, possibly random rattling/vibration noises at higher speeds and maybe backfiring/dump valve sounds (if those can be timed/calculated realistically).

I think already this addon just adds drivetrain noises (rfactor ones ?) to the FZR without tampering it's engine sounds (atleast that's what it seemed like since I hadn't toned down the engine volume in game) and it sounds pretty good.
xaotic,

thanks for pointing out that thread. If those guys manage to pull off what they're promising...

Oh yeah!
Quote from xaotik :It sounds alot like Apollo 440.
(hint: maybe if the music was a little quieter or nonexistant we could also hear your work better)

preview, not final
music is to loud to hear the muffler sound correct
Quote from Scrabby : music is to loud to hear the muffler sound correct

yeah, music is bit too loud, but thats ok, its just a preview...

its not like that s3 sounds video, this one here is INGAME... so easylie possible to create for the devs, also couz muffler sound is also synthetic but sounds very real (in case of RAC it sounds like porsche muffler).. ill open a special post about it...

and ill upload the final video without music next days...

S3 Sound?
(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG