The online racing simulator
Just Another Noob Question :-)
(13 posts, started )
#1 - GLN
Hey guys, it's my first time posting here since i've got the game, which in itself ain't that long ago

I was wondering about something...

Yesterday, i was racing on a server using the Fox. I had this great battle with some guy called glop for the fastest time. It went back and forth between us. I led for a long time with a 1min9.80 time but then he just drove a stunning 1.07

I was a little curious so i watched him drive and i noticed a couple of things...

1. on upshifts, the engine revs went through the roof :-)

2. on downshifts, he could instantly go from 6th to 4th or whatever, like you can do in a real car?!

I'm obviously new (read: not Schumacher ) + i'm driving solely with the keys but i think those 2 things bought him some laptime?!

I'd appreciate it greatly if somebody could tell me how you do these things:-)

p.s. should i go and buy the momo wheel or go for the G25? i live in belgium and i have no idea when the G25 is going to be released here.

p.s. 2 : some suggestions for unmissable add-ons? only got that analyze for speed + car skins @ the moment

Hope i didn't ask for too much

Thx Guys
well when watchign replays even if he is lifting off, it will sometimes show him as flatshifting. same for downshifts and upshifts. if he has a gaited shifter he can shift from 6th to 4th.*

the g25 is awsome. i say buy a wheel from a nearby store. and when the g25 comes out, just return that wheel to store and get g25.
Also, if you're using the keys and have the aptitude, you could bind the num keys to be shift direct to gear, so you could go 1,2,3,4,5,6,4,3,1, rather easily. I know that even with my wheel, I can paddle shift down from 6'th to 4th almost instantly.
1. The revs went thru the roof because he didn't lift off the throttle when changing gears. The FOX's engine doesn't get damaged from flatshifting up, so there's little reason to lift off. To be able to do this as fast as possible make sure you are using a manual clutch (it's a fraction faster than auto) and you don't have throttle cut on upshift enabled because it automatically cuts revs when you shift up whether you lift off or not.

2. You can do that too, just tap the downshift button twice, fast. Some cars, including the FOX, don't get damaged easily when overrevved. It might be a bit unrealistic, I can't say for sure as I've never driven a single seater, but it works. It is a more effective way to brake than shifting down at low revs (exceptions apply) because you are using engine braking as well as foot brakes. When you do this, make sure it's with a car that can handle it. The FXR doesn't like flatshifting and downshifting such as you described at all. Also, preferably manually, blip the throttle when you shift down in quick successions to prevent the driving wheels from locking as they momentarily unload.

You might also consider trying keyboard + mouse as the mouse gives you smoother steering and/or throttle depending on how you set the controls up.

Is it just me or is for example the XRT faster if you turn off the throttle cut on up shift?
Quote from kurent :Is it just me or is for example the XRT faster if you turn off the throttle cut on up shift?

yea, turning off cut on up shift will make the turbo cars a little faster because it will hold a constant boost pressure, instead of cutting the throttle and then having to build the pressure back up. It's not going to take a full second off your laptime..lol...but it helps a little
its faster with every car, not just turbos.
when u press F9 u can see the tires and g-forces.
just watch it when u shift with that method, it gives a little boost, brought me a half second on BL / XFG when i changed to that method.
lol..ok...i never really played around with it that much...but it SHOULD only make the turbo cars faster..lol..it shouldn't have any effect on N/A cars.
of course it should work for all cars.
its easy, while shifting the engine revs up but the next gear isnt at max rpm so there will be a rpm drop what produces energy and that energy doesnt get lost anywhere. darn sorry not my best day with english lol.
i hope u get what i mean.
There are some good texture mods out there that I would redownload if I had to reinstall. I also couldn't live without Keygetys' Ghost mod -- I play by myself a lot.
Ghost mode sucks. Just drive online with other players. There you can learn much more than in single player and you just get good setups. If you have a god set you don't need to flatshift by downshifting. There are many ways to improve your Brake. Just look at your brakesetsup and your clutchsetup.

To the Questiion of the wheel. look for the Logitech driving force pro. Never buy a black Momo. It has many bugs. g25 is to expensive in my opinion.
On the contrary, ghost mode is great when you don't have a proper internet connection. Thanks for the advice though?
Quote from Dumpy :On the contrary, ghost mode is great when you don't have a proper internet connection. Thanks for the advice though?

Different strokes for different folks.

I've had the black momo for 2 years now. The only problems were fixed by a patch from wingman (the sudden loss of full accleration) and an occasional cleaning out of the pedals. I haven't done that in 6 months or so, with no problems.

I'm planning on buying the G25, but am a little concerned that the wheel itself is larger. I rather like the small wheel. None-the-less, I wouldn't necessarily rule out the momo black, as you can get it cheap, and it feels very good (for the money).

(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG